Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Over running

Default Over running

I had a booking last night which over ran big time.

Supposed to start at 8pm, and i eventually started at 9:40pm.

If this happens to you, do you put a smaller show in and try and get set up quicker or put your normal show in and hope people don't start moaning about the fact the disco has started late?

Had this a couple of weeks ago... had to set up early as wedding party were due back at 5pm so had to be set up and out the way by then. There was a kids entertainer on from 6pm till 8pm and the we were on from 8pm till midnight.
    After speaking with B & G the day before they said they'd like there first dance to start at 8.15pm. Time everyone got organised after the entertainer and meal we finally got started about 9pm.
    We just went with what we were originally going to do... Nobody moaned about the music starting late... infact we actually had people coming up and appologising about the late start.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamH
    Had this a couple of weeks ago... had to set up early as wedding party were due back at 5pm so had to be set up and out the way by then. There was a kids entertainer on from 6pm till 8pm and the we were on from 8pm till midnight.
    After speaking with B & G the day before they said they'd like there first dance to start at 8.15pm. Time everyone got organised after the entertainer and meal we finally got started about 9pm.
    We just went with what we were originally going to do... Nobody moaned about the music starting late... infact we actually had people coming up and appologising about the late start.
    To be honest, this is really the norm with weddings. I don't think we're done one yet that runs to time. You tend to find that when you get to the day, the bride and groom usually have no real concept how long speaches are going to take or how long they'll want to spend with there evening guests at the begining.

Best advice is to try to do early morning set up where possible and be prepared to hang around with nothing to do for the early part of the evening.

Daz, you didnt say why you were late starting?

If its down to the function overrunning --other entertainment dragging on or stopping you setting up in normal times then its hard luck--- not your fault.

If its down to very difficult access taking a long time then thats less clear cut.

Im a bit tired myself after after playing last night in a Village Hall with no easy access and wheeling stuff around for ages.

Im doing a dodgy Marquee job on a Camp Site a week Monday and ill be there 2 and a half hours before the KO just to be sure

CRAZY K

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW
    Daz, you didnt say why you were late starting?

If its down to the function overrunning --other entertainment dragging on or stopping you setting up in normal times then its hard luck--- not your fault.

If its down to very difficult access taking a long time then thats less clear cut.

Im a bit tired myself after after playing last night in a Village Hall with no easy access and wheeling stuff around for ages.

Im doing a dodgy Marquee job on a Camp Site a week Monday and ill be there 2 and a half hours before the KO just to be sure

CRAZY K
    Just in case it helps...

I found out what happened to the band I was working with on Friday - you may remember they had a power problem at a marquee gig the weekend before?

It turns out it was down to the generator company - all delivered and set up by drivers, but not properly tested on site. I understand they were wired wrong and were pumping out double mains voltage. Worth checking before you plug anything in. The guy from the compan providing the bands PA also installs powerand suggested that a badly set up generator system will blow gear simply from plugging in, not just when you swich on - be careful

Thanks Matt -this is why I bought a couple of surge protectors-presume they will blow if they get 480 volts

I still dont understand why the band didnt have surge protection themselves?

Did the guy you spoke to who supplies band PA mention this at all?

My DJ shop says you need regulated voltage and surge protection.

Thanks

CRAZY K

st1ngo

Over running .............
    I had a one once where I didnt even get in the room til 10pm !!! (not our fault)
    Obviously we set up as quick as poss and concentrated on sound b4 anything else.
    I will never forget doing the sound check .......The floor filled almost from first beat !
    Turned into a good night but I never feel "settled" when I have a late/rushed start.

I can count on one hand the amount of weddings that actually start on time (and dinner-dances come to that).

Certainly with weddings, I will talk through the day with the Bride & Groom to establish how long the meal and speeches is going to take. I usually suggest around the two to two and a half hour mark, depending on the venue. (It helps when your wife used to be a Wedding Co-ordinator in a Hotel).

As has already been mentioned, the speeches can go on longer than they thought. For example, I arrived one night to set up for a wedding which was due to start at 8pm. The speeches went on for 2 HOURS so I played the first dance at 9.45pm !!!!
    Ian
    www.limelightandrhythmdisco.co.uk
    Covering Herts, Beds, Bucks, Essex, Middlesex, & NW London ... but have been known to travel further afield. PLI & PAT - member of MDA.

Well I had the mother of all over-runs last night, I was asked to provide a PA for the speeches, at 6.30 so arrived just after 6.00 ( Kit already set up a.m) When I arrived, the bridal pary hadn't even entered the Marquee, they finally got in and settled about 6.45pm. They then had their first course, and then stopped for Father of bride, and bridegrooms speech, this was followed by the main course, at which stage the B&G went outside for more photos!. They returned and we then had the "Best-men"(there were 2 of them) speeches, followed by pudding, wedding cake, petit -fours and coffee.( Time check 9.45pm) went and removed PA- had quick chat with B& G- could I start background music at 10.00pm and they would do first dance at 10.10pm- but to invite people to join in after 30 secs!. Did as requested, one couple joined them! Followed up with " I think B&G were looking for a little more support than that!" - Floor full- and just could do no wrong- 10.45 Groom comes over to ask me to get everyone outside for fireworks(GRRRR!) , 11.00 everyone returns, played Madonna- Hung up and Kylie- FLOOR FULL again- right through to 11.30- when Bride comes over to say thanks and goodbye- they're leaving now, could I get everyone outside to wave goodbye!(GRRR! and MORE GRRR!)- everyone goes out, I keep playing- owner comes in, and says wind it up- I don't want them back in here!! End of night- total playing time 75 minutes!! :teeth: :beer:

Covering, West Midlands, Cotswolds, South & Mid Wales. Have van, will travel!
    National Association of DJs

Quote Originally Posted by soundtracker
    Well I had the mother of all over-runs last night, I was asked to provide a PA for the speeches, at 6.30 so arrived just after 6.00 ( Kit already set up a.m) When I arrived, the bridal pary hadn't even entered the Marquee, they finally got in and settled about 6.45pm. They then had their first course, and then stopped for Father of bride, and bridegrooms speech, this was followed by the main course, at which stage the B&G went outside for more photos!. They returned and we then had the "Best-men"(there were 2 of them) speeches, followed by pudding, wedding cake, petit -fours and coffee.( Time check 9.45pm) went and removed PA- had quick chat with B& G- could I start background music at 10.00pm and they would do first dance at 10.10pm- but to invite people to join in after 30 secs!. Did as requested, one couple joined them! Followed up with " I think B&G were looking for a little more support than that!" - Floor full- and just could do no wrong- 10.45 Groom comes over to ask me to get everyone outside for fireworks(GRRRR!) , 11.00 everyone returns, played Madonna- Hung up and Kylie- FLOOR FULL again- right through to 11.30- when Bride comes over to say thanks and goodbye- they're leaving now, could I get everyone outside to wave goodbye!(GRRR! and MORE GRRR!)- everyone goes out, I keep playing- owner comes in, and says wind it up- I don't want them back in here!! End of night- total playing time 75 minutes!! :teeth: :beer:

That's got to be the best one so far. I can imagine your frustration.
    Ian
    www.limelightandrhythmdisco.co.uk
    Covering Herts, Beds, Bucks, Essex, Middlesex, & NW London ... but have been known to travel further afield. PLI & PAT - member of MDA.