Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: It makes you think

Angry It makes you think

I had quoted for a wedding at my local club , nothing fancy , just the first dance an a disco , however I lost out to the grooms mate.
    Still the wedding was yesterday and the reception was an "open " house event , as are nearly all the clubs events , so I have a quick look at the set up ,like you do , pretty neat , 3 x impossibleds ,2 x scanners , no cables in view , until we get to floor level , coils of black mains cable every where , couple of badgeless 15" full range cabs on tripods , and powered by a crown amp.
    small 2 channel mixer mounted in the shelf of the deck stand , being fed from the headphone out of the laptop , this is where it got interesting..

We got chatting ,he asked how many tracks I had , I replied around 15-16 thousand , he said I got 60000+ , any thing you need just give me a shout , and I have a copy of the latest VJD if you want it , fully cracked and working , he then said that all he does is private party's ,so he did not need PAT or PLI , he considers them a waste of time.

The outcome:

The clients did not give a damm , they got a cheap disco , and they seemed to enjoy the evening.

The DJ did not give a damm , because he got some cash , and it seems to me that was 100% profit.

rant over.

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

Glad you thought the setup was nice Daryll!

I need to get a new mixer sometime though.

My guess is that anyone carrying in excess of around 20,000 tracks is likely to have obtained them in a questionable manner.
    For one there isn't that much money in mobile DJing to justify the cost, and most of us will testify you simply don't need that amount!
    Most of that 60k+ will probably be album tracks.... great for a radio station....

OK, so there are DJ's who carry mega numbers of tracks, all bought and paid for (probably one or two on here) but they will be few and far between compared to those of us who carry what we feel we need
    Simon (Grumpy old man) - and proud of it

I have literally just got off the phone after having a conversation with the manager of my hotel residency. He called to ask my advice as he said that there is a wedding at the venue in August where they want to bring in their own DJ. The reason I mention this is because it seems that some venues aren't that clue'd up on the whole 'what you should have and what you should'nt have' thing.

Apparently the couple are adamant that they want their own DJ and have given the manager the DJ's contact details. The manager has spoken to the DJ and he has no PLI or PAT and uses a laptop to DJ. I gave my advice to him and told him that at the end of the day, he is the manager and if he doesn't want this other DJ in there then he should stand his ground.

The problem with this is that if the couple really want their own guy in there and he isn't allowed because he doesn't have PLI or PAT, well...if for example, it's me that ends up doing it, you are off to a bad start already because they aren't getting what they really want are they? Also, my guess is that the other DJ would more than likely be a guest too so I don't think it would go down that well with him either.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
    and uses a laptop to DJ.
    This gets my goat a bit
    Why would you add this?? Are all DJs who use laptops cowboys with no PAT tested equipment or PLI??

Apologies as I know this keeps cropping up but it annoys me when things like this are thrown in off the cuff.

Sorry, no offence meant whatsoever. I was quoting what the manager said. There's nothing wrong with using a laptop to DJ in my opinion and I have started taking mine along with me instead of the CD players...ok, I've yet to actually use it but it's there as back up.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
    I have literally just got off the phone after having a conversation with the manager of my hotel residency. He called to ask my advice as he said that there is a wedding at the venue in August where they want to bring in their own DJ. The reason I mention this is because it seems that some venues aren't that clue'd up on the whole 'what you should have and what you should'nt have' thing.

Apparently the couple are adamant that they want their own DJ and have given the manager the DJ's contact details. The manager has spoken to the DJ and he has no PLI or PAT and uses a laptop to DJ. I gave my advice to him and told him that at the end of the day, he is the manager and if he doesn't want this other DJ in there then he should stand his ground.

The problem with this is that if the couple really want their own guy in there and he isn't allowed because he doesn't have PLI or PAT, well...if for example, it's me that ends up doing it, you are off to a bad start already because they aren't getting what they really want are they? Also, my guess is that the other DJ would more than likely be a guest too so I don't think it would go down that well with him either.
    At the end of the day if its in the hotels insurance policy etc states that all outside performers / acts must have PLI / PAT tested equipment then the manager has every right to not let them play as he stands to loose more in the long run.
    ATR The X-Faders | Mobile DJ's in Essex
    Billericay & Surrounding Areas
    http://www.thexfadersdj.co.uk | Facebook | Twitter