Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Global Truss upright podium.

Bit bigger than what I'd like but it'd do the trick.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_baseplate_multi.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Get Me A DJ View Post
    Good idea, but what happens if they knock it hard and it goes whizzing off pulling cables with it.
    I think it's a health and safety hazard IMO.

Better to have it fixed to the floor as it's more stable.
    Screwing it to the floor would undoubtly be the safest solution, but few venues would allow that to happen. Tall, freestanding, top heavy structures will always present some degree of risk, this can be mitigated by increasing the size/weight of the floorplate, but this in itself introduces a tripping hazard as the size increases. I don't think there is a totally satisfactory solution available to prevent problems if a couple of big lads kick off in the vicinity of the stands, and I've seen that happen on more occasions than I care to remember, even at 'high class' weddings.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by EliteDJ View Post
    Bit bigger than what I'd like but it'd do the trick.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_baseplate_multi.htm
    That would do. but steep in price when i can get 2 peices of steel at 600mm x 600mm x 12mm for £150 delivered.
    http://www.dynamic-entertainment.co.uk

Tel:0800 990 3030

The opinions here are those of an individual and not necessarily those of Dynamic Entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    Screwing it to the floor would undoubtly be the safest solution, but few venues would allow that to happen. Tall, freestanding, top heavy structures will always present some degree of risk, this can be mitigated by increasing the size/weight of the floorplate, but this in itself introduces a tripping hazard as the size increases. I don't think there is a totally satisfactory solution available to prevent problems if a couple of big lads kick off in the vicinity of the stands, and I've seen that happen on more occasions than I care to remember, even at 'high class' weddings.

I Think you miss understood what I was on about.
    What I was referring to, is have the plate flat to the floor rather than on casters.
    The more floorspace the stand takes up the lesser the risk of it going over.
    I agree with your point of heightened risk of tripping but if you place it in-line with the rest of the rig then it reduces the risk's.
    People will "kick off" at a venue (thanks mostly to beer) and there will be a risk of them getting knocked over, but like you say, it's never going to be a fool proof solution unless they are fixed to the floor (which is a no go area)

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic Entertainment View Post
    That would do. but steep in price when i can get 2 peices of steel at 600mm x 600mm x 12mm for £150 delivered.
    Why use steel plate when a piece of ally chequered board would be good enough?
    It's less weight and if the footprint is large enough it will support the weight from above.
    Plus the fact that the weight at the top will be causing a downward force onto the plate.
    All it's there for is to stabilize the moving head
    Last edited by Jiggles; 18-06-2010 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Merged! I have told you about the Multi Quote!
    If I'm talking to much, tell me to shut up!!

The views expressed by this member are solely his own and are not connected with the company he is representing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic Entertainment View Post
    You got a link?

Whats your email. Ill forward you the message as it was sourced through fleabay.

The opinions here are those of an individual and not necessarily those of Dynamic Entertainment.

PM Sent. Cheers, Steve.

Hi Guys,

This is something i've been experimenting with over the last few days which will form part of the setup i am building purely for my sisters wedding next month. Sorry it's not the best photo, I will get a few good photos once I have finished work on the base plates (at the moment they are just mild sheet steel with no treatment or rounded off corners etc). I have not decided yet whether to use rubber feet on the corners (to raise the plate high enough to clear the head of the bolt) or to use allen key countersunk bolts.

For those of you who are looking to do something similar the bases are 600mm x 600mm x 5mm thickness, and cost £15.00 each from a local sheet steel supplier.

Take care.

Jamie
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Excellent Thanks Jamie....Stable enough to support a 25kg moving head I assume?

First dibs on buying after you've finished with them J!