Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Exciting & Adventurous..Great Day + New Website that needs reviewing.

Default Exciting & Adventurous..Great Day + New Website that needs reviewing.

I’m finding this very hard to explain and type up – you’ll have to bear with me.
    Today at 12.10pm I merely skipped out of school knowing I was legally allowed to miss cricket for once – something that doesn’t happen very often.

Grabbed a coke and the daily mail from the train station in the hope they would entertain me as I embark on a journey to East Hecklington to meet Julian from UK Brides.

I managed to get off at the right stop to discover I didn’t have any signal to call one of Julian’s team to come and pick me up....dam! I wondered around this lovely village for 20 minutes until I reluctantly asked a nice lady (who worked at the local Nail Parlour) if I could use her phone – sorted!
    Anna picked me up in a flash and I was at the hub of UK Bride in minutes. It’s a beautiful converted large barn with several floors. Two receptionists, Accounts team, Design team, IT department etc...Very impressive. I waited in the reception area and after having a brief chat with the polite receptionist Julian invited me up to his office. This was at 2.05pm.

He is a fascinating man with loads to tell. His stories of how he became so successful were interesting. I take my hat off to him and he’s certainly an inspiration. Oddly he reminded me of Darren.

He then moved onto my business plan......I didn’t have one until 6 hours ago. We discussed what profit I’d like to make in the next year and my outgoings, tax etc. He kindly produced me an excel sheet with my basic outgoings and income...something which any business needs to do!

Julian has devised a plan to turn my “mini business” into a “brand” name that will be recognised all over the East Midlands. His team have kindly designed me a logo and broacher which look outstanding. He gave me a good lesson on marketing which I’ll treasure for life.

The best advice was as follows:
    “Provide a high quality service - 100 times better than your competitors and a lot CHEEPER” – The usual defence mechanism regarding DJ’s and prices kicked in. I explained it’s hard to make a living and the perception of DJ’s is being lowered by the minute. PLI, PAT, Music, Fuel are big expenditures BUT...
    His idea is to create a brand that will be well known and associated with all parties. We’re talking 10/15 years time...I can dabble in Marquees, Event Planning, Themed Nights, Costume hire etc etc.

As a trial – I have agreed to set a STANDARD fee for all parties - £299. All UK Bride members and possibly Good Party Members can have this service for £199 – That’s £100 of. I’ll be putting a lot of effort into UK Bride sending my new leaflets and letters out via a 2nd class stamp.

£199 at first didn’t seem a lot of money BUT on average it works out to be £150 profit a night. I need to build myself up to a stage where I’m taking on loads of work and people are beginning to recognise my “brand.” Once I’m at a comfortable stage I can start to dish out work. That price will go up to £349 with the same £100 off etc etc.

It’s very hard to explain but I’m pretty confident it will work.
    I may try and run two companies alongside each other (Vectis’s new website) and this although that could be a recipe for disaster.

It’s currently branded “Charlie Brown’s Wedding Discos” – I’d love it to be “Charlie Brown’s Marquees” “Charlie Brown’s Event Management” etc etc.
    This may seem very adventuress now and OTT but I reckon I can do it. I’m young, keen, and energetic. I have a good few years yet to build and work on my “BRAND” before any major decisions need to be made.

Although I love DJ’ing and would like to keep updating my gear by buying new mixers and booths etc – Seeing Julian and his little empire today inspired me to focus more on making money than doing it as a hobby and buying new equipment because it’s “nice.”

Here’s my new website designed by Martin (Vectis Vibe) – It’s smashing and I love it to bits...but may not fit in with my “Brand” hence the two companies running alongside each other.

http://www.charliebrownsentertainment.com/index.php - need to send in my PAT etc to get the Platinum award.

Whatever happens – I’ve had a great day and learnt a lot. Julian is a great guy with a very supportive team. The only reason he invited me to come up and visit him is because of my comment regarding “who will be the fool this time next year.”

I arrived at 2.05pm and left at 6.52pm....it’s been a hectic and enjoyable day.
    Thoughts? Ideas? Am I barmy? What do you think to the site? Obviously the big fading pictures will be changed once the new logo is fitted.

I admit - I'm torn. £199 is a very cheap price....I could take Julian's 15 years experience or ride it alone on instinct.

I really don't know what to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Julian is a nice guy, but he doesn't know our business or pricing structure or understand the problems we face.

He is very good at marketing though and shaping people's minds with it too, especially if they are a little younger and a little naive. (Not meant in a nasty way CB)

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    but he doesn't know our business or pricing structure or understand the problems we face.

That's where I'm torn....
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by charlie brown;

Here’s my new website designed by Martin (Vectis Vibe) – It’s smashing and I love it to bits...but may not fit in with my “Brand” hence the two companies running alongside each other.

http://www.charliebrownsentertainment.com/index.php - need to send in my PAT etc to get the Platinum award.

The design is really eye-catching.Captures everything.Dare I say outstanding!!

QUICK EDIT....I'm referring to Martins Logo....

I'm not sure i'm in love with that Pamphlet thats also pictured!!
    Last edited by StarZSoundS; 21-04-2010 at 09:49 PM.

Why would you want to give everyone £100 off?

In a years time, people will still be expecting the same price and not £299. You can't put your prices up £100 in a year. Trust me. You'll lose plenty of custom no matter how good you are.

£199 bookings will gain you £199 bookings.

£400+ bookings will gain you £400+ bookings and the right market to be in if you want to make money.

The brochure and logo is good, but is very clubby looking. Is this what brides want? I am far from convinced they do or perhaps you are aiming for a different market?

Love the new website by the way.

Thank you ref design, you can see we put alot of effort into getting it right.

In reply to not knowing the industry I have to confess I don't! Charlie explained to me that sometimes people charge £75 for a disco!!!

I have looked at the poll that I ran for you guys. I have calculated a profit that Charlie would be happy with (he has no kids or mortgage remember), so his prices don't have to match everyone elses.

I have then taken into account the 15 years of mistakes that I have made on the journey to be a millionnaire.

I have made it clear to Charlie that he DOES NOT HAVE TO TAKE MY ADVICE.

But he has been making some big mistakes, as he knows.

Ask yourself this, why is Julian helping Charlie for FREE, why has he taken hours and hours of his and his staffs time to help this 16 year old lad?

Answer: because if I can get a 16 year old with no experience to make money from UKbride, many more of you will sign up to ukbride.

The by product is that Charlie learns a lot and makes a lot along the way (but he will have to work for it)
    Julian, Owner of www.ukbride.co.uk

I sometimes feel you should still be playing football with jumpers for goalposts, eyeing up the local talent and relaxing a little bit more, your 16 Charlie. Obviously a switched on guy but don't forget to enjoy yourself while your young mate. Get yourself to uni, learn some stuff, play some sport, and worry about some of this stuff a little bit later on in your life. Just saying mate.

Great brochures btw shame they are aimed at the wrong market, perfect for the "Charlie Brown Discos" I always associate you to though. Great job you and VV have done on the website as well, really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukbride Owner View Post
    why is Julian helping Charlie for FREE, why has he taken hours and hours of his and his staffs time to help this 16 year old lad?
    Some of us have done this already and not to make money either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukbride Owner View Post
    Thank you ref design, you can see we put alot of effort into getting it right.

In reply to not knowing the industry I have to confess I don't! Charlie explained to me that sometimes people charge £75 for a disco!!!
    Only the upmarket ones, Julian. Round here you can't get more than £60

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Some of us have done this already and not to make money either.
    Virtue is its own reward.

Edit: Not everything in the above post is totally, completely, and absolutely serious. You'll have work out which bits for yourselves.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 21-04-2010 at 10:09 PM.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk