Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Portable hard drives.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
    Folks - Be aware that WD drives are picky with which USB cable you use. i.e, try to not lose the short USB cable provided when purchased.

The USB cables lose quite alot of power, and USB cant supply the wattage neede to spinup the WD drives (The 160gb ones were really bad for this). Hence WD manufactured shorter USB cables to get the drives goin.

Thanks, Anthony
    My WD drive crashed on me so personally I wouldn't recommend that one

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
    Folks - Be aware that WD drives are picky with which USB cable you use. i.e, try to not lose the short USB cable provided when purchased.

The USB cables lose quite alot of power, and USB cant supply the wattage neede to spinup the WD drives (The 160gb ones were really bad for this). Hence WD manufactured shorter USB cables to get the drives goin.

Thanks, Anthony
    I think I referred to this in the other HD thread. Good advice, it turned out to be exactly right in my case ( WD160Gb drive )
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

the thing is they may work perfectly for some people but there is nothing worse than losing your data when you least expect it.So no more WD for me!

Quote Originally Posted by scoopd View Post
    the thing is they may work perfectly for some people but there is nothing worse than losing your data when you least expect it.So no more WD for me!
    I can live with replacing a cable, since that involves no data loss. I don't know your circumstances, they may easily be different.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk