Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mackie v RCF sound off!

Default Mackie v RCF sound off!

Don't know how many people caught a thread a little while back about Tony wanting to "hard test" his V2 Mackie 450's and also do a side by side comparison with my RCF 312a's.

Well tonight was that night, Tony had managed to "borrow" the George Stepenhson hall at the Newark Showground for a couple of hours and I met him there just after 7pm

The hall itself is more akin to an aircraft hanger and absolutely massive, so a perfect test ground

To make it a little more interesting I also took along my 2 705 subs and Tony brought along a couple of Carlsboro subs.

Now I know there are plenty of Mackie users on here but they were well and truly beaten. Not just on power (which was always going to happen) but sound quality. some of the bass was immense, Billie Jean was proper rumbling

I let Tony post some comments about the "test" but something tells me there may soon be some Mackie stuff in the for sale section

Here's a couple of pics showing the PA and the size of the Hall.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs

Hmmmmmm. One or two minor errors and omissions there, I feel. The female type roller bladers may have distracted our Tone from his avowed intention, I fear. Also, to be a true test, you really
    should have had a control, a reference model, of unparalleled clarity and sound. Sadly, I had three calls on myself and two on my gear tonight. In order of Northerliness : Tone and Pauls shootout, A local School Disco, and Curry and a pint with our friends in the frozen north. Nothin g for ages, and three come along at once.

PS: Paul, I forecast the result two days ago. Hope you didn't upset him too much.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Ah brilliant!

A few cables viable though and that white extension lead is a hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie brown View Post
    Ah brilliant!

Err, no Charlie, the myriad ladies rollerblading in shorts and t-shirts were the greater hazard.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Hi Paul

what measurements were taken?
    what tools did you use?
    any graphs/numbers to publish?

looking at the photos, peculiar setup for a clash, normally one would place both systems being tested at equidistance apart and place the mid tops equidistance from the subs. If you are taking measurements at a central point x metres back, in that configuration your HF rolloff data will certainly be non comparable, even if the horizontal dispertion characteristics of the boxes are supposedly equal.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by charlie brown View Post
    Ah brilliant!

Don't worry Charlie, I informed Tony of the error of his ways with his VISIBLE cables

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Err, no Charlie, the myriad ladies rollerblading in shorts and t-shirts were the greater hazard.
    Were there ladies roller skating Peter? Must have missed that

Quote Originally Posted by A1DL View Post
    Hi Paul

what tools did you use?

looking at the photos, peculiar setup for a clash, normally one would place both systems being tested at equidistance apart and place the mid tops equidistance from the subs. If you are taking measurements at a central point x metres back, in that configuration your HF rolloff data will certainly be non comparable, even if the horizontal dispertion characteristics of the boxes are supposedly equal.

Tony

Well , wasn't I just waiting for that

Measurements were loundness , crispness of top end and lowness of bass

Tools used were Tonys ears, my ears and around 50 female rollerskaters

Ok, Tony this wasn't a technical experiment with sound meters etc. More of a side by side comparison for the naked ear.
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs

As far as I can see you have the RCF tops with Carlsboro subs are you saying that was a better sound than the Mackie tops with RCF subs ?

Quote Originally Posted by diamondgeezer View Post
    As far as I can see you have the RCF tops with Carlsboro subs are you saying that was a better sound than the Mackie tops with RCF subs ?
    RCF tops defo on RCF subs!

IMO the RCF combo sounded better.

Testing these was really good.

Started with the Mackies and a few tips from Paul regarding mixer and sound.... off we went. Thanks Paul

Mackies did produce a fair punch and sounded very nice - anyone would be happy to hear/have that as a play out. Nice bass but mids still a tad harsh....like a hiss...but still very good. No overheating in fact the bass bins were hotter than the Mackies.

Well.....RCF....total different...so clear and warm/deep and this was just the tops ..... Flick the Bass well what can you say coming from 2 bins, it was superb but not over the top.

So now what to do....

Seriously thinking of selling everything and moving to RCF. I have a final test in 2 weeks time with my leg slappers....i'll make my choice then.

BTW thanks Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by A1DL View Post
    Hi Paul

what tools did you use?

Tony
    Hi Tony,
    This was purely checking - as Paul said - with our peepers....simple as.
    Is it not what you listen to and how things sound that makes you change and work with different systems....?

I can use this venue again - or another one. If you have a list of requirements that you would feel would help in anyway then feel free to let me know and i'm sure Paul and I can do these. I have the use of sound meters at work - as we test db for testing silencers.

As i'm a novice to sound any help would be helpful.
    Last edited by Penfold42; 11-02-2010 at 10:22 PM.
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

Quote Originally Posted by penmare42 View Post
    Started with the Mackies and a few tips from Paul regarding mixer and sound.... off we went. Thanks Paul

BTW thanks Paul.
    No drama geezer, always willing to help out (nothing to do with wanting a lift to NADJ of course)