Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Digital SLR camera

So you won't get better shots and the kind of shots you want by using manual adjustments then?

In which case, why don't all SLRs just have everything on auto?

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Surely it is pointless in getting a DSLR and then using it on auto?

Or have I missed the point somewhere?
    I think you're probably right. It's a bit popintless forking out the cash and just using it on auto. The reason I use auto is just down to inexperience when it comes to photography. It's be great if I could pick up some pointers and advice in this thread.

*EDIT: Just read Martin's earlier post. I hadn't realised the auto function sets itself depending on the factors of the environment each time. I thought auto was just a fixed setting. Ya learn something new every day.
    Last edited by Shaun; 08-12-2010 at 12:13 PM.

So you won't get better shots and the kind of shots you want by using manual adjustments then?

Full auto will give you a good photo which for a lot of people will be what is required. But if you want to get more creative, blurring water, totally blacking out shadows, saturating colours etc. then you need to use the manual controls. Sometimes the 'correct' auto settings don't give the best results.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    I hadn't realised the auto function sets itself depending on the factors of the environment each time. I thought auto was just a fixed setting. Ya learn something new every day.
    Oh yusss.... otherwise it would be called 'Default' or similar

As the other Martin summed up, you CAN get (arguably) better results by going manual, or taking some of the "semi-auto" settings - but this requires a great deal of understanding on your part, which is fine if you're standing in a field trying to take a pic of a daisy, but when it's the first dance 'stare into my eyes' shot then unless you're David Bailey, whack it on auto and click-click-click

I use the "A" setting , that's aperture priority , you set the aperture , the camera works out the shutter speed , shoot as wide open as possible , this depends on the lens , a fast lens will stop down to f2.8 of ever less , this means the aperture is wide open , letting a much light as possible into the camera , if you dont mind tweaking afterwards , take you pics in RAW format , instead of JPEG
    RAW gives you loads of scope , if your pics are to dark , RAW pics can bring a lot of detail out from the darker patches ,which you not do with a JPEG , basicly RAW mode is what the CCD sensor captured , no compression or in camera processing , just the raw data.
    I presume the camera is new ? , if so the software will have a RAW converted built in , If you run Photoshop , you need CS4 and camera RAW 5.6.
    In all the reviews , the camera has excellent low light shooting , so I think you have picked a winner

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex