Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do I connect active subs and tops

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Yeah, but wait till we get to round two of the questions. Does your sub have a high out option, or just a thru option? Do you want the tops to run hi only ( preferable in my opinion, but that's a personal view ) or full range. Your starter for ten.
    Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    No, you don't have to use that.

It depends whether the sub has a crossover and the kind of outputs. My RCF has a crossover switch so that you can very the frequency at which it 'crosses over' or which frequencies are fed to the tops.

Most powered subs have full range and high pass out.
    Vary. Am I invisible again?
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Vary. Am I invisible again?
    Sorry Peter, I am guilty of trying to multi task...and not reading the thread properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Sorry Peter, I am guilty of trying to multi task...and not reading the thread properly.
    Tut tut.
    I too am multi tasking. New shelving in the pantry.

On this subject, Can someone confirmn my thoughts on wiring rig as I got no diagram of wire up in the manuals...

1 sub, 2 tops.

Balanced output (L & R) on mixer to Balanced Input on the sub (L & R).

From Sub Balanced Crossover Output (L & R) To Top Cab Inputs (L & R).

This will make the sub crossover function, Drawing Bass frequencies away from the top cabs... I have 3 settings on the sub for the crossover (80 - 100 - 120hz). I select the one which suits me best CORRECT??

I also have a Balanced Link L & R on the sub... Is this used to link other speakers??

Also, Can I run the whole system without a crossover function and have bass from sub and full range from the tops??

Hopefully someone can answer this for me...

Quote Originally Posted by sgldisco View Post
    On this subject, Can someone confirmn my thoughts on wiring rig as I got no diagram of wire up in the manuals...

1 sub, 2 tops.

Balanced output (L & R) on mixer to Balanced Input on the sub (L & R).
    Yes.
    From Sub Balanced Crossover Output (L & R) To Top Cab Inputs (L & R).
    Yes.
    This will make the sub crossover function, Drawing Bass frequencies away from the top cabs... I have 3 settings on the sub for the crossover (80 - 100 - 120hz). I select the one which suits me best CORRECT??
    Yes.
    I also have a Balanced Link L & R on the sub... Is this used to link other speakers??
    Yes.
    Also, Can I run the whole system without a crossover function and have bass from sub and full range from the tops??
    Yes.
    Hopefully someone can answer this for me...
    You're pretty much on the money there, the link L&R from the sub would be used to "Daisy Chain" further systems, it gives out exactly what goes in. If you feed your tops from these sockets, rather than the hi-out, then your tops will get a full range feed. Suck it and see, if it sounds right to you and your punters, it is right.

Derek: The Peavey sub as far as I can see, only offers full range to the tops. If you wish to split the frequencies, you will indeed need a crossover, though I'd question whether one Prosub will be man enough to run with two Mackies.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 29-03-2010 at 08:34 PM.

Thanks for that...

I WILL get used to active gear eventually..

Derek: The Peavey sub as far as I can see, only offers full range to the tops. If you wish to split the frequencies, you will indeed need a crossover, though I'd question whether one Prosub will be man enough to run with two Mackies.[/QUOTE]

Cheers for that Excalibur (and all others who responded), I am happy for now to run full signal through to the mackie's. Just bought them so will have to start saving the pennies again to get a matching higher spec sub to go with em and will just have to make do meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by djderek1971 View Post
    Cheers for that Excalibur (and all others who responded), I am happy for now to run full signal through to the mackie's. Just bought them so will have to start saving the pennies again to get a matching higher spec sub to go with em and will just have to make do meantime.
    If you read the manual for the Peavy pro sub powered, it shows the crossover connected after the output from the subs, and before the input to the tops. This means you can vary the signal received by the tops, and the cutoff point. The Peavey is not the greatest filling loosener available, adding a second one would help, but probably one ( or two ) of the RCF/Mackie/DB level would be preferable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellshill View Post
    As you're using 1 sub and two tops you will only need to connect to one side. Out the desk into the sub out the sub into the mackie.
    I would recommend plugging both left and right channels in to the sub and then out to the speakers.

Reason being is that on some of the older songs, like Shout by Lulu, most of the music comes from the left side with only vocals and a trumpet by the sounds of things in the left channel.

Just my opinion anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I would recommend plugging both left and right channels in to the sub and then out to the speakers.

Reason being is that on some of the older songs, like Shout by Lulu, most of the music comes from the left side with only vocals and a trumpet by the sounds of things in the left channel.

Just my opinion anyway.
    I agree, or try listening to 'Donna Summer - I Feel Love' in just one channel

However, and this may be a topic for another thread, I usually set my mixer output to mono anyway. Most PA systems are run this way, as it's more efficient.