Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to run 2 amplifiers?

Quote Originally Posted by notroubleclubber View Post
    I find when using them together with my EP4000 amplifier they sound alot quieter at volume.
    As one would expect. Putting it really simply, running an active system enables each of the amplifiers to concentrate on the frequencies they are "responsible" for.

You'll end up with a clearer, louder sound and (on a simple 2-way active system) the benefit of being able to adjust the LF/MHF+HF crossover point, to your preference.

If you can't afford to buy a crossover, the Behringer ones can be hired for £5-£10 per day, which also will enable you to try before you buy.

I noticed that the ep4000 has a lower filter switch. Is it worth turning this on when using this as the sub amp?

Also, so if i "daisy chain" one amp from the other i dont need to use a rca/phono splitter?

if i "daisy chain" one amp from the other i dont need to use a rca/phono splitter?
    Correct. If your amplifier/s don't have "link" XLRs per channel, they probably have an XLR and a TRS jack per channel, which serve the same purpose, i.e. use a short TRS to XLR jumper lead to come out of one amplifier into the next.

I noticed that the ep4000 has a lower filter switch. Is it worth turning this on when using this as the sub amp?
    Depends what frequency it cuts at. It will cut the lower frequencies. If it is around 30 or 40hz cut and the speakers can only go down to say 40hz then you may as well use it as it is pointless the amp using power to produce frequencies the speakers can't reproduce.

If it cuts them at a higher frequency e.g. 120hz/150hz then don't use it as it will cut out most of the bass.

Just checked and both my amps inputs are either or xlr or jack. So if i get a xlr to jack lead x2 then i can go xlr mixer out to xlr amp1 in then jack from amp1 input to jack amp2 input or something like that?

Reading up on balanced xlr outputs, if i use the xlr output on the numark cd mixer into xlr input amp1 then it would be louder than using jack/rca/phonos?

Also im guessing if i use xlr output from mixer to xlr input on the amp, if i then choose to go to another amp via either jack to jack or jack to xlr then it wont be balanced and hence quieter to the second amp?

Im just wondering if i can get away with just going from rca/phono on the mixer out then splitting it as ive already got rca splitters then one going to each amp (2 channels per amp) then that will do for this particular gig? Will i hear much difference than daisy chaining the amps?

If you already have a splitter that will split the output from the mixer to feed both inputs of the amps then it should be fine to use it.

The jacks are TRS (Tip Ring Sleeve) - like the jacks on a pair of stereo headphones which are balanced. You can use TR jacks (Tip Ring) but it just means that it won't be balanced.

In practice, you probably won't hear much difference in the volume and if there was, just adjust the gain control on the amps to compensate. Just make sure you don't let the amps clip (even mild clipping).

Rather than spend money on additional cables, save the money and put it towards a Crossover when you can afford one

I think im going to split the signal with the spliiters i have for that one gig and then save for a crossover. Im watching some on the bay as we talk!

The idea of running one output from the Master and one from the booth does work, however you may be without an output VU for the booth. I have ran my system that way before.

I would use a digital driverack ideally though, or an active (powered) external crossover, if budget is lower.

I believe ive only got one master output, the only other output is the headphones.

The problem with just splitting the master LR signal, is you will be sending both amplifiers a full range signal, as opposed to the LF and MHF+HF signals they want. This will result in the LF amplifier feeding the subs with program that they cannot reproduce and the tops running as full range cabs. I doubt the sound would be as good as passively linking the boxes as described in the OP.

As Max states above, you really need a crossover to do the job properly.