Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Global Truss upright podium.

Default Global Truss upright podium.

Im considering going down the route of upright sections of Global Truss (quad) with a moving head on top of it (weighing 23kg).

Taking into account the weight of the fixture, and having the podium at 2 metres tall, how big of a baseplate should i have?

Thanks guys

Steve
    http://www.dynamic-entertainment.co.uk

Tel:0800 990 3030

The opinions here are those of an individual and not necessarily those of Dynamic Entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic Entertainment View Post
    Im considering going down the route of upright sections of Global Truss (quad) with a moving head on top of it (weighing 23kg).

Taking into account the weight of the fixture, and having the podium at 2 metres tall, how big of a baseplate should i have?

Thanks guys

Steve
    As long as you use at least M10, or preferably M12 Rawlbolts to anchor them, I don't see a need for an excessive footprint.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I was thinking a ton of cement on top of the base, but that's a bit too over the top

Will the head be mounted on top of the truss?
    Be careful that the footprint of the base is enough to stop the head toppling over as it will be top heavy.
    what's the size of the base on the head and I'll draw it up on our cad system and get you a size.
    (Yes I know I'm showing off now)
    If I'm talking to much, tell me to shut up!!

The views expressed by this member are solely his own and are not connected with the company he is representing.

Sorry Peter, needs to be packed up when im done....

Hiya Kevin, working on 12x12inch should be adaquate. Thanks.

The opinions here are those of an individual and not necessarily those of Dynamic Entertainment.

I've been meaning to ask the same thing for a while, so I'll be following this thread with interest.

Looks like we may be onto the same idea eh Shaun....

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic Entertainment View Post
    Sorry Peter, needs to be packed up when im done....
    Hiya Kevin, working on 12x12inch should be adaquate. Thanks.
    SDS Cordless drill. Cordless impact driver. Simples.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Perhaps you would consider buying some sheets of 18mm or 25mm ply, cutting some 800mm x 800mm squares, double them up, glue / screw together, paint with some matt black paint, pop in some t nuts, modify the and bolt the baseplates to that then add ballast / outriggers. The DIY jobby did well enough for us.

Building on what Peter suggested really. You may also consider sticking some rubber matting underneath it all to protect the flooring.

I've also seen barbecue heat plates modified in the workshop to accept the various conical connectors and pins a la Trilite / Milos. You're talking 5mm by about 800mm across. I would imagine this is fairly straightforward stuff for most metal workers, but the base plate itself would weigh 25 - 30kg and wouldn't come cheap.

In fact, a quick search brought up this which, in my opinion, is exactly the sort of thing you should be looking at. I don't know of any UK suppliers, so good luck with that.

Stage weights from Flints, or a few sandbags from B&Q!

Would an 18lbs (8.16kg) bass plate be sufficient do you think Jack, with a footprint of 16x16inch?

http://www.globaltruss.com/ProductDe...391&Category=9

Prolight import the Global Truss brand, so they may well get a call for a custom import with their next shipment....
    Last edited by Dynamic Entertainment; 17-06-2010 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    Perhaps you would consider buying some sheets of 18mm or 25mm ply, cutting some 800mm x 800mm squares, double them up, glue / screw together, paint with some matt black paint, pop in some t nuts, modify the and bolt the baseplates to that then add ballast / outriggers. The DIY jobby did well enough for us.

Building on what Peter suggested really. You may also consider sticking some rubber matting underneath it all to protect the flooring.

I've also seen barbecue heat plates modified in the workshop to accept the various conical connectors and pins a la Trilite / Milos. You're talking 5mm by about 800mm across. I would imagine this is fairly straightforward stuff for most metal workers, but the base plate itself would weigh 25 - 30kg and wouldn't come cheap.

In fact, a quick search brought up this which, in my opinion, is exactly the sort of thing you should be looking at. I don't know of any UK suppliers, so good luck with that.

Stage weights from Flints, or a few sandbags from B&Q!
    Damn, never thought of that.
    Would not of minded but I've seen something like that in a trade magazine I get.
    Jack, where did you get that picture from.
    If I'm talking to much, tell me to shut up!!

The views expressed by this member are solely his own and are not connected with the company he is representing.