Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ALL MEMBERS PLEASE READ! - Libel and defamation

Exclamation ALL MEMBERS PLEASE READ! - Libel and defamation

There were a couple of threads this week where we have had to remind members to be careful what you post, and even delete posts / threads.

To let you all know that we are not just being over-cautious, we have today received a communication from a well-respected firm of solicitors threatening legal action against us regarding another thread on the forum that they believe is defamatory and detrimental to their client's business.

Please think before you post anything about another person/business/company: if you cannot personally provide irrefutable proof of any accusation / insinuation, then DO NOT POST IT!

Someone else telling you something is not proof. Even something happening to you personally is not proof in itself. Something unsubstantiated posted on another website is not proof.

Please take care in your postings, and think twice before you post up anything that could be construed as either defamatory or libellous.

Thank you.

Read and understood
    Dave

For the record - all my mates (who brought on a credit card) got their money back.

But, I understand.

I'm pleased to see this announcement.

Lets hope it will be read & followed by ALL members of the forum.

...and this isn't the thread for little 'digs' or airing personal grievances either Rob

If anybody has any GENUINE questions/queries/comments then fair enough - I'll try and respond as best I can

I have admittedly posted before about a certain company's level of practice (a supplier), but doubt this is the case that has arisen.

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    ...and this isn't the thread for little 'digs' or airing personal grievances either Rob

If anybody has any GENUINE questions/queries/comments then fair enough - I'll try and respond as best I can
    Sorry to ask a stupid question here, but are you able to provide examples of what we can and cannot say..
    Jay Price - Disco Promotions Ltd - Making Every Event Count

Areas: West Midlands & Warwickshire

Well obviously I can't go through everything that is or that isn't acceptable - you just cannot accuse someone of something without independent verifiable proof of the same - such as the thread the other day where someone had used photos on their website which actually belonged to a member on here.

The fact that the photos belonged to our member is a provable fact, and the fact that they were appearing on someone else's website is a provable fact - therefore fine to post up.

However, the thread then diversified and members were casting aspersions and accusing that person of other things as well - none of which had any evidence to suggest that was the case - therefore NOT fine to post up.

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    However, the thread then diversified and members were casting aspersions and accusing that person of other things as well - none of which had any evidence to suggest that was the case - therefore NOT fine to post up.
    Even, if there is no mention or links posted about that individual/company?
    Jay Price - Disco Promotions Ltd - Making Every Event Count

Areas: West Midlands & Warwickshire

Well obviously if the individual/company/business is completely unidentifiable from the post, they wouldn't be able to take any action, would they?

However, I can't see the point in making such a post other than to poke fun/run down someone else, and as we've repeatedly said, that's not what this forum is about.

If I have misinterpreted your question, can you give me an example and I'll try to give a better answer?