Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm appalled.

Default I'm appalled.

Just as I think we are making some kind of headway as an industry things happen which seem to move the bar back down again.

On this and another forum in the last couple of days, I have read how DJs..

Use illegal downloads and mashups.
    Have no regard for the public's safety by not using safety bonds.
    Placing lights and equipment in dangerous places.
    Not being insured for business with their vehicles.
    Having no regard for copyright law.
    Not using pro equipment needed for the job.

It really makes me wonder why we bother sometimes.

I cant see why people are risking the insurance and H&S at work, a small fee for security to cover there backs when if it all goes Pete Tong then there totally
    Nathan.

I share your sentiment, Daz. It doesn't make the job any easier and unfortunately many potential customers aren't interested in some (or all) of these points, the majority of which, when compromised, reduce the cost of an operation hence assist in saturating the marketplace with cheap alternatives.

I made a comment with similar sentiment yesterday Darren - ie how I am feeling at the moment that the last however many years appear to have been a complete waste of time and effort for a lot of people.

To be fair you could say that about any given industry, there are always some that cut corners, cut costs and ignore legislation.

All you can do is be the best that you can be and don't worry about what others are doing that are outside your control.

JTRS

Quote Originally Posted by JoinToReadSucks View Post
    To be fair you could say that about any given industry, there are always some that cut corners, cut costs and ignore legislation.
    Yes, but I am talking about this one as it is the one we work in.

Quote Originally Posted by JoinToReadSucks View Post
    All you can do is be the best that you can be and don't worry about what others are doing that are outside your control.
    There's a big difference between "worrying about" what others are doing, than being aware of bad practices that are rife within the industry and having an adverse effect on bonafide operators' sales and profit.
    Last edited by A1DL; 18-05-2010 at 05:22 PM. Reason: typo corrected

It does make you wonder.
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

Quote Originally Posted by A1DL View Post
    There's a big difference between "worrying about" what others are doing, than being aware of bad practices that are rife within the industry and having an adverse effect on bonafide operators' sales and profit.
    I'm not sure I understand your position?

Let's look at Darren's list as an example:

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Use illegal downloads and mashups.
    Have no regard for the public's safety by not using safety bonds.
    Placing lights and equipment in dangerous places.
    Not being insured for business with their vehicles.
    Having no regard for copyright law.
    Not using pro equipment needed for the job.
    The only thing that I can see helping someone gain some sort of "competitive advantage" over your business is obtaining a music collection via illegal downloading.

Everything else comes back to their own stupidity and only gives a professional an advantage as far as I can see, not them.

Guess you won't want a copy of the latest Mash Up collection I just downloaded then Daz?
    Exit stage left...

Quote Originally Posted by A1DL View Post

I'd disagree about it having an adverse effect, the cowboys make the good ones look better. I always get a positive reaction from venue managers when I ask about FAP's or they see me taping down loose wires etc.

I've also read a lot of posts on here (most by Shakermaker) who also comments on the positive reaction of venues and repeat bookings because he was more professional in his approach than others the venue had seen.

I'm aware of what others do but I don't worry about it because it's out of my control and nothing I say or do will change that.

JTRS