Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Chinese Laser

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    Did anyone ever buy one of these? I really liked the look of it and am in the market for another laser.

Mark, can you still get them, and if so did you ever arrive at a price?

<can of worms alert>
    I am going to list a rather tasty laser tomorrow in the for sale section which may be of interest to you.
    Atac Digital - DJ hire in Edinburgh and the Lothians
    http://atacdigital.co.uk/dj-hire/

I'll certainly have a look, would you send to France?
    ...the chemistry of music
    ''''

Hi guys,
    just having a quick look around the forum and found this thread. Being that i run an import company and have dealt in such products i'll give you some advice.

Remember if you import something into the UK (or EU for that matter), you are ultimately responsible for that item. I will elaborate. You set your nice new shiny laser up at a venue. Half way through the night it catches fire and causes some damage. Who is responsible? You are the person that imported it, and if you are not careful your PLI wont cover you.

Did you check the CE certificate? No?
    Did you check the CE certificate was real and actually for that product? No?
    Is the product RoHS?
    or
    Did you buy said laser and sell it to somebody else who has now had an issue with it and do you have product liability insurance to cover it? And did you follow the correct procedures about CE/testing?

All these issues can come back and bite you. hard!

Also in terms of VAT/Duty, the quick parcel services (think UPS/DHL..etc) will clear stuff on standard import codes and you'll pay vat/duty. My rule of thumb is that something that costs $100 will easily cost £100 by the time its in the UK, sometimes even more depending on how heavy it is.

And thats before we've even got into dealing with the Chinese!!!

I currently don't import any electrical products, just nice safe ones with minimal regulations. However i have imported a vast range of DJ type lighting in the past. Don't intend to do anymore for a while.

I've had LED floods that say CE and have CE cert, but aren't earthed (and before somebody says it, no it wasn't double insulated either!).

People have said "yes but company X or Y have stuff made in china", which is VERY true, however they have lots of controls in place and lots of QA or they own the factories. Even still things get past these companies and they end up having to recall stuff.

I'm not necessarily saying don't do it. Just be very careful and understand your liability!!

Regards
    Chris

Some very good points in there that haven't been made before (at least to my knowledge - before some smartarse finds an old thread to wave in my face )

Interesting. Cheers Chris.

I hope you stick around on the forum as you seem to have a lot to offer!

Hi Chris, agreeing with the others - very good points.
    I'm a product developer (not DJ gear!), so apart from the day-to-day stuff, I also need to produce the CE marking, so EMC testing, Safety test, declaration of conformity etc.
    In my previous job (industrial robotics), I've seen imported CNC machines with no interlock on the guarding (major breach of machinery directive), and a bunch of other big problems.

So - not interested in cheap imports, and echo your comments about watching out for fake CE marking and even dangerous electrics (although the no earth will fail the PAT... that should be done before its used)

If/when there is an accident and a claim is made for damage/injury, the products involved will be looked at, and butts kicked by the HSE (before anyone tries to claim for their injury/damage to venue).
    Wedding DJ Hertfordshire
    Hertfordshire based DJ, also covering Essex and North London.

Hi Jason,
    Aha, interesting.. i've got something on the go that you might be able to have some input on ;-) Can't seem to PM you, might be because i'm a noob.. dunno how to contact you without incuring the wrath of the mods ;-) www.lumatech-systems.co.uk contact page.. i'll use that site as its nothing to do with DJing..

PAT testing, love it.. NOT.. I've got so much gear, pat testing is a nightmare.. But its got to be done..

Regards
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by lonfire View Post
    Can't seem to PM you, might be because i'm a noob
    Correct ...But you've only got one more post to go before you're out of 'newbie' status

Hi,
    One post you say, but i'd have to find something useful and on topic..

Did anybody hear about the product that got recalled because the chinese removed the over current cut out and replaced it with a identical part with just a wire in it? Thats on topic..

Regards
    Chris

Regards
    Chris