Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Active" Discussion

I had no idea about this. I have full range speakers that I require an amplifier to use.The Speakon cables come from the amplifier. So should I have a crossover there somewhere?

Cheers
    Gareth
    Last edited by Gareth; 17-03-2010 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Grrrr Fat Fingers!

Gareth Bird - Peterborough
    www.radiopeterborough.co.uk
    E-mail Me

Worcestershire, West Midlands/Cotswolds Border

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    Interesting.

Does this mean that there are active speakers which are passive, and passive speakers which are active, or have I misunderstood your post, Tony?

Also, how do you find out whether your speakers are genuinely active or passive?
    Since it was me that started this whole thing (agghh.. what have I done!?? ), I hope you don't mind me answering this

You can have a speaker that's incorrectly called "active" but is really used in a passive powered arrangement - this would have a single amp bolted on the back with an output to a passive crossover, which feeds each driver.

You could also have a passive speaker that contains a crossover to split between a compression horn and a driver, but that is fed from an amp rack with an active crossover in, so would be both active and passive!

Yes, it's confusing!!!

To keep it simple, the words active and passive have nothing to do with whether the amp is bolted to the speaker or not - the correct terms are powered or un-powered.

Active/Passive just refers to whether the signal filtering (i.e. use of crossovers) is done pre-amp or post-amp.

Quote Originally Posted by ptwnparties View Post
    I had no idea about this. I have full range speakers that I require an amplifier to use.The Speakon cables come from the amplifier. So should I have a crossover there somewhere?

Cheers
    Gareth
    There will already be a passive crossover inside the speakers - or I beleive the piezo will perform this dury, if the speaker contains these rather than compression drivers.

Either way, you don't need any additional electronics when just dealing with full range cabs.

Although, it is possible and is used in real top end applications - you can use seperate amps for the bass driver and the compressipon driver and therefore have complete control over the gain on each and the crossover point, but this is usually well beyond the realm of DJ sound systems.
    DJs, PA, Lighting & AV Hire, LED Uplighting & Wedding Lighting, Dance Floor Hire, Starcloth & Room Decor - Covering the Midlands & Cotswolds.
    Revolution Event Services Ltd - Wedding Lighting
    01386 898 113

Thanks Danno.

We live & learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Danno13 View Post
    You can have a speaker that's incorrectly called "active" but is really used in a passive powered arrangement - this would have a single amp bolted on the back with an output to a passive crossover, which feeds each driver.

You could also have a passive speaker that contains a crossover to split between a compression horn and a driver, but that is fed from an amp rack with an active crossover in, so would be both active and passive!

Active/Passive just refers to whether the signal filtering (i.e. use of crossovers) is done pre-amp or post-amp.
    So what would you call this then Dan?......looks like an 'Active' system to me, 2 way Electronic Active crossover done pre-amp, separate dedicated amplifiers for high and low drivers....it's active, no question!

* Lightweight and rugged polypropylene cabinet designed for life on the road
    * Studio monitor sound quality in an active loudspeaker
    * Servo-controlled 12" neodymium woofer delivers extremely deep, punchy bass in a compact design
    * High-output 1.75" titanium tweeter for supreme high frequency clarity
    * Class-D 300W low frequency amplifier for strong performance and fast recovery
    * 100W high frequency amp for clear treble tones with no distortion

* Multi-cell horn throat aperture for extra-wide dispersion
    * Built-in protection circuitry, including a limiter and sliding high-pass filter
    * Phase-accurate 24dB Linkwitz-Riley electronic crossover
    *XLR input and pass-thru connectors
    *Active Electronic time alignment, phase correction, and EQ for studio-quality sound
    * Can be flown, pole-mounted, or placed on stage in a vertical or wedge position

...oh by the way it's a Mackie SRM450
    ----------www.partyshopdisco.co.uk - www.weddingdiscodorset.co.uk
    -----Outstanding Wedding Disco Entertainment for Dorset & Somerset
    -----------------------01305 775579 - 07876 136663

Just like to say that I too was confused about this issue until this discussion.

It seems that it's possible to have a powered speaker system that is 'active' or 'passive' just depends on weather it has an electronic or passive crossover. I think for clarity I'm going to call a speaker with an amp(s) built in Powered from now on, it's less confusing for others than going into the active/passive thing.
    Last edited by Tony Scott; 18-03-2010 at 07:01 AM.
    ----------www.partyshopdisco.co.uk - www.weddingdiscodorset.co.uk
    -----Outstanding Wedding Disco Entertainment for Dorset & Somerset
    -----------------------01305 775579 - 07876 136663

Quote Originally Posted by Danno13 View Post
    Since it was me that started this whole thing (agghh.. what have I done!?? ), I hope you don't mind me answering this

Yes, it's confusing!!!

To keep it simple, the words active and passive have nothing to do with whether the amp is bolted to the speaker or not - the correct terms are powered or un-powered.

There will already be a passive crossover inside the speakers - or I beleive the piezo will perform this dury, if the speaker contains these rather than compression drivers.

Either way, you don't need any additional electronics when just dealing with full range cabs.

Although, it is possible and is used in real top end applications - you can use seperate amps for the bass driver and the compressipon driver and therefore have complete control over the gain on each and the crossover point, but this is usually well beyond the realm of DJ sound systems.
    It seems you've shifted your opinion slightly, to describe an active 'system', rather than an active 'speaker' - in which case, I agree.

However, I stand by my understanding that an active speaker is a speaker which contains an amplifier within it - rather than externally.

If this isn't the case, then I ask again :

Quote Originally Posted by BeerFunk View Post
    You may be right. What's your reference?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Scott View Post
    Just like to say that I too was confused about this issue until this discussion.
    Lucky you, cos I still am!

Quote Originally Posted by BeerFunk View Post
    It seems you've shifted your opinion slightly, to describe an active 'system', rather than an active 'speaker' - in which case, I agree.

However, I stand by my understanding that an active speaker is a speaker which contains an amplifier within it - rather than externally.

If this isn't the case, then I ask again :
    That would still be the way I'd describe it, even though it may be technically inaccurate.

There's no wonder I'm confused when you realise that on Friday night, I take out a stack of Class D's and an amp and use a passive rig. On Saturday night, I use the same kit, this time with an active crossover and second amp, and voila I've now got an active system, but with all the same boxes!

Come on lads, surely you can't have it both ways?
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    on Friday night, I take out a stack of Class D's and an amp and use a passive rig. On Saturday night, I use the same kit, this time with an active crossover and second amp, and voila I've now got an active system, but with all the same boxes!
    spot on Peter!

Quote Originally Posted by A1DL View Post
    spot on Peter!
    Right, so I can have passive cabs that are active, active cabs that are unpowered, and passive cabs that are unpowered, but still appear to be making a noise? You ever thought of going into politics, Tony? You and Rob together you'd be unstoppable.

( And unintelligible)
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Right, so I can have passive cabs that are active,
    To confuse things further you could have a 3-way active cab like the Stasys 3, which will either run 2-way active on NL4s with the MHF & HF running passive, or you can run it 3-way active on NL8s.

You ever thought of going into politics, Tony?
    No, I've got a second home