Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Marquee Generators

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I beg to differ.

Actually, there's no probs with Arctic cable per se, except that :
    It's not resistant to impact, so shouldn't be used outside, where it can be trodden on, driven over, and generally abused. That's why it's not classed as suitable now. Trust me, there is a difference in durability.
    I know this Peter, the point I make is how come it was good enough 2 or 3 years ago and suddenly its not.

Whats happened--have there been a series of incidents--causing deaths or what

The cable I use is not trodden on, driven over or abused so frankly im very sceptical about the whole thing--its a bit like the old Police Parrot that says speed kills--no it doesnt--stupid drivers are the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1984 View Post
    the size of it could well have been a contributing factor, as i have previously stated.

The fact you had a 16a socket for your use doesn't mean you have a full 16a.
    you can buy a 1000w generator from machine-mart with a 16a plug on.

We are just trying to shed some light on generators as it's what we do.

As to your comment in post 46 about it being a fact that the set was not full at anytime might imply you checked it and never mentioned this to the client?
    It was quite obvious that it was never full i play in marques quite a lot through the summer months and have received power through simular sets never running out or stopping of this nature before.
    A fellow dj was working a marque a few miles from me with exactly the same set useing a bigger rig and it never missed a beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1984 View Post
    Over spec'ing a generator can lead to more problems.
    If you run a generator with minimum load on you will find they first start to smoke then the they can coke up and cut out.

A generator which winds down in the middle of providing power can cause major issues with sensitive equipment due to the slow decreasing voltage - image running your play-out through a dimmer!

Spec'ing the right generator is an art and not something anyone should just dive in a do - this is where marquee companies fall down - they aren't power companies and generally don't know what they are doing.

If you get the set loaded up and balanced well you will find it will run nicely with good fuel consumption - like a car - if the set is to small it revs its nuts of and drinks fuel if going up hill in a high gear it smokes and stalls!

I wouldn't recommend running a disco of a small 'camping' generator either.
    My experience of using Generators in the summer months for powering Disco equipment over many years has been 99per cent never a problem--just the one that ran out of fuel because the organising committee didnt know how to refill it.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    My experience of using Generators in the summer months for powering Disco equipment over many years has been 99per cent never a problem--just the one that ran out of fuel because the organising committee didnt know how to refill it.

Totally agree never had a problem with any genne before and there shouldnt have been with this one,just to clarify there was some mention that i could have known that there was not much fuel in it,i think it has already been stated on here i dont mess with equipment that doesnt belong to me once you start doing that you really are lineing yourselfe up for it.
    The problem was reported correctly to the people in charge of said genne set and was left with them to fix ie refuel they just decided not to put enough in.

Quote Originally Posted by jc light and sound View Post
    Totally agree never had a problem with any genne before and there shouldnt have been with this one,just to clarify there was some mention that i could have known that there was not much fuel in it,i think it has already been stated on here i dont mess with equipment that doesnt belong to me once you start doing that you really are lineing yourselfe up for it.
    The problem was reported correctly to the people in charge of said genne set and was left with them to fix ie refuel they just decided not to put enough in.
    Thats indefensible when you think how much is involved in buying fuel and how much profit they were making.

I never normally touch generators other than turning them off after everyone else has decided to off home and leave me to pack down the kit.

Thats indefensible when you think how much is involved in buying fuel and how much profit they were making.

I never normally touch generators other than turning them off after everyone else has decided to off home and leave me to pack down the kit.

Same here ,and yes it totally ruined my clients wedding evening and nearly ruined somed of my kit as well its a little sensitive to just haveing the plug pulled.

Quote Originally Posted by jc light and sound View Post
    nearly ruined somed of my kit as well its a little sensitive to just haveing the plug pulled.
    Really? What kit nearly got ruined and how?

I can't say I've ever come across equipment damaged by an outage on its own. An outage quickly followed by a quick restoration of supply could cause you problems. I suppose if the set had no AVR, the shutdown could have consisted of a loss of voltage prior to the set stalling, although this would only be momentary and IMHO unlikely to cause any damage, although I'll stand corrected if you can explain the physics to me.

Modern inductive load equipment with auto sensing power supplies will generally not function if the supply fluctuates +/- 10-15% of the reference voltage. Think of when you have an outage or a prolonged low voltage condition at home, where resistive loads such as incandescant lighting dims, but the TV won't come on. These conditions don't typically cause any damage to equipment.

Accepted some luminaires and amplifiers etc. with temperature controlled forced cooling will continue to operate their cooling systems after the lamp is switched off or when not processing a signal, however again, a loss of power is unlikely to cause any damage as the device is only going to get cooler naturally, albeit over a longer period of time, than its temperature at the time of the outage.

Quote Originally Posted by A1DL View Post
    Really? What kit nearly got ruined and how?

I can't say I've ever come across equipment damaged by an outage on its own. An outage quickly followed by a quick restoration of supply could cause you problems. I suppose if the set had no AVR, the shutdown could have consisted of a loss of voltage prior to the set stalling, although this would only be momentary and IMHO unlikely to cause any damage, although I'll stand corrected if you can explain the physics to me.

Modern inductive load equipment with auto sensing power supplies will generally not function if the supply fluctuates +/- 10-15% of the reference voltage. Think of when you have an outage or a prolonged low voltage condition at home, where resistive loads such as incandescant lighting dims, but the TV won't come on. These conditions don't typically cause any damage to equipment.

Accepted some luminaires and amplifiers etc. with temperature controlled forced cooling will continue to operate their cooling systems after the lamp is switched off or when not processing a signal, however again, a loss of power is unlikely to cause any damage as the device is only going to get cooler naturally, albeit over a longer period of time, than its temperature at the time of the outage.
    So Tony bowing to your superior technical knowledge

On behalf of those on here who only use their equipment to entertain the public--WHAT HAPPENS when Sound Limiters cutting current on a regular basis cause damage to equipment.

I dont understand why it would as I have had several "incidents" of that kind
    without any damage--but then I only use Peavey of course

I have heard many sharp intakes of breath on this subject but not heard of any ACTUAL damaged equipment--or does my good luck just follow me everywhere

thanks

ALAN

On behalf of those on here who only use their equipment to entertain the public--WHAT HAPPENS when Sound Limiters cutting current on a regular basis cause damage to equipment. ALAN
    Alan, whenever I have seen damage of this nature, it has been caused when the supply was restored (not when it was cut). Blowing compression drivers / piezos (they deserve to be blown ) is not uncommon in these circumstances.

The main problem with generator jobs, is not running out of fuel thats just stupid on the organisers.
    What i find is they put in a set then every Tom Dick or Harry comes along and sticks there ovens,fridges bouncy castles and such like having no regard of ratings and eventually trip out the sub fuse box.
    I have had cases looking at my power at the end of the line i have nowhere near 240v ,so i always run my computer on a psu as thats the thing that does not like dodgy voltage.