Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vale Hotel, Hensol, Vale of Glamorgan (4 star hotel)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Boy View Post
    PM Sent - re venue.
    Thanks Jonny PM replied too - and I have to say best PM I have had as it looks like I am going to be in touch with some more LOCAL dj's which I have been wanting to do for some time!

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Right mate, you're not gonna like this, but by and large it's right.
    1)Most noise for least outlay: Peavey Pro system
    2)Best sound for least outlay: Class D
    3)Best sound and most noise (if your pocket will stand it): RCF.
    4) Making best use of what you've got: Subs, crossover and second amp with existing amp and tops.

1) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    Dunno what the reserve is, but there's an awful lot of Db for your buck there.
    2) Something like
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Class-D-Speake...item439f445484
    3) It's all good.
    4) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pair-Class-D-C...item3a5acbb787
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Behringer-CX34...item1e5b9824b0
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BEHRINGER-EP25...item35a95f904d

Sorry all options cost money, but your present gear isn't up to the job. The figures from that amp indicate that it's not big enough. At a pinch it would run tops, but that's all. If you try to get more out of that kit than it's capable of, there'll be tears before bedtime. Like I say, sorry and all that, but trying to offer constructive criticism.
    Hi Excalibur, I completely repect and appreciate your honesty with your reply. You are COMPLETELY RIGHT that my sound system is not up to the job (especially for larger venues) and I am aware it will cost me to improve things. Just at the moment, I'm not goind to have the money and probably for some time to come (due to being out of work and this being a part time job for me and also starting a family very soon!) I may look into hiring out for this one as Jonny Boy (above) has kindly pointed me to a local hire place and given me some useful info too.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve - FDDJ View Post

Nope.

Minimum he has to buy another amp and run his cabs full range, or he has to buy an amp, crossover and some subs, which means he could sell the large speakers he has but that would only get him about £4.20 back...

Plus if he only rarely works at a venue of this size and his current system is adequate for the majority of work he does investing in new kit could be a false economy.

I think hire is the best option in this case and if he wants to improve his system over the longer term he can do, but he will have to spend decent money.

Even good quality second hand PA is very hard to get hold of for a bargain price and the downside is you never know how it has been run.

Cheers Steve FDDJ

As I said with Excalibur I completely agree I will have to spend the cash to improve my system but when I can afford to do that is another question indeed!

HIRING might be an option for this booking but I think in hindsight I may have been better not taking the booking with how big the room in the venue is (didn't know the size when I took the booking only upon my visit like I said earlier) but I'm going to give it a shot with my big speakers for this one!

Thanks again

Default Update

Well I had this event last night and thought I would post a summary of how it went.

I arrived for 5pm and parked my van near to where I would be unloading. I walked to reception and informed them the dj had arrived. She said the guests were just finishing the sit down meal but said we could go upstairs as the room had been sectioned off. I then used the lift which had plenty of room for me to bring in my gear all in one go and with the use of the hotel's trolley I managed to get everything into the room in around 20 minutes. Having visited the hotel a few weeks earlier I was very relaxed and new exactly what to do and where to go which always helps.

I had plenty of time and room to setup in the corner next to the assembled dancefloor. I was very excited to try the gear out as I was using my four speakers for the first time using the hired amplifier which I picked up on Thursday. The guy I hired the amplifier from adjusted the switches on the back of the amp beforehand to suit the power of my speakers and I linked both my amps up with my new XLR leads.

The setup was complete in about an hour (I was taking my time as I arrived early) and I did a sound check. I was absolutely delighted the sound was perfect and the best sound I have had for any disco I have ever done

At around 8pm the bride and groom had their first dance (Amazed by Lonestar - proving a very popular first dance choice for me at the moment, this the 2nd week in a row I have played it). I was a bit disappointed with the turnout for the evening as there were a lot of tables empty. I put this down to the fact that the hotel is a little bit out of the way and the prices for drinks were very expensive. Almost £4 a pint of beer/lager and £3 for a pint of coke

Anyway the night went fine and I had a good few dancing on and off to a variety of old and new songs. Now the bride had given me a small list of songs beforehand but that was never going to last for the whole night but she had specifically said she did not want guests to make requests and said to me that she would be informing her guests of this. Well I don't think the message got through and guests did come up on and off during the night and I just decided to play their songs - I thought why not as everyone one of their songs had people dancing to them - meaning guests were having a good time.

The evening did go pretty quickly considering the size of the room and not too many guests there to fill it. I finished off with the Beauty and The Beast song as the bride requested and everyone seemed to have had a good night (although there weren't many left at this point).

All in all was a good night and I was really happy with the temporary sound system (thanks again to everyone on this forum and the hire guy who helped me to do this ) and I will be using this again on Thursday in a similar sized room before unfortunately returning the amp the next day. Hopefully one day I will be able to buy a similar spec amp - the hire guy did offer it to me for £300 but I told him I have no spare cash at the moment hence the reason I was hiring!

I managed to take some photos of my current setup before the disco last night and I will post some pics shortly.

Glad to hear it went well Craig, nice to see a successful outcome to problem solving. You could get a similar spec amp for around the £200 mark, but I don't suppose that makes it a lot more attractive. I've been trying to buy one since January, and aren't likely to make it before August, if I'm lucky.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk