Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 X IEC to Bulgin

Red face 4 X IEC to Bulgin

Ok sure someone will be able to advise, need to wire 4 IEC to a bulgin. Can anyone tell me if its ok to loop over the earths at the IEC end and just connect 2 neutrals out of the 4 as its linked at the bulgin end.
    The IEC's are on the back of NJD Euro 8 unit but I need a bulgin as I am using stand mates with a bulgin plug on.
    If anyone can advise I would appreciate or if you need more info

Thanks in advance

Dave
    Bossman karaoke Disco

Steve

That is the same as the standmates that I use. On the back of the NJD euro 8 there are 4 female iec sockets so I have to plug 4 male iec plugs and have them come to a female bulgin. The neutral pins are looped in the standmate and so I just want to know do I have to loop the earth and neutrals or can I just feed off 1 earth into the bulgin and 2 neutrals and then the 4 lives.
    I hope I am explaining this clearly
    Thanks

Dave
    Bossman Karaoke Disco

Quote Originally Posted by discomobiledj View Post
    That could add an extra dimension to my 4 led panels I will look into that as I still have my old controller from my light screen.

Quote Originally Posted by BossmanKaraokeDisco View Post
    Ok sure someone will be able to advise, need to wire 4 IEC to a bulgin. Can anyone tell me if its ok to loop over the earths at the IEC end and just connect 2 neutrals out of the 4 as its linked at the bulgin end.
    Let's just clarify the terminology first, as your descriptions "IEC" and "Bulgin" are somewhat vague. I'm guessing in this context you may be talking about IEC60320/C14 male cable connectors and a Bulgin PX/0956S octal inlet.

I'm unsure what you mean by "looped" - have you a photo of the wiring you're talking about? However, to try to answer your questions, a few key points;

1. The earths from each of the four tails will be commoned at the inlet and it is important that each of the earths is connected in each C14 plug, otherwise the failure of all four plugs to be connected at all times will compromise the earthing arrangements.

2. The problem with this spider is the possibility of an exposed neutral - as the neutral is a shared pole, which constitutes a widowmaker. In soca spiders you have dedicated phase, neutral & earth pins for each tail, therefore if individual tail/s are disconnected, there is no risk of shock from a common pole, nor a dependancy on all/multiple tails to be patched to maintain the neutral and/or earth.

3. Less likely, however the consequences of point (2) above could be even nastier if someone were to connect IEC60320/C13s to two or more of the C14s off different supply phases, with an exposed common neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by A1DL View Post
    Let's just clarify the terminology first, as your descriptions "IEC" and "Bulgin" are somewhat vague. I'm guessing in this context you may be talking about IEC60320/C14 male cable connectors and a Bulgin PX/0956S octal inlet.

I'm unsure what you mean by "looped" - have you a photo of the wiring you're talking about? However, to try to answer your questions, a few key points;

1. The earths from each of the four tails will be commoned at the inlet and it is important that each of the earths is connected in each C14 plug, otherwise the failure of all four plugs to be connected at all times will compromise the earthing arrangements.

2. The problem with this spider is the possibility of an exposed neutral - as the neutral is a shared pole, which constitutes a widowmaker. In soca spiders you have dedicated phase, neutral & earth pins for each tail, therefore if individual tail/s are disconnected, there is no risk of shock from a common pole, nor a dependancy on all/multiple tails to be patched to maintain the neutral and/or earth.

3. Less likely, however the consequences of point (2) above could be even nastier if someone were to connect IEC60320/C13s to two or more of the C14s off different supply phases, with an exposed common neutral.
    In laymans english please Tony
    http://www.dynamic-entertainment.co.uk

Tel:0800 990 3030

The opinions here are those of an individual and not necessarily those of Dynamic Entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by BossmanKaraokeDisco View Post
    The IEC's are on the back of NJD Euro 8 unit but I need a bulgin as I am using stand mates with a bulgin plug on.
    If anyone can advise I would appreciate or if you need more info

Thanks in advance

Dave
    Bossman karaoke Disco
    Standmate in reverse ?
    This any good to you ??
    http://www.images2.co.uk/Cable_Leads..._BU600510.html
    The Keyboard is mightier than the Sword ?
    Occasions Of Excellence For One & All In Cornwall

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic Entertainment View Post
    In laymans english please Tony

i think what Tony might be getting at, is if you need to ask, you are not suitably qualified.

Quote Originally Posted by csg View Post
    i think what Tony might be getting at, is if you need to ask, you are not suitably qualified.
    Or might die!
    www.nkentertainment.co.uk
    The north wests premier wedding DJ and singer package. We will not be beaten on quality!
    www.michaelmooble.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by A1DL View Post

Ok see what your saying and yes I know that these things have to be done correctly, the wiring is unique to my show and handled purely by me so therefore any customising is only going to be handled by me and after 28 years of not dying I guess I get it right.
    Thanks for the reply and I now understand what has to be done, I thought that was the case, just needed re-assurance

Many thanks

Dave
    Bossman Karaoke Disco