Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Mics For Vocal Sounds..

I use a PG58 and want to change to a wireless.

The feedback is horrible.

I've never had any problems with my PG, but then I don't go waiving it about in front of the speakers.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by charlie brown View Post
    I use a PG58 and want to change to a wireless.

The feedback is horrible.
    Changing to a wireless mic won't stop that problem. You need to change the levels on your mixer or reposition your gear.

Okay - I'll give it a whirl Darren.

Okay - I'll give it a whirl Darren.
    Try putting your Mackies higher up so that the horn is over your head.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Never thought of that but seems like common sense.

Shouldn't the horns be at ear level for the audience?

Never thought of that but seems like common sense.

Shouldn't the horns be at ear level for the audience?
    Well, unless you go and measure everyone, then a few inches here and there isn't going to make any difference.

Anyway, back on topic.

Vocal mics...

To the OP....Just to check: you are talking about for DJs use (or punters) - ie speech, rather than 'vocal' as in 'vocalist'?

Interesting how nobody has asked whether the OP is seeking a hand held or a powered condensor microphone. I'm guessing you are considering getting a hand held.

The quality of the microphone can affect the singer's voice, I have used cheaper mics before, and the quality of some of the plastic £1.00 type ones or the budget type lack bass, and generally aren't as powerful.

A couple of you have reccomended the SM58, which is known as 'industry standard', but isn't known for being the best vocal microphone.

It does depend whether you want leaded or wireless though, as Shure's wireless concert grade systems are totally different to the SMs and PGs. I don't think they make a leaded version of it.

It is best to try out a few connected to the PA that you will be using them primarily for, and also hook up some cheaper models so that you can weigh up the differences and form suitable comparisons between them.

Quote Originally Posted by DJMaxG View Post
    Interesting how nobody has asked whether the OP is seeking a hand held or a powered condensor microphone. I'm guessing you are considering getting a hand held.

The quality of the microphone can affect the singer's voice, I have used cheaper mics before, and the quality of some of the plastic £1.00 type ones or the budget type lack bass, and generally aren't as powerful.

A couple of you have reccomended the SM58, which is known as 'industry standard', but isn't known for being the best vocal microphone.

It does depend whether you want leaded or wireless though, as Shure's wireless concert grade systems are totally different to the SMs and PGs. I don't think they make a leaded version of it.

It is best to try out a few connected to the PA that you will be using them primarily for, and also hook up some cheaper models so that you can weigh up the differences and form suitable comparisons between them.
    And this morning's award for most sensible post goes to Max G. Well done that man. Not wholly pearls of wisdom, but got the salient points most everybody else missed in their haste to recommend SM58's.

And the only other person who asked the right questions was Angela.
    Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    To the OP....Just to check: you are talking about for DJs use (or punters) - ie speech, rather than 'vocal' as in 'vocalist'?
    Well done also, though you being correct is less of a surprise than when Max is.

Changing to a wireless mic won't stop that problem. You need to change the levels on your mixer or reposition your gear.
    Agreed.
    It's a mobile disco, not a Yoga class! Absolutely correct though.

Footnote: According to some of our members who live nearer the capital than I do, a cabled SM58 is ideal for use as a crowd control measure. I can confirm that the wireless version is uselesss in that role.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 02-04-2010 at 07:07 AM.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk