Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Accepting credit/debit cards.

Just to add to this, I don't think anyone's mentioned here (or in similar threads) that anyone with a merchant account is now required to fill in a PCI compliance questionnaire which they log with their merchant account provider and/or have a full audit of their systems. There are different levels of PCI questionnaire and for most, where using a payment gateway and never handling or storing the credit card details at all, the simplest self-assessment would suffice.

More information is available here on PCI compliance and the questionnaires etc.: https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    Ahem, be very careful with Streamline, I had LOADS of problems with them and I lost well over £300 for signing up with them - robbing

I'm NOT saying you'll have problems but they might sting you

How about you buying your own terminal that will take cards? I'm sure you can buy off the bank rather than pay a fee each month. I'm pretty sure you can buy them but you'll need to find out exactly from your bank

Neil.
    I looked into this and it's a no goer.
    Firstly the PDQ machine is second hand and you set up a merchant account you have to have the it reprogrammed which will cost you a fair bit due to the merchant not making money on the machine.
    If you buy one brand new you are talking about 400-500 pounds.
    Then you have to get a merchant account and then have it programmed.

Quote Originally Posted by woody2 View Post
    one big negative is the client claiming the money back, even if they had a good night
    a "charge back" can only be given if the service received is not up to standard.
    So if you turn up for a gig and do it as per your contract, under law you have provided the service to which you where contracted to do.
    It's not like you buy an electrical item and it fails to work after 6 months and the supplier is unhelpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    I was told there was a sign up fee, so I'm not sure how you work that out...
    Yes there is a set up fee that the merchant will charge you for.
    This is a one off fee for setting up the account.

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    First read this story:

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/N...get.6107822.jp

Now, think what you would do if you unwittingly took an order from someone using a credit card frauduently. You might lose out so make sure your business insured against losses caused by fraud.

Or don't accept credit cards if you want to be really cautious!
    Wise words, but PDQ terminals have extra security built into them that allow you to check the postcode of the issuer if they are CNP (customer not present)
    If you are in front of the customer and they use there card then you have chip and pin in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Why don't you want to use Streamline?
    Good company but rates are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno13 View Post
    I looked for ages and couldn't find a better deal than Streamline. If you get a virtual terminal, you usually have to then get a merchant account elsewhere, which means paying two lots of monthly fees as well as high % costs per transaction.

You can also get the streamline rate down after 6 months based on how much you put through - I only pay 28p for debit cards and 1.63% for credit cards (both including a small surchage for customer not present transactions)
    That is the standard rate for FSB and streamline.
    FSB are good in some areas but that in others.
    That rate CAN be beaten if you look around.
    Last edited by Jiggles; 16-06-2010 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Merged
    If I'm talking to much, tell me to shut up!!

The views expressed by this member are solely his own and are not connected with the company he is representing.

Get Me A DJ, when replying to multiple posts please use the multi quote button.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CB Entertainments View Post
    Get Me A DJ, when replying to multiple posts please use the multi quote button.
    Thanks
    oops, did not relise there was one on here
    Sorry guys, slapped wrist (and a**e])

The views expressed by this member are solely his own and are not connected with the company he is representing.

Worcestershire, West Midlands/Cotswolds Border

Quote Originally Posted by Get Me A DJ View Post

That is the standard rate for FSB and streamline.
    FSB are good in some areas but that in others.
    That rate CAN be beaten if you look around.
    Surely the rate I was on for the first 6 months was the standard rate? Perhaps you could share the other cheaper providers with us, as I certainley couldn't find any
    DJs, PA, Lighting & AV Hire, LED Uplighting & Wedding Lighting, Dance Floor Hire, Starcloth & Room Decor - Covering the Midlands & Cotswolds.
    Revolution Event Services Ltd - Wedding Lighting
    01386 898 113

If anyone needs any advise on PDQ machines, CC acceptance etc, just give me a shout.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno13 View Post
    Surely the rate I was on for the first 6 months was the standard rate? Perhaps you could share the other cheaper providers with us, as I certainley couldn't find any
    You got the right idea about the 6 months, but you can get away with murder if you push the merchants hard in the beginning.
    I'm currently at 19p debit cards and 1.19 for CC
    This I think is due to me having the account for other companies I run, but I've known of individuals getting 1.23 for cc and 21p for debit

Kev