Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: DB Technologies Sub 15D

Default DB Technologies Sub 15D

Hi

I bought a pair of these a few months ago. They're very compact, very light and seem reasonably well made but that's all I have to say about them. They are painted with thin black laquer which chips really easily and in terms of sound, I'm seriously underwhelmed by them. I wondered if anyone else has them and feels the same.

For a piece of kit that boasts 133Db peaks, I just wonder where Db Technologies got their measurements from. We've tried them in various places and in various configurations - Side by side, stacked and stage R/L. They just don't do it for us - a pair of lesser specification (but heavier) Mackie SWA1501's would frankly wipe the floor with them. We contacted DB Technologies who sent a defensive reply and then when, asked for more back up advice, didn't bother to reply at all. Poor kit and poor customer service - just what you need for £1500.00.

We've paired them with RCF722a's and perhaps that is part of the problem. The RCF's are very impressive and overwhelm the subs to some extent. They have to be backed off to the point where it's not worth using such a powerful speaker. I'm kind of stuck with the subs now so any advice or suggestions on getting the best from the set up would be appreciated. I previously used an HK 2000 system which sounded fantastic so I don't think there are any issues with signal strength / quality etc.

Hi Paul,

Please take a moment to pop over and introduce yourself

http://www.forum.mobilediscodirector...splay.php?f=32
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs

apologies for not intoducing myself - i though i had.

I use the db sub-15 the non digital version and know several DJ's that use the digital version with no problems. I myself have used a single with over 500 people and it works fine.

Have you ever used a bandpass enclosure sub before? They are not a bass bin but a sub. So are only required to provide the much lower frequencies below the 100 - 80hz range. The punch you feel in your chest is normally provided around the 50 - 65hz range. So is normally provided by the satellites not the sub when in normal use.

Maybe you have not set yours up correctly or you sub has a fault. The mackie swa range cannot touch the db subs they have been tried side by side on many occasions and although some people are mackie fans and some are DB fans on whole the Db sub-15s are the better speaker especially when it comes to reliability.
    The covering is a black resin based paind and can be easily bought or you can make some using platicoat resin mixed with black glass paint. If you are having probems with chipping I would recomend fitting the plastic corner protectors with plack extrusion plastic down the sides. This works very well and my sub is now in its third year and still looks good. I know some people use padded covers in transit to protect them this may be worth looking at as well.
    When the world ends , ill probably have to clean up the mess.

Default thanks

Thanks for replying - yep, I've bought some covers for both the subs and the RCF tops. I like my kit to look pristine expecially for hotels, weddings where appearance is important.

As I said, the RCF tops are amazing and I expected more from the Db's but it gives me confidence to know that other people are happy with them and leads me to think I need to experiment more. I can't think it's a fault - I have two and they sound the same (although I do think one is slightly quieter than the other. The problem is, Db Technologies themselves are not so helpful so I'm looking elsewhere for advice.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Not a problem. I did have a problem and had to contact DB found the person I dealt with very helpful and had the sub repaired in under 5 hours from the call. I can't remember his name but he had a very heavy italian acccent I believe he is the importer for this country. If I remember his name I will post back.
    Dont forget as well that the rcf tops are more than double the power output of the DB sub and it takes more power to produce a low note than a higher one. I use DB 402's with my sub they are rated at 129db and are 450 watts each. I find these match fine. To match the rcf tops you would really need a sub with a maximum output of of 136db+ like the TT plus range for example. Db do do more powerfull subs but you tend to end up in the line array section.

I think the subs are really created to fill a niche. Better than the mackies , not quite rcf but lighter than both. In that capacity I am very happy with them. I rarely have crouds over 200 but when I have, I have been surprised how the sub managed.

If you go to the DB website they list the recomended tops to match the subs and the power rating is lower than the rcf. Mind you saying that they do recomend for larger venues 4 subs with 2 tops. Maybe the ration is similar on what you would need to get the best out of your rcf's.
    When the world ends , ill probably have to clean up the mess.

I think Spin has put his finger on it, as to them being between Mackie and RCF... For most events, I run a single Sub 15 with a pair of Mackie SRM 450's.

Now the Mackie SWA1501's are fairly matched to the SRM 450s in terms of output, which is why you need a pair of them... but the dB Tech Sub 15, at 800w RMS, works very well with just the one.

I have a 'No Drinks On This Speaker' sign that I put on the top of it - this is because any drink that is placed on it will usually vibrate itself across the top and onto the floor within a couple of songs!

So - something's amiss, and nobody's said 'Phase Cancellation' yet...

I'm guessing that you're running them in stereo, one each side of your rig under the tops?

If so, try using just one - or running them in mono and placing them next to each other as opposed to far apart - or try different setting combinations of your 'Phase' switch --- and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks again for another reply.

Everyone else seems happy with the Db's, so that's cheered me up. I think the claimed 133db peak is possibly overstated - 133 would be very very loud. I've been through the side by side, on top of each other, stereo/mono options and from what's been said, I think the only solution is to back the tops off. I'll look at the phase switches though

Finally, Does anyone know why there's two settings on the gain - stereo 0db (approx 3'oclock) and mono 0db (turned fully clockwise). Db have declined to explain!

Default Compare The Inputs . com

Quote Originally Posted by paulg View Post
    Finally, Does anyone know why there's two settings on the gain - stereo 0db (approx 3'oclock) and mono 0db (turned fully clockwise). Db have declined to explain!
    Stereo = 2 inputs = more
    Mono = 1 input = less

Schimples!

Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"