Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fixed playlist.

I'd look at this as equipment and operator hire, they obviously don't want a DJ for whatever reason.
    Shame you can't speak to the clients beforehand - I'm sure once they met you and you explained your reservations/experiences of fixed playlists they'd at least agree you could change the running order of the tunes (I suspect this will happen on the night though!)

Quote Originally Posted by discomobiledj View Post
    When the guests come and ask for a song to be put on, he can tell them then.

I'm sure the client doesn't mean he can't talk to anyone.
    Good point but the client might think he is trying to undermine there instructions,personally i would have not taken the booking as he has stated it was a late booking ,quite easy to say he was not available seems more trouble than it is worth.

Quote Originally Posted by TONYTIGER View Post
    Good point but the client might think he is trying to undermine there instructions,personally i would have not taken the booking as he has stated it was a late booking ,quite easy to say he was not available seems more trouble than it is worth.
    Not really.

Guest: "can you play xxx"

DJ: "Im sorry but the B&G have given me a playlist and asked me to esure i stick to it."

Simples...
    http://www.dynamic-entertainment.co.uk

Tel:0800 990 3030

The opinions here are those of an individual and not necessarily those of Dynamic Entertainment.

I tend to avoid strict playlists nowadays due to my experience being that they really don't work (most of the time). You'd need to be Mystic Meg and Russell Grant combined to read the crowd before the actual gig. Although I will concede it's possible especially with a small group of guests who are all in to the same things.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic Entertainment View Post
    Not really.

DJ: "Im sorry but the B&G have given me a playlist and asked me to esure i stick to it."

Simples...
    I had to do this at a walk-in gig a couple of months ago. I was subbing for another operator who hadn't told me the client wanted to play his own mix of songs (2CDs!) throughout the second half. I just had to go with it and, when people came up to request a track (or to moan about the tracks being played!), I just had to tell them I was under strict orders to keep to the playlist and they should take it up with the client. Never really had a problem after that.

Quote Originally Posted by robbiedj View Post
    I don't take "fixed playlists" unless I can get the proviso that, if it is clearly not working, I can adapt it to suit the audience.

I have never got through a whole playlist which would have taken the entire function. Very few clients know their guests well enough to cater for all.

One, who admitted his list was not working, was horrified when I put on Theme From New York. "Nobody dances to Frank Sinatra these days!" Then he turned around, saw a full dance floor and said "Oh, perhaps they do". I tore his list up. Nobody dances to Coldplay. By the way, he was a musician.
    Are you hinting that it was a musician from Coldplay?
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    I tend to avoid strict playlists nowadays due to my experience being that they really don't work (most of the time). You'd need to be Mystic Meg and Russell Grant combined to read the crowd before the actual gig. Although I will concede it's possible especially with a small group of guests who are all in to the same things.
    I've had experience of a few weddings like this. For one of my first weddings I was given a list of tracks and told that I had to mostly play tracks from within the list and only deviate a little, but I had free reign over the play order which meant things went really well. It helped that the majority of the tracks were corkers - the B&G had sat down and had a good think and picked out the "best music" (in their opinion) from the 70's through to present day - and luckily I think most people would have agreed with their choices.

Another time I was given a pair of CD's full of supposedly ballroom dance music and was told to play them in order from CD1 through to the end of CD2. In this selection there were some absolute howlers. The elevator version of Coldplay's clocks, the Cha cha version of a Beyonce track, etc etc. It was just painful for those two hours - and despite the majority of the guests being from the B&G's dance school and so familiar with dancing to the tracks - very very few of them did get up.

I've also been put in the position of being a jukebox DJ as per the OP a couple of times - and I did as suggested above in both cases, when people came to complain I told them the deal and sent them to talk to the B&G. The first time, once a small crowd had formed around the DJ booth, all of them begging me to deviate from the playlist, the groom came over and gave me permission to go with his guests requests. The second time the groom stated that "it was his wedding and the music that he wanted would be played" and asked me to announce this over the Mic. Unfortunately for him, his wedding was in the Town Hall in Bristol City centre within walking distance of all of the major night life, and the majority of his guests walked out. A few of them who weren't so familiar with Bristol actually stopped on the way out to ask me where the nearest pub/club that played xxx kind of music was!! I got home early that night

Julian

Quote Originally Posted by Megamix View Post
    seems a shame to pay for someone to entertain and then not let them do their job
    A bit like hiring an Electrician and then telling him he can only use the screwdrivers you will provide even though they might be totally unsuitable for the job.
    Larry Basham

Can you play something with a beat ?

I am sure I can expalain the situation to the client on the night. Even if I stick to the songs on their list but mix them up a bit.

I like a challenge, and will do my best to give them a good night.

I will try to get some pictures of the evening. Hopefully showing everyone dancing.

@Tony Scott, Totally agree about the Nirvana track, really big song for some people, just not one I would normally play. It was a request, and I followed it up with Blur- Song 2, which worked well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]www.super-sonic.eu

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    Are you hinting that it was a musician from Coldplay?
    No, but obviously wanted to be!
    Do you really want me to play that?

Magic Moments ....... making your moment magic.
    www.magicmoments-disco.co.uk

Secretary of NADJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Scott View Post

I'd go even further by printing out several copies of the playlist and scattering them around the tables. Put a note at the top stating that the music and running order has been carefully chosen by the hosts for your pleasure and that requests will not be required... have a great evening!
    Amen, Brother.

Quote Originally Posted by TONYTIGER View Post
    How is he going to publicise its existence when the client has told him he is not allowed to talk
    See above.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic Entertainment View Post
    Not really.

Simples...
    'nuff said.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk