Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Digital DJ License, new laws

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment
    Sorry to disagree Mikeee, but that is not the point of law: there is no point of law here.

Without a change in legislation, it IS illegal to make a copy. What the BPI have said is that they "will not persue" members of the public who make copies for their own use..... they have not said that it is legal for them to do so. (They can't, because it isn't!)

The only point in question, is how they intend to treat DJs. ie, do they intend to enforce the law against DJs when they have said they will not enforce it against members of the public?

Of course, with the whole situation being looked at in parliament, the law will almost certainly change in the future, but that is the situation at the moment, and everyone is trying to 'fudge' their way through it until the law catches up with technology.
    I had a lecture a few weeks ago from the head of Global Legal Policy for the I.F.P.I (International Federation for the Phonographic Industry). She commented briefly on the B.P.I's statement, saying (though i paraphrase) that it was essentially a 'carrot' for the public, shortly before 'the big stick' of seriously pursuing illegal p2p users. More on thie topic of this thread, another of my lecturers said he felt the b.p.i's statement was a first step in having a statutory private copying exemption (which France already has). If this was to become law, there'd be no legal justification for having a seperate Digital DJ license and persecuting anyone who embraces technology.

im just glad i dont use MP3's so i dont need this licence ...

shame if it had been properly thought out and they had spoken to the dj's could have been a good thing - as things stand i think its virtually unworkable, as no one seems to know what it covers and what it doesnt