Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: ALL MEMBERS PLEASE READ! - Libel and defamation

  1. #11
    Kernow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    2,696

    Default

    Angela,
    Presumably this equally applies in the MDD Supporters Area ?
    The Keyboard is mightier than the Sword ?
    Occasions Of Excellence For One & All In Cornwall

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    1,959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    The fact that the photos belonged to our member is a provable fact, and the fact that they were appearing on someone else's website is a provable fact - therefore fine to post up.
    I know that yourself and the other forum staff do your best to deal with situations, but legally it wouldn't be the responsibility of the forum owner(s), wouldn't it be the poster that received blame?

    I'm starting to get the picture. The example above was provable in this instance, but that isn't always the case?

  3. #13
    DJWilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Swale, Kent
    Age
    27
    Posts
    4,043

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJMaxG View Post
    I know that yourself and the other forum staff do your best to deal with situations, but legally it wouldn't be the responsibility of the forum owner(s), wouldn't it be the poster that received blame?

    I'm starting to get the picture. The example above was provable in this instance, but that isn't always the case?


    Max as the owners/staff of the website/forum there reliable for content on the website.
    Nathan.

  4. #14
    Corabar Entertainment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    London / Hertfordshire borders
    Age
    53
    Posts
    15,507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
    Angela,
    Presumably this equally applies in the MDD Supporters Area ?
    As the Supporters area is not viewable publicly, the rules are more relaxed in there (as they've always been), but obviously that doesn't mean that we would allow clearly libellous statements to be posted The ability to discuss things privately that aren't for public consumption is one of the reasons that the Supporters forum was created.

    Quote Originally Posted by DJMaxG View Post
    I know that yourself and the other forum staff do your best to deal with situations, but legally it wouldn't be the responsibility of the forum owner(s), wouldn't it be the poster that received blame?
    Wrong! The owners of the forum are the 'publishers' and therefore can be held legally liable as such.

    (Maybe a few pennies might drop here, and people may begin to understand why we have some of the rules that we do have in place )

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    1,959

    Default

    How about making the entire forum, or the main discussion forums (eg Mobile & MDD Chat) private?

    I'm guessing almost all of it is publicly viewable for different reasons?

  6. #16
    Corabar Entertainment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    London / Hertfordshire borders
    Age
    53
    Posts
    15,507

    Default

    Max, we're not looking for suggestions here: just abide by the rules and the law of the land!

    But just to answer your point: if we made the forums entirely private, no-one would ever find us or join up, which kind of defeats the object of having a forum!

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    1,959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    if we made the forums entirely private, no-one would ever find us or join up, which kind of defeats the object
    Gotcha

  8. #18
    robbiedj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Waltham Forest
    Age
    72
    Posts
    2,570

    Default

    Understood, Angela.

    I dont think I have ever done it, but I take your point.
    Do you really want me to play that?

    Magic Moments ....... making your moment magic.
    www.magicmoments-disco.co.uk

    Secretary of NADJ

  9. #19
    King Of Cheese Moderator DazzyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Between Sunderland & Durham
    Age
    44
    Posts
    5,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    ...

    Wrong! The owners of the forum are the 'publishers' and therefore can be held legally liable as such.

    (Maybe a few pennies might drop here, and people may begin to understand why we have some of the rules that we do have in place )
    This is a point I've mentioned before. Anyone who puts anything at all on the world wide web is classed as a "publisher" in the eyes of the law when it comes to libel cases. Therefore webmaster and forum owners have the same responsibility as book and newspaper publishers when it comes to the "content" that they "publish". If that content is incorrect or unfounded then it can be challenged in court should a person/business/company/other entity feel that it could unfairly harm their reputation and/or standing. And libel cases are some of the most expensive cases to come before the UK justice system.

    A couple of years ago one of the UKs leading law firms released a guide to help webmasters and forum owners avoid libel challenges. If I can find a link to it I'll post it up.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

    Born to make you party!

  10. #20
    Corabar Entertainment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    London / Hertfordshire borders
    Age
    53
    Posts
    15,507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    If I can find a link to it I'll post it up.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •