Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lighting, your views, part the second.

Default Lighting, your views, part the second.

Right, we've had a bit of fun in the first one, now you lot have to do some work. This one's not for levity, it's serious. As I said, I've just about got my lighting rig where I wanted it to go, and I'm not happy with it, so a rejig needed.

I'll tell you what I've got, I'll tell you what I want to do, and all you've got to do is tell me how to do it without spending any more money. Simples.

OK, my initial aim: After using Justin's rig one night, ( Impossibled plus LED cans) I decided I wanted a mainly LED rig, with movement and wash.

First up was LED panels, and I now have three KAM LED800MKII's. I really need to control them, as in full colour mode they give loads of wash, but when they drop to 1/8th output, it's not always enough. I got a Chauvet 44 to control them, but I've had no joy in that direction at all.

The standard supplement to these is now four Revo Roll LED barrels run master and slave. Plenty of movement, nice pattern changes, but low light output.

When I get them all working, I'll also have four Geni Spin 3's. Nice gobos, DMX facility, but very heavy and with filament lamps, so relatively costly when they die. They tend to only go out on big/special events.

Two Zoom Virusators
    http://www.djsuperstore.co.uk/item/l...virusator-250w
    are available, but again, they have filament lamps, so quite bright, but bulky, heavy, and not DMX. They can be controlled with CA-8'S, but there's about five miles of cable on each one. They're great lights if you want tasteful and pretty, but only come out rarely now.

I'm aware I need a centrepiece, and it isn't going to be an Impossibled or Mirror ball. The obvious answer at the moment is a laser,but that's a long way further down the line.
    Neither will the wash effect come from parcans. They're another pet hate. I'm quite taken by such as the KAM parbar style, and truly wish I'd got one or two of those kits instead of the 800's. Ah well.
    Right folks, over to you. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Right, we've had a bit of fun in the first one, now you lot have to do some work. This one's not for levity, it's serious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I got a Chauvet 44 to control them, but I've had no joy in that direction at all.
    No joy in what way? You've got a perfectly adequate little board there, very similar to the Martin Freekie we use, so I'm well aware - with a little time and input - how easy it can be to set up a few static scenes and chases that co-ordinate and are manageable.

Not the answer you were after I'm sure, but try reading the manual, unless there is something else preventing you firing it all up?

http://www.chauvetlighting.com/produ...-44_ug-177.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    No joy in what way? You've got a perfectly adequate little board there, very similar to the Martin Freekie we use, so I'm well aware - with a little time and input - how easy it can be to set up a few static scenes and chases that co-ordinate and are manageable.

Not the answer you were after I'm sure, but try reading the manual, unless there is something else preventing you firing it all up?

http://www.chauvetlighting.com/produ...-44_ug-177.pdf
    RTFM? RTFM? Waddya think I am, illiterate? I have that epistle saved on both PC's, but it hasn't helped a DJ of very little brain. I know it's feasible, but I don't appear to have the right Magic Words. "Izzy Wizzy , let's get busy" didn't do the trick.

Oops, I asked for serious, and there's me being silly again. Sorry. Thanks for your advice mate, it all helps.

Hmmmmmm, well after an overwhelming response to this, I'm now sure of one thing. I've got to get the fourth Geni working for gigs where I need more light than the Revos can give.

Hi Peter

As you know I'm essentially a noise boy, not a real lampie, however have recently started to dabble in LX Nothing big by any means - just a few bars of tungsten PARs, some profiles, fresnels, Tri-colour LED PARs and some MAC250s. Essentially to sell as an "add on" for our eventpahire.co.uk clients whom ask if we also do lighting and has also started to bring in LX-only work, even though it's not advertised on the site yet.

My first observation about that Chauvet controller is that you're relying on programming sheets, which personally I couldn't work with.

Whilst old technology, I'm using a Pulsar Masterpiece for my lampie duties and it's best qualities are the screen driver and monitor. Logically laid out, dead easy to program and arrange/label channels, scenes, chases & environments. Busking is easy too, sure a Pearl would be nicer (especially for the movers) but that would be a little silly at this stage.

You often see Masterpieces on ebay and as a novice lampie I'd highly recommend, but make sure you pick up one with the screen driver. I found DMX a little like learning a second language, once the penny drops, you're cooking on gas.

Hope this helps

Tony

Tony, I remember when things were simple. You plugged everything into a couple of Zero 3000's, and you were in total control. Happy days.

what's a Zero 3000?

Quote Originally Posted by A1DL View Post
    what's a Zero 3000?
    In here somewhere ?
    http://www.karillon.com/pulsar.html

Quote Originally Posted by A1DL View Post
    what's a Zero 3000?
    Never thought I'd see the day!!
    Ollie J. Needham
    O.J. Entertainment
    Northamptonshire, UK

Quote Originally Posted by OllieJames View Post
    Never thought I'd see the day!!
    Oliie mate, perhaps they were too cheap for Tony? This is its modern day successor.
    http://www.pulsarlight.com/Products/...6/Default.aspx
    It controls lightscreens, spotboxes and similar. In the old days, it was just so simple. All you did was take a feed ( illegal now, as Tony says, exposed pins ) from the unit, and daisy chain everything to everything else. Happy days.