Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacement Charger/Adaptor Toshiba Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    If you've got a 100watt power requirement for your laptop, then it's no good buying a 50 watt power supply.
    Er, yes, that is what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    If you buy a charger that isn't specifically for your laptop, then it probably wouldn't handle it. If you get a replacement charger specifically for your laptop, original parts or not, you shouldn't have a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Er, yes, that is what I said.
    Err, no it wasn't. It may have been what you meant, but it wasn't what you said.
    I see no mention of power requirements in your post. Granted, the phrase " specifically for " could be deemed to imply that, but I wouldn't have said it followed as a result. Grey area, I feel. Splitting hairs ( even though I've got naff all to spare. ) I'd totally accept.

It is of course possible to buy power supplies which are supplied with adaptors enabling them to be used with many different makes and models. The most important specification in this case would be to buy one with a suitably large enough output for the machine in question.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Err, no it wasn't. It may have been what you meant, but it wasn't what you said.
    I see no mention of power requirements in your post. Granted, the phrase " specifically for " could be deemed to imply that, but I wouldn't have said it followed as a result. Grey area, I feel. Splitting hairs ( even though I've got naff all to spare. ) I'd totally accept.

It is of course possible to buy power supplies which are supplied with adaptors enabling them to be used with many different makes and models. The most important specification in this case would be to buy one with a suitably large enough output for the machine in question.
    Which is what I meant by getting one specifically for your laptop
    Last edited by Solitaire Events Ltd; 10-06-2010 at 01:32 PM.

We got my step-daughter a power supply with the interchangeable connectors as Peter mentioned above. There are some good ones and bad ones out there, though. The first one we got lasted about a fortnight before the cable broke (just normal use as well ) but the replacement we got (a different model after a refund) worked well.

When I had a Dell I bought a Dell-branded replacement and it cost £60 only to find out that it wasn't the power supply that had failed but the actual power socket had come loose off the motherboard. PC World said I'd need a new motherboard but it'd be simpler buying a new laptop (cue Toshiba!).
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    it wasn't the power supply that had failed but the actual power socket had come loose off the motherboard.
    This is the single most common fault on laptops. Pushing in too hard, or tilting upwards / sideways while it's inserted....not a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    This is the single most common fault on laptops. Pushing in too hard, or tilting upwards / sideways while it's inserted....not a good idea
    Another very good reason to choose Mac MagSafe rocks

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    I know that now. Only wish I did before I parted with the £60 for a new power supply! I thought it was the power cable as if you wiggled it a little it seemed to work. Now I know that was just because the actual socket was temporarily making a contact with the motherboard and wiggling the cable was actually making things worse.

I think the problem with me was the way I sat with a laptop on my knees. I've got quite longs legs so my when I sit my knees are usually higher than the tops of my legs so this caused my knees to push up on the power cable if you can picture what I mean.

The Acer gets quite hot when it's working so I wouldn't even consider using that on my legs!
    Dazzy D

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by vectisvibe View Post
    Another very good reason to choose Mac MagSafe rocks
    I often wonder if Steve Jobs rewards you for all the Mac promotion work you do, Martin!
    Dazzy D

Born to make you party!

The Acer gets quite hot when it's working so I wouldn't even consider using that on my legs!
    Another reason for getting a Mac

I often wonder if Steve Jobs rewards you for all the Mac promotion work you do, Martin!
    Yeah, right....

haha PSU on a mac if it goes its a nice bill for £70 for a new one! >.<