Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello Goodbye

Quote Originally Posted by mdjf_ian View Post
    For me personally I ask the client what they want and 9 times out of 10 they select "keep quiet" on my planning form.

Surely they just have a image in their head of a dj talking and being rather cheesey when they are saying this? Never had anyone complain and events 9/10 finish with people clapping, cheeering and asking for more
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

- "Evenin' all"
    - if's it a wedding I normally save the Bride and Groom announcements to the cake or first dance, otherwise i say 'it's <name's> birthday everyone, give them a big cheer'
    - ask for requests to establish a bit of direction, if i haven't been given one, which is quite often and I do ask every time.
    - occasional banter if see something funny
    - possible 'Your turn!' or "lets hear you' for appropriate singalong songs
    - If i am changing genre i might do a namecheck on the song or genre just as a natural transistion
    - at end of night, big up whoever the celebration for and get everyone on the floor for final song if they are not already.

i'm a bit of talker really (compared to some I guess) but i do adjust to the occasion / requirements and in some ways I am quite old school and some ways new school. I don't really do the 'ballads' at the end type thing unless specifically asked, I tend to play dancing stuff right to the last.

For me personally I ask the client what they want and 9 times out of 10 they select "keep quiet" on my planning form.
    There are just some things that you need to do for yourself without asking permission and saying goodnight is one of them IMO.

Always introduce myself & Carol, tell them we are happy to take requests etc.

Then finish with Goodnight all, hope you have had a good evening, safe journey home.

In between, only announcements as required and request dedications usually.

That's quite enough chat for most functions.
    Do you really want me to play that?

Magic Moments ....... making your moment magic.
    www.magicmoments-disco.co.uk

Secretary of NADJ

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    Surely they just have a image in their head of a dj talking and being rather cheesey when they are saying this? Never had anyone complain and events 9/10 finish with people clapping, cheeering and asking for more
    Maybe, but I give them that option. In fact there are 3 options. "Chatty" or "Important Announcements Only" or "Keep Quiet". Generally if i'm being honest even if keep quiet was selected I would introduce the first dance and maybe say goodbye at the end, depends on what the final song is.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    There are just some things that you need to do for yourself without asking permission and saying goodnight is one of them IMO.
    Some of my clients have specifically requested no talking whatsoever, under any circumstances. They have the option.

I think all this "safe journey home" business is a bit pretentious and cheesy myself but each to their own, it's good we're all different otherwise we'd all be boring old farts. It works for me and i'm sure saying "safe journey' works for robbie...that's not to say it's bad.
    just ian
    Wedding DJ - DISCOfever

Quote Originally Posted by soundmaster mobile disco View Post
    I believe its very important on how we start and finish a night of, as we will always be remembered for that reason.the way we introduce ect

If its a wedding i normally say goodevening and welcome along to...........for the wedding of...............

ladies and gentlemen would you please put your hands together and welcome to the dancefloor........................................ ....

i normally finish of by saying,thanks for coming along this evening,hope you have all enjoyed yourself,and i wish you all a safe journey home,goodnight.
    Good shot there I do strongly believe that making an effective and punchy start/end to a show is vital, it's a first impression's thing IMHO. I've yet to start my disco but I'd say something like "Hi, good evening and welcome along to the live and interactive show where you pick the hits and we play them from a massive selection of hits, from the 60's to the latest hit's, welcome to your party/wedding (etc), this........is Matrix 129." I'd also end the night with a nice liner saying "sadly we've come to the end of the show, my name's Mendoza (my stage name) from Matrix 129. Hey! We hope you've had a fabulous time because we know we have, I'll leave you out with.........thanks for listening and have a safe journey home and we hope to see you all again very soon, goodnight."

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    Good shot there I do strongly believe that making an effective and punchy start/end to a show is vital, it's a first impression's thing IMHO. I've yet to start my disco but I'd say something like "Hi, good evening and welcome along to the live and interactive show where you pick the hits and we play them from a massive selection of hits, from the 60's to the latest hit's, welcome to your party/wedding (etc), this........is Matrix 129." I'd also end the night with a nice liner saying "sadly we've come to the end of the show, my name's Mendoza (my stage name) from Matrix 129. Hey! We hope you've had a fabulous time because we know we have, I'll leave you out with.........thanks for listening and have a safe journey home and we hope to see you all again very soon, goodnight."

Neil.
    All using your "Jingles" right?

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Oh, how much do I hate some disco company names. And I can talk, mine is the cheesiest of them all...DISCOfever. It's a good brand, but I would never introduce myself....

"good evenings folks and welcome to the DISCOfever roadshow where you pick the hits and I play them, let's kick off with this right bobby-dazzler from August 1976, Dancing Queeeeeeeen....by Abba"

Oh purlease...cheese to the extreme!
    just ian
    Wedding DJ - DISCOfever

Oh, how much do I hate some disco company names. And I can talk, mine is the cheesiest of them all...DISCOfever. It's a good brand, but I would never introduce myself....

"good evenings folks and welcome to the DISCOfever roadshow where you pick the hits and I play them, let's kick off with this right bobby-dazzler from August 1976, Dancing Queeeeeeeen....by Abba"

Oh purlease...cheese to the extreme!
    See I argee with you on that but quite often I'll say in my goodbye have a safe journey home....

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

mmm, sounds a bit evangelical...but if it works for you then great... I don't feel comfortable saying that.
    just ian
    Wedding DJ - DISCOfever