Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do (and how)

Default What would you do (and how)

OK quick question

If you were regularly been undercut by an £80 a night DJ, who was using a laptop and you seriously suspected he didn't have a produb licence (or any other kind of licence, PLI or PAT).

What would you do, and how would you do it.

I'm not too bothered about the PLI or PAT because neither are strictly speaking a legal requirement, but the licence issue is.

And, this isn't a case of sour grapes, if I get undercut by another DJ that's fair enough, but this newbie is so cheap everyone is accusing me of over charging and robbing them when I tell them my prices.

Any suggestions would be more than welcome

JTRS

Do you really want to work for people who just don't get it.

I have stopped worrying about it and concentrating on winning the quality work as if someone wants to pay £80 they get £80 service. Do they care if he has Produb, no!
    www.nkentertainment.co.uk
    The north wests premier wedding DJ and singer package. We will not be beaten on quality!
    www.michaelmooble.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by JoinToReadSucks View Post
    OK quick question

If you were regularly been undercut by an £80 a night DJ, who was using a laptop and you seriously suspected he didn't have a produb licence (or any other kind of licence, PLI or PAT).
    JTRS
    If he is downloading the tracks straight to his laptop then he doesn't need "Pro Dub".

Pro dub is for "format shifting"
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs

Oh boy - Money, PAT, PLI and ProDub.....all in the same thread......here we go again!
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

What would you do, and how would you do it.
    Target a different market. Simples

Agree with NKR. There will always be the punter that values price above quality, even more-so now.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve James View Post
    There will always be.....the punter.... that values price above quality
    Yeah....but that poor chap is fed up with everybody ringing him!!

Whilst I'd agree with a lot of what you have said about letting him have his market, he is now quoting to my market and in particular a couple of regular venues who give my cards out.

When someone gets a price from me and says How much???? XYZ has quoted £80 you are robbing me, then it gets annoying but you can't explain to customers that you are not a rip-off merchant.

I know the customer doesn't care if he has produb or not, that wasn't the question I was asking. I care that he doesn't have produb and would like to bring it to the right persons attention, but I dodn't know who the right person is, hence why I asked here.

JTRS

Then let XYZ have a crack at your market. Assuming your regular customer(s) are happy with the service you provide, one of three things will most likely happen:

1. (s)He'll be cr@p and the customer will return to you in good time
    2. (s)He'll get cocky, start pushing up the price and the customer will return to you in good time.
    3. (s)He'll sit down one day and realise that (s)he's doing an awful lot for that £80 and decide to put the kit back on eBay

That's if PRS/HMRC/Trading Standards don't get there first

Whilst I'd agree with a lot of what you have said about letting him have his market, he is now quoting to my market and in particular a couple of regular venues who give my cards out.

When someone gets a price from me and says How much???? XYZ has quoted £80 you are robbing me, then it gets annoying but you can't explain to customers that you are not a rip-off merchant.

I know the sutomer doesn't care if he has produb or not, that wasn't the question I was asking. I care that he doesn't have produb and would like to bring it to the right persons attention, but I dodn't know who the right person is, hence why I asked here.

JTRS
    If he can do it for £80 its a free market economy we live in so be it. Price fixing or engaging in an act that could be construed as price fixing is also illegal and probably more so than not having a produb license, so the market has to be allowed to function correctly.

If you are bothered about whether he has produb or no how about trying reporting him to .... let me think .... produb?

However, I would suggest the venue should be the ones being concerned over these issues as he is playing in their facilities, but then that's not your fight either.

The reality is too many people are into the DJ market and it will always be that way. If people want a cheap DJ they are free to do so.

I assume you don't hang around supermarkets explaining the virtues of HP and Heinz over own brand beans.

I am not being flipant at all as I have been busy losing work to other people and it is frustrating, but frustration is a negative energy, so I have been busy looking at how I can tap into better markets rather than the budget conscious (looking at my marketing, my cross selling, who we can talk to that also deal with who we want to deal with. Recommendations are the key to my market, not competitive tendering)

I am a service - a good service - I don't need to or want to work for people who want an £80 DJ.

Crickey I may have been quiet for a while, but do you think my meditation has done me good?
    www.nkentertainment.co.uk
    The north wests premier wedding DJ and singer package. We will not be beaten on quality!
    www.michaelmooble.co.uk