Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: laptop help

Quote Originally Posted by deckstardeluxe View Post
    cntrl + alt+del then I think you click on task manager which gives you a list of all the programs running and how much memory they are using.
    Thanks Neil will try that.

I have been running Norton for three years and it has been okay, so although it is resource heavy it has never just killed it before.

It had been great this morning then went upstairs and came back down and it was buggered again. Had to just turn it off.

Will see if I can find the culprit.

Cheers
    www.nkentertainment.co.uk
    The north wests premier wedding DJ and singer package. We will not be beaten on quality!
    www.michaelmooble.co.uk

Problem Identified.

Does anyone know what a Windows Host Prog is - I have one called Run DLL32.exe that is using the whole machines resource. It starts small then just keeps eating whatever free resource comes available.

Any ideas.
    The north wests premier wedding DJ and singer package. We will not be beaten on quality!
    www.michaelmooble.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by NKR View Post
    Problem Identified.

Does anyone know what a Windows Host Prog is - I have one called Run DLL32.exe that is using the whole machines resource. It starts small then just keeps eating whatever free resource comes available.

Any ideas.
    A quick Google search brings up results such as:

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/pr...dll32.exe.html

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rundll32.htm
    Ollie J. Needham
    O.J. Entertainment
    Northamptonshire, UK

So much for Norton then - It hasn't found it.

I need to clean this thing up anyway there are 65 processes going on using 82% of the memory. Surely I don't need all these.
    www.michaelmooble.co.uk

So much for Norton then - It hasn't found it.

I need to clean this thing up anyway there are 65 processes going on using 82% of the memory. Surely I don't need all these.
    Be really careful what you delete. I found a process I was unsure about, and googled it, of which some sites said it could be a virus. Before I deleted it I rang a mates Dad who's an IT technician who said it's not actually a virus, but viruses often 'link' to it, so if I had deleted it - I probably would have killed my computer!
    Ollie J. Needham
    O.J. Entertainment
    Northamptonshire, UK

Quote Originally Posted by OllieJames View Post
    Be really careful what you delete. I found a process I was unsure about, and googled it, of which some sites said it could be a virus. Before I deleted it I rang a mates Dad who's an IT technician who said it's not actually a virus, but viruses often 'link' to it, so if I had deleted it - I probably would have killed my computer!
    I don't intend doing random deletions, but I need to sort out what is causing the issue. I had another process kick in and start eating memory. I stopped it in task manager, but it wasn't the same as before. I am still going strong on internet for now, but something is in their and the problem is my virus software can't see it, so what now?
    www.michaelmooble.co.uk

I will get our IT monkey at work to upgrade the RAM.
    Being an IT technician by trade, it's nice to know how people regard us. So off no advice from me

I've never really heard anything good about Norton 360. I use Norton Internet Security 2009 and it seems to have very little impact
    I rekon that 360 is propably rather invasive, I remember some older Norton software that had little meters, dials and icons all over the shop that used more resources than they were supposed to help free up

Quote Originally Posted by deltic View Post
    buy a mac !!!
    Typical Mac Fanboi reply

A badly configured, over loaded, under resourced Mac is just as big a pile of kak as the equivalent PC! So there
    Simon (Grumpy old man) - and proud of it

Quote Originally Posted by sleah View Post
    Being an IT technician by trade, it's nice to know how people regard us. So off no advice from me
    My IT man at work knows I have a lot of respect for him, its just an affectionate name.

I appear to have a runDLL32.exe virus and no idea how to shift it. Norton just offered to do it for £115.

Has anyone ever had one of these?
    www.michaelmooble.co.uk

My IT man at work knows I have a lot of respect for him, its just an affectionate name.

I appear to have a runDLL32.exe virus and no idea how to shift it. Norton just offered to do it for £115.

Has anyone ever had one of these?
    Norton just offered to do it for £115? - Are you being sarcastic or serious?

If the later, I'd of thought it's the virus creating fake notices, I had a 'blue screen of death' virus thing that was creating fake pop-ups telling me to install winxp virus 2009, which was obviously .
    Ollie J. Needham
    O.J. Entertainment
    Northamptonshire, UK

No serious called the support help line and they want £115 to look at sorting it out.

I asked what I paid my Norton annual charge for if stuff got in. They said it wasn't 100% and I would need to pay for removal of viruses. Told them I would call them back, which I won't.
    www.michaelmooble.co.uk