Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: setting up a internet radio station!your thoughts

Default setting up a internet radio station!your thoughts

When I was was working in Holland about 14 years ago we used to listen to a radio station on FM that just played music 24/7,and it was really good...
    It played chart stuff and oldies.So I have been thinking,just for a bit of fun and maybe a hobby I could start one off on the internet

I know it has all been done before and there are millions of them out there but why not another one.It might not get any listeners apart from my mates.

I think I would need to set up a server for streaming and then there's a copy right issue,other people seem to do it

I wasn't thinking of being a radio dj chatting after every song but just having a playlist and letting the software do its thing.

am I mad?

What do you think

I think its great.

On the orange forum they had a forum radio which I quite enjoyed however they've stopped doing it now which is a shame
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Been there done that. Costs alone put me off getting one really going. For the licences you have to record the songs played and the number of listeners at that moment in time!

Quote Originally Posted by CB Entertainments View Post
    Been there done that. Costs alone put me off getting one really going. For the licences you have to record the songs played and the number of listeners at that moment in time!
    blimey

Been there, done it - doing it again end of this year with a mate from Worcester who works with Commercial FM stations.

Shoutcast servers aren't much money, although the licenses are...
    Ollie J. Needham
    O.J. Entertainment
    Northamptonshire, UK

I was a presenter on what was billed as the UK's first internet radio station (whether or not this was true, I have no idea). Running from studios in Newbury, Berkshire, the station was run by Bruno Brookes and Neal James, and called Storm Live (no am, no fm...no wonder we kick donkey!).

To cut to the chase, they couldn't make a penny at it, and it folded around a year in.

If you want to do something radio related as a hobby, I'd have a look at hospital radio, or a local RSL.
    Last edited by Jonathan Ford; 20-06-2010 at 10:16 PM. Reason: I hate this censor more than world poverty.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ford View Post

If you want to do something radio related as a hobby, I'd have a look at hospital radioL.
    I'm working at Milton Keynes Hospital tomorrow running network cabling into a temporary MRI scanner that's on a lorry,so I might have a word

I used to run a station and the running costs wasn't too bad although getting the listeners was the hardest part along with getting some decent presenters with studio quality equipment as I was broadcasting 128KB/S.

I also spent a fortune on getting new professional jingles and sweepers made up.

I currently am a presenter on a Community Radio station in Tamworth which broadcasts on both FM and online. However, our sister station is purely internet based. If you're interested in doing some shows to see how it goes, then this could be good for you:

www.reachonair.com
    Scott.

SC Events | Facebook

Professional Conference & AV Services, Corporate Entertainment, Equipment Hire and DJs