Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How critical are you....

There's a big difference between forming an opinion in your own mind (or even expressing it to those close to you) and going up and telling the DJ what you think of him!

I doubt that many would be as callous as to do that! (and, without re-reading the whole thread, I don't recall anyone suggesting it!)

st1ngo

At least one person came as good as saying they would do that
    maybe you should read back
    How can you comment if you dont recall whats been said ?

Quote Originally Posted by st1ngo
    So what do you do ??

Do you walk up and say yre crap to the DJ ??

Who are you to judge !

If you walked up to me when I was working and said that you would get more than you bargained for !
    Of course I don't, I most likely wouldn't say something, unless I thought I could give good advice - or indeed if I thought anything was unsafe about the setup (I've seen some dodgy setups around - lighting units balancing on top of speakers etc etc)

I already told you that I am quite happy to 'judge' against my own standards, although as I said, I won't pass my opinion on to the DJ unless I thought it necessary

Quote Originally Posted by st1ngo
    The point I was trying to make is we may well compare in our minds but we have no right to judge
    I agree with St1ngo - how can we judge?
    Equipment: perhaps if it is shoddy, or homemade rubbish, or not up to standard soundwise.

Appearance - Scruffy t-shirt and jeans don't cut it at a wedding.

But performance wise its all down to opinion- there is no right or wrong- usually punters will vote with their feet, but even that's not always an indication- there can be lots of reasons for people not dancing( as discussed many times before!) You may sound good in your own head- but totally grate on everyone else. :teeth:

Covering, West Midlands, Cotswolds, South & Mid Wales. Have van, will travel!
    National Association of DJs

Quote Originally Posted by soundtracker
    I agree with St1ngo - how can we judge?
    Equipment: perhaps if it is shoddy, or homemade rubbish, or not up to standard soundwise.

Appearance - Scruffy t-shirt and jeans don't cut it at a wedding.

But performance wise its all down to opinion- there is no right or wrong- usually punters will vote with their feet, but even that's not always an indication- there can be lots of reasons for people not dancing( as discussed many times before!) You may sound good in your own head- but totally grate on everyone else. :teeth:
    You're assuming they are doing a decent job - what if they're not? What if they're playing The Aqua Megamix, or the Cha Cha Slide every 10th track?!

Obviously we have no place to criticise if they're not doing anything 'wrong', but if they're rubbish - they're rubbish!

I never assume anything- there may be a perfectly valid reason for playing those songs frequently- it works for Radio One!

Covering, West Midlands, Cotswolds, South & Mid Wales. Have van, will travel!
    National Association of DJs

Quote Originally Posted by BeerFunk
    You're assuming they are doing a decent job - what if they're not? What if they're playing The Aqua Megamix, or the Cha Cha Slide every 10th track?!
    How do you know that wasn't what the customer asked them to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment
    How do you know that wasn't what the customer asked them to do?
    I was basing that example on a DJ that plays in one of my locals, so obviously he has a free reign on what he plays - but he only gets paid something like £40/50 + free beer! I suppose I can't blame him at that, but he obviously has no idea what he's doing - my friends and I actually like him because we find his song selection comical :teeth:

iany

Watching other DJ's at work can only help if they are not up to par.
    When I'm out with the other half, I can pick faults quite easily, and sometimes spot mistakes that we all would make as well. Remember guys - nobody's perfect - we all ****-up every now and then.
    You just remember seeing someone else screwing up, and you try not to make the same mistake - hence an inprovement.

I love nothing better than standing around in a club/bar disco and telling her the nemes of all the lights - what they do - how much they cost - how dirty they are - how the DJ just faded in that last song badly - his mic technique - sound levels - etc...etc....

We all do it.

Ian.

I love watching other DJ's, i wouldn't say any are better or not as good as me, everyone to thier own blah blah blah , at the end of the day the DJ could be having a nightmare, but whose to say the night before he didn't have a stormer? At the end of the day, its the crowd and thier attitude that makes a night, us DJ's can help form a great atmosphere, play some stonking tunes etc but if crowd are in a bad mood (for reason's outside the DJ's control) there aint much we can do is there?

Back to topic tho..yes i do admit i will sit there and think to myself he is better or I could do that better ....and come on you all have to admit you find it hard to stiffle your laugfhter when he/she does a complete butcher mix
    Last edited by Candybeatdiscos; 16-07-2006 at 11:08 AM. Reason: spelling mistake - ok i am useless lol
    Gaz Evans
    www.candybeatdiscos.com
    Kids Parties, Weddings, Birthdays
    Fife, West Lothian, Edinburgh, Falkirk, Stirling & Glasgow