Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: New rig

Default New rig

Morning all

I'm here to pester you for advice again!

I've got some lights but i bought them used from Noah. They consist of 2 Roboscans and two quad led strips. I've also got a couple of others but they are too embarrassing to mention!

I need to relegate these to spares or sell them (I might have to pay someone to take them)....

So....what, may I ask, would be a good start up lighting rig?

These are my thoughts:

2 x ADJ Tri-Gems
    1 x KAM Combi Laser
    1 x ADJ Warp Tri LED
    2 x Scanners of some sort - dont know which yet though - roboscans may have to suffice for now as funds allow (as you may have read on other threads I need a couple of bins & poss new mixer)

I've been keeping my eye on fleabay and other used sites but considering new also....just trying to work out what might be best

Any comments or additions?? Also, if you think what i've suggested is a load of crap please let me know....

...tin hat time!

What sort of parties do you do ?

I'm not sure what the LED Strips are .. do you have a link to them?

Anyhow here is my 2c.

If you look at the above you have a £300-400 budget for just the tri-gems, laser and the warp.

I would look at the less is more scenario. Get yourself a decent light to in the centre of your rig, room filling. Dare I say the Adj Dekker, or the Kam Quadrix which you should be able to get for less than £150.

Keep the scanners, assuming they are DMX, then get a couple of PAR56 LED type cans which you can use on the rig or for uplighting.

Then get yourself a second hand DMX controller off ebay (circa £50-£60) and learn to programme it.

Then you will have plenty of lights for all sorts of parties. You can use the pars for uplighting or direct on the dancefloor. You will be able to slow down and speed up the scanners and the centrelight to create different moods.

Quote Originally Posted by dh140770 View Post
    What sort of parties do you do ?

I'm not sure what the LED Strips are .. do you have a link to them?

Anyhow here is my 2c.

If you look at the above you have a £300-400 budget for just the tri-gems, laser and the warp.

I would look at the less is more scenario. Get yourself a decent light to in the centre of your rig, room filling. Dare I say the Adj Dekker, or the Kam Quadrix which you should be able to get for less than £150.

Keep the scanners, assuming they are DMX, then get a couple of PAR56 LED type cans which you can use on the rig or for uplighting.

Then get yourself a second hand DMX controller off ebay (circa £50-£60) and learn to programme it.

Then you will have plenty of lights for all sorts of parties. You can use the pars for uplighting or direct on the dancefloor. You will be able to slow down and speed up the scanners and the centrelight to create different moods.

Fristly apologies for putting this in the wrong section of the forum...i will get used to it i promise!

Thanks for the info...really is appreciated.
    With regard to the sort of parties I'm doing i'm feeling my way in at the moment. The only places I've played at so far are small pubs and I need to move up the scale. I'm not aiming at anything too big...certainly not weddings YET...just small - medium birthday parties, functions etc.

The info you've given me on the lighting is great. Different view points from people in the trade is exactly what I need so I can compare and see what might work best for me.

Have to say the Quadrix looks good....and also the Dekker, but as it shows in the video, looks like it works better as a pair?

Quote Originally Posted by RabbittsKaraoke View Post
    Have to say the Quadrix looks good....and also the Dekker, but as it shows in the video, looks like it works better as a pair?
    Depends how much space you are trying to fill. I would say that my average gig I will use 5-6 lights at most in different configurations to suit each event, so try and get the most out of your kit for the money.

So last month
    Wedding - 2 x EFX500 for dancefloor lighting and 4 x Megabars for backlighting
    Birthday 30th - 1 x EFX500, 2 x Impossibled and 2 x Megabars for dancefloor lighting. Cluster laser shooting from behind me, Smoke/haze
    (alternative) Wedding - 2 x EFX500, 2 x Megabars for dancefloor, Cluster laser behind, smoke/haze

Next month is a 21st so i will use the Megabars strobing

if you choose and programme carefully your lights will be suitable for all kinds of celebrations and moods.

I have 8 buttons on my controller that are programmed for the above lights in various configurations. This covers slow dances, general pop music type speed up to the real ravey stobes and fast moving effects.

All my other lights have been sold or are up for sale enabling me to concentrate on my core show and gradually improve that, for instance I would like Wizards rather than EFX500's eventually