Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Active" Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Danno13 View Post
    Yep, as I say Bose 802s use XLR connectors, but you couldn't use an XLR signal cable such as the one you'd use with your mic, or to connect from your mixer to an amplifier. You would have to use proper speaker cable with XLR connectors fitted, although most of the time people just use short adaptor from the back of the cab to convert to Speakon.

Even "active speakers" could be misinterpretted, I can use my speakers as active, but they don't have amps attached to them like powered speakers do. All active means is that crossovers are applied at signal level and not post-amp.

Sorry to be pedantic
    From Wikipedia: Powered speakers (or active speakers) are speakers that have built-in amplifiers.

As to (passive) speaker cables, I'm guilty of expecting everybody to realise that those cables are different to signal cables. Sorry.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Even "active speakers" could be misinterpretted, I can use my speakers as active, but they don't have amps attached to them like powered speakers do. All active means is that crossovers are applied at signal level and not post-amp.

Sorry to be pedantic

Give that man a large medal. Spot on, within pro audio, "active" and "passive" refer to the position of the crossover within the signal chain, and absolutely nothing to do with whether a box is powered or unpowered.

It is one of the most widely misunderstood and misrepresented terminologies, especially at disco/pub band/entry level where manufacturers and retailers alike use the description incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    From Wikipedia: Powered speakers (or active speakers) are speakers that have built-in amplifiers.

As to (passive) speaker cables, I'm guilty of expecting everybody to realise that those cables are different to signal cables. Sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by A1DL View Post
    Give that man a large medal. Spot on, within pro audio, "active" and "passive" refer to the position of the crossover within the signal chain, and absolutely nothing to do with whether a box is powered or unpowered.

It is one of the most widely misunderstood and misrepresented terminologies, especially at disco/pub band/entry level where manufacturers and retailers alike use the description incorrectly.
    I'm not sure I agree, I have a similar view to Peter.

Another example - network hubs can be passive (no built-in power supply) or active. The same principle applies.

Worcestershire, West Midlands/Cotswolds Border

Lol its not about agreeing or disgareeing, its fact!

Most powered speakers are infact also active as they have a crossover at signal level before the amp for each driver within the cab, which is where the confusion comes from. But you can of course have an active speaker setup that doesn't involve powered cabinets.
    DJs, PA, Lighting & AV Hire, LED Uplighting & Wedding Lighting, Dance Floor Hire, Starcloth & Room Decor - Covering the Midlands & Cotswolds.
    Revolution Event Services Ltd - Wedding Lighting
    01386 898 113

You may be ( OK, undoubtedly are ) right, but I suspect you will not educate many folk. From the article below:
    http://www.mmproductions.co.uk/faqspe4.php

A passive speaker needs power from another source (i.e. a power amplifier). An active or powered speaker has an amplifier built in; therefore it needs a signal cable and a power cable run to it.

It's a new one on me Tony. I suspect you may be swimming against the tide.

B&O
    http://www.beoworld.org/article_view.asp?id=42

Active speakers, by contrast, feature a built-in amplifier that is an integral part of the speaker itself
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Lol its not about agreeing or disgareeing, its fact!
    You may be right. What's your reference?

I think there needs to be a distinction made between 'Crossovers', 'Speakers' & 'Systems'.

This is my understanding of the differences:

Active:
    An active speaker is one which has built in amplifiers and either an electronic or passive crossover.
    An active (or electronic) crossover is one which goes before the amplifiers in the signal path.

Passive:
    A passive speaker is one which has no amplifiers and a passive crossover.
    A passive crossover is one which goes after the amplifier(s).

System v Speaker
    An active system usually has the crossover and amps remotely situated from the speakers.

An active speaker has the crossover and amps situated in the speakers.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    ----------www.partyshopdisco.co.uk - www.weddingdiscodorset.co.uk
    -----Outstanding Wedding Disco Entertainment for Dorset & Somerset
    -----------------------01305 775579 - 07876 136663

You may be ( OK, undoubtedly are ) right, but I suspect you will not educate many folk. From the article below:
    http://www.mmproductions.co.uk/faqspe4.php
    You're right Peter, there would be little point in trying. Rather like trying to convince some that they cannot hear or see watts. But those on your linky should know better, they have some nice RH boxes on their inventory.

That's audiophool stuff, not pro audio I'm sure their "active" boxes sound even better with a £4,000 IP68 rated directional 6.0mm2 IEC320 assembly. Complete morons with more money than grey matter... this sums that lot up rather nicely: http://gizmodo.com/363154/audiophile...-a-coat-hanger
    Last edited by Shaun; 17-03-2010 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Split post

It's one of those things that just about everybody gets 'wrong', so in the end it's just as easy to be wrong!

I was told a while ago that active means what Tony is saying, but I still call my system active rather than powered. Mostly anyway.

Interesting.

Does this mean that there are active speakers which are passive, and passive speakers which are active, or have I misunderstood your post, Tony?

Also, how do you find out whether your speakers are genuinely active or passive?