Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What a week!!

Default What a week!!

Weird week so far.

Lost a booking on Monday night (Wedding in October) due to the couple splitting up) and then had an enquiry for exactly the same date at the same venue today. Totally different customer and very weird.

I am working all week at the local college compering their annual fashion show. I have had 3 bookings privately already for next year and all I am doing is talking. Not sure how I got these but in the programme it says my name and has a link to my website. It's obviously working.

When I got in this evening I received a call from a guy that was....well...a total wind up.

I was having a bath after a long day and the missus answered the call and took the details. I called the guy back and he was very vague so people in my area....please be aware. His name was Liam and the enquiry was for a hire job.

I asked the usual questions and he seemed to have very vague answers.
    "What is the function?"
    "It's a wedding"
    "Where is the function?"
    "It's in Hampshire"
    "What it is that you are looking for?"
    "Look dude...I know exactly what I want...a small 1k system, speakers, amp, 1210's"
    "Ok, not a problem. Could I take some details from you as to the duration of the evening and the name of the venue"
    "Hold on dude...too many questions"
    "Sorry but I need to know where the venue is and how long you would need the equipment for so that I can give you a full quotation"

By now I am sensing that this is a no-goer.

"The wedding is for a couple of friends and it's in the grounds of their house. It will need to be set up in the afternoon and then collected the next day"
    "Ok, if I could take some details"
    "Just give me a price dude!"
    "I'm sorry but I can't give you a price if you can't give me specific details as to where the venue is"

This guy then decides to get abusive and call me everything under the sun so I end the call. He then texts me aswell (he called me on my mobile) and gives more of the same.

I didn't text back.

It does make me laugh as I saw this as a scam. Do people really think that I / We will go and hire out some equipment and have no worries about it? I explained to the missus that I could've gone back the next day and all of the equipment could've disappeared.

Like I said....a weird week!

Hiring out equipment to randoms who phone you up is not a route I think I'd ever want to go down. Especially if you ever want to see it again.

I'd be interested to know if this has ever happened to anyone before

www.accessallareasdisco.co.uk

Proud members of the NADJ

The minute he called me dude, I'd have lost all interest in the booking.

The same goes for bro & bruv.

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post

Me to Bro

Every day's a school day

Floorfillerz Mobile Disco

Simon Pridmore

and mate!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetie View Post
    and mate!
    Indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by simonp View Post
    Me to Bro

Quote Originally Posted by sweetie View Post
    and mate!
    Really?

He could call me any variation of the above and it wouldn't bother me one bit. As long as the enquiry is geniune I have no problem with my clients using whichever terminology and phrases they feel most comfortable with.

Quote Originally Posted by EliteDJ View Post
    Really?
    Definately!

Quote Originally Posted by EliteDJ View Post
    He could call me any variation of the above and it wouldn't bother me one bit. As long as the enquiry is geniune I have no problem with my clients using whichever terminology and phrases they feel most comfortable with.
    Fair enough, Shaun.

I'd rather avoid having chavs as clients, and I'm in the fortunate position to be able to turn down any gigs I don't want to do...for whatever reason.

Definately!

Fair enough, Shaun.

I'd rather avoid having chavs as clients, and I'm in the fortunate position to be able to turn down any gigs I don't want to do...for whatever reason.
    Someone calling you mate, Bro or Bruv would automatically label them a chav? Fair do. I prefer not to label my clientelle on the back of a turn of phrase.

I get this sort of call all the time, to be honest, it doesn't bother me, unless they are particually rude or aggresive, then the phone goes down. I've not kept statistics on this, but I estimate 75% of callers calling me Bro, Mate, Squire, Pal, and other terms of 'endearment' turn into customers. If I decide I'm not comfortable hiring my equipment to a particular caller for any reason, I find asking for a very large 'security deposit' does the trick. Judging by the conversation in that instance I would think it was likley to be a local DJ trying to find out what you charge, after being asked by a customer to hire his gear.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire