Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What lighting would you recommend...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1984 View Post
    It not just the people who do big jobs who need to remember its a disco forum, the amount of people on here trying to play our game is ridiculous and so why you get moody when one of us comes to play your game is beyond me.
    I'm aware this is off topic to the OP, but Chris makes a very valid point here, regarding people getting out of their depth, taking on what they have little/no experience in and without the correct equipment to do the job in hand.

Because clients with limited/no events experience often don't know what they need (and in fairness they shouldn't have to), they will rely on their suppliers to guide them. Too often they are left disappointed after believing everything DJ Dave Doubledecks tells them he can do with his 4 Peaveys and they end up thinking they have a real bargain, but instead getting poor quality sound, too loud and distorted up front, uneven throughout and too quiet at the back. Or an attempt at lighting a stage with a few battered Acme/Maplin/et al effects out of the back of their Nova. Or an outdoor PA system that only a handful of people can actually hear.

Not only does this leave a disappointed client, it takes a job away from a business with the experience and equipment to do it properly. Because the client often does not understand the technicalities, it makes the job of explaining they are not comparing apples with apples when they say (for example) "£1,000+vat!! but x has quoted me £300 all in" so much harder.

In the particular case of the OP, obviously it is highly unlikely in this scenario that the services of an LX professional would be engaged, and the judging by the size/venue/location a cheaper compromise is unlikely to disappoint anyone.

You're right Tony it is off topic & totally irrelevant to this thread.

We're talking about lighting karaoke singers in a pub/club, not Pink Floyd at Wembley Stadium!
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

All you seem to care about is money and prices.

THE POST WAS FOR IDEAS & SUGGESTIONS - if everybody said use a couple of led pars then there would be no ideas would there?

I was offing some advice at which point i was asked what i would hire it out for - so i answered the question.

I really do not understand why everybody on this forum seems to be banging on about prices and moneys.

It was a suggestion based on what i have that's it.

I really am at a loss as to why you are all getting so annoyed about a comment that all bar a couple of profile lights isn't to dissimilar from the rest of the ideas is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    You're right Tony it is off topic & totally irrelevant to this thread.

We're talking about lighting karaoke singers in a pub/club, not Pink Floyd at Wembley Stadium!
    its not off topic its a suggestion on lighting a small stage.

and im sure you can understand that your pink flyod comment as with darrens follow spot comment is off topic and irrelevant.

ppentertainments

All you seem to care about is money and prices.

THE POST WAS FOR IDEAS & SUGGESTIONS - if everybody said use a couple of led pars then there would be no ideas would there?

I was offing some advice at which point i was asked what i would hire it out for - so i answered the question.

I really do not understand why everybody on this forum seems to be banging on about prices and moneys.

It was a suggestion based on what i have that's it.

I really am at a loss as to why you are all getting so annoyed about a comment that all bar a couple of profile lights isn't to dissimilar from the rest of the ideas is it?
    Pub Karaoke - Prob about £150
    Hire of lights suggested - £250

Unless the op is prepared to PAY £100 for each karaoke gig, can't see your suggestion working. When making suggestions I think it is relevant for all to live in the real world and appreciate the circumstances surrounding the gig.

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Pub Karaoke - Prob about £150
    Hire of lights suggested - £250

Unless the op is prepared to PAY £100 for each karaoke gig, can't see your suggestion working. When making suggestions I think it is relevant for all to live in the real world and appreciate the circumstances surrounding the gig.
    again about money
    if i hadn't answered the money question we would not be here would we?

My point is its an idea which the OP can get some inspiration from using whatever kit they feel right for the job.

So what are your reasons for running a business?

Is the main one not to earn money?

As illustrated above, if your suggestion was taken up the provider of the karaoke would be £100 out of pocket. Not a particularly goo way to run a business is it?

I'm inclined to think the sole purpose of your post is to show off & willy wave ("look what I've got they cost £250 to hire").

As for the Pink Floyd comment being off topic? How wrong you are. It was tere to illustrate the point that we aren't talking big shows here, & to show how OTT your (& Tony's) comments are for te situation being discussed.

Now please remember (as previously asked by one of the site owners) that this is the Mobile Disco Direrctory Forum, not Big Show Riggers United
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

i give up i offer suggestion that uses the right tools for the job and not just going on about led pars and you say im willy waving?

not in the slightest it was an example for the op to take some ideas from any may do something different to what all the 'lighting designers' on here do.

im not talking about big shows i answered with what i would do - i don't do karaoke i don't know the rates for that type of gig i didn't look at the location which yes i should have done but as said i would have offered the same suggestion with was a slight spin on what everyone else has said is a good idea.

the op doesn't need to go out and hire hi-end gear basic kit would have done.

you are all money obsessed and yes i run a business and yes we make money.

i give up i offer suggestion that uses the right tools for the job
    Ever heard the phrase "Using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut"?
    im not talking about big shows i answered with what i would do
    You answered what you would do. Fair enough, but you do have some of these lights already. How many of the rest of us do you actually think also do?
    i don't do karaoke i don't know the rates for that type of gig.
    & yet you feel qualified to suggest something that would either entail a significant purchase or unrealistic (expensive) hire for most of this forum's members.
    the op doesn't need to go out and hire hi-end gear basic kit would have done.
    Bingo!
    yes i run a business and yes we make money.
    Which doesn't answer my question. I asked if the motivation behind running a business was to earn money.
    you are all money obsessed
    Whatever.

Planet Cuckoo, springs to mind !!