Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What a week!!

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    I'd rather avoid having chavs as clients, and I'm in the fortunate position to be able to turn down any gigs I don't want to do...for whatever reason.
    And someone who says 'mate' is a chav?

LMAO!

Comments on here get more ridiculous by the hour...

Cheers mate!

"Dude", I believe is a term used in the surfing community. I have no problems with them at all. I certainly wouldn't take offence at being called that. It's an affectionate term meaning "friend". Would you take offence if someone called you "friend"?

"Bro" is something I'm less familiar with, but again, don't think I'd have a problem with accepting a booking from someone referring to me that way.

"Mate". Now the opinions of this on here I find quite bizarre. Lots of people refer to people as "mate" round here. Everyday, when I get off the bus, I say to the driver "Thanks a lot, mate!". My four year old son now says this to bus drivers (as well as giving them the thumbs up!) and no-one's ever complained about me or my son for saying it (in fact, most of the bus drivers know him now and have a bit chat with him!).

I can understand any of these terms being offensive if they are used aggressively but in my own experience they've never been used in any other manner than friendly.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Some real pearls of life experience wisdon in this thread.

I dont think branding people by the way people talk on the phone is right and this can also be classed as discrimination.

Why does this thread make me think of Basil Fawlty's "NO RIFF-RAFF" sign???

Covering, West Midlands, Cotswolds, South & Mid Wales. Have van, will travel!
    National Association of DJs

Quote Originally Posted by EliteDJ View Post
    Someone calling you mate, Bro or Bruv would automatically label them a chav?
    Not mate, but in my experience when someone has called me bro or bruv they've usually been a chav.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    And someone who says 'mate' is a chav?
    No, but in my experience someone who calls me bro or bruv usually IS a chav.

I'm not sure why you're laughing at me, because I'm not even posting my opinions.....but my real life experiences.

If you both have different experiences, fair enough, but I don't really see why you should have a go at ME for some of the people I've happened to meet in my life & what THEY'VE been like.

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    I don't really see why you should have a go at ME for some of the people I've happened to meet in my life & what THEY'VE been like.
    And who is having a 'go' at you Rob?

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    And who is having a 'go' at you Rob?
    I'm not sure.

That depends on who you were referring to when you said "comments on here get more ridiculous by the hour", and on who you were referring to when you posted the muppet smiley.

now Gents, calm down!

One should be aware of regional languages or that word I can't spell (colo.....something)
    Up 'ere in th'north there are a couple of variations. EG in an village called Bollington everyone calls each other 'Pal' whether they know you or not, 'Mate' is another. In Staffordshire 'Duck' is the word....

I think 'Bro' and 'Bruv' probably came from the black and coloured cultures, but have been adopted by the likes of Chavs and others 'cos it sounds cool. Init.

I guess it's the context it's used in, often you get a feeling if someone is being a bit too 'pally' or if it's just their language.
    Simon (Grumpy old man) - and proud of it

Flippin' eck Tucker!! (That's for the older ones on here)...

Why has this turned into a thread about Chavs etc?

Rob, I think you are going well over the top mate. I agree with Twinspin, it is almost discrimination saying you wouldn't deal with someone who called you 'Dude', 'Bruv', 'Bro' etc...

This guy that called was a pain...simple as. It didn't matter to me whether he was a chav or whatever.....I didn't assume he was because he said "Dude". My wife took the call as I was in the bath. She is the most chilled out, mild mannered person I know and even she said that he was very pushy and arrogant over the phone. Apparently he said to her (after she told him that she wouldn't be able to give a price as it was my business)... "Look luv, you're married to him, surely you can tell me how much he charges". She found that rude and I thought twice about calling him back. I wish I hadn't to be honest but in a way I am glad I did. I offered advice and he didn't seem to want to know.