Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mixer sound quality

Default Mixer sound quality

Hi,

I am looking to upgrade my mixer. The two key requirements are sound quality and reliabilty.

Currently I have a basic gemini two fader mixer and am looking at a DJM3000 as this has the number of inputs and Balanced outs plus FX that I would like. The reliabilty I have taken as read, but what can I expect in terms of improvement in sound?

Regards

Paul

If sound quality is more important to you, then you should be looking at Denon, Vestax Rane, Allen & Heath, Formula One etc - obviously some of them might be out of your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerFunk
    If sound quality is more important to you, then you should be looking at Denon, Vestax Rane, Allen & Heath, Formula One etc - obviously some of them might be out of your budget.
    I would have thought the Pioneer had pretty good sound quality (judging by the price!)

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd
    I would have thought the Pioneer had pretty good sound quality (judging by the price!)
    I'm not a big fan of the Pioneers, especially the DJM600. It's not too difficult to clip the output, plus the XLRs are wired out of phase (pin 3 + / hot).

Rane would be my first choice, followed by Allen & Heath.

Thanks for that, what do you think of the Denon DNX 800?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paull
    Thanks for that, what do you think of the Denon DNX 800?

Paul
    I've got a DN-X400 which is the smaller brother and I think it's alright.

The mixer is slightly cramped if you have big fingers and runs quite warm, but is well set out and sound quality is reasonably good. The faders are quite smooth and there's not much play on them.

One thing I don't like is the fact that the power switch is on the back, so that if you have it in a case you have to leave it on.

Hi,

I am looking to upgrade my mixer. The two key requirements are sound quality and reliabilty.

Currently I have a basic gemini two fader mixer and am looking at a DJM3000 as this has the number of inputs and Balanced outs plus FX that I would like. The reliabilty I have taken as read, but what can I expect in terms of improvement in sound?

Regards

Paul
    Has anyone actually had any experience of the mixers (DJM3000 or DNX 800) that Paull is asking about? If so could they tell us about any improvement in sound quality over a basic 2 channel jobby?
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

So given the choice of a Denon DNX 800 and a Pioner DJM 3000 would you go for the Denon on the basis of sound quality?

So given the choice of a Denon DNX 800 and a Pioner DJM 3000 would you go for the Denon on the basis of sound quality?
    The thing is, your rig is only as good as it's weakest link (where have I heard that before??) A great mixer will sound lousy through rubbish speakers & a ropey amp. With most mixers you can change the tone with the EQ. I would say the main thing about a mixer is, does it have all the features you want & how easy is it to opperate under gig conditions?
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve
    Has anyone actually had any experience of the mixers (DJM3000 or DNX 800) that Paull is asking about? If so could they tell us about any improvement in sound quality over a basic 2 channel jobby?
    I have had 2 x DJM500 mixers (didn't need the extra effects for the DJM600) and have also owneed a DJM 3000. I am a great fan of the quality of sound given out by the Pioneer mixers with the additional H/M/B adjustments for each channel. It is, in my humble opinion, a far superior quality to Behringer or mixers of a similar vein whose output sounds very 'tinny'.

Only for ease of casing have I recently moved to a Denon DN-X500 mixer. The individual faders need to be tweeked a little more than the Pioneer mixers but, overall, I would say that they are of equal high quality.

What I have found, in my 25 years + being a mobile DJ, is that the quality of sound various from one individual to another, but is also enhanced by the quality of speakers that you use. I now use Mackie SRM450's and, before that, Peavey Impulse 200's. I find the quality of these speakers very high (and have received numerous similar comments from clients) although I do have 'Bose v Mackie' "battles" with one of my colleagues regularly !!

My suggestion would be, as with many items of equipment/PC's, etc - set yourself a budget, work within it, and get the best value for your budget that you can.

Hope this helps.
    Ian
    www.limelightandrhythmdisco.co.uk
    Covering Herts, Beds, Bucks, Essex, Middlesex, & NW London ... but have been known to travel further afield. PLI & PAT - member of MDA.