Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heads up, email scam.

Default Heads up, email scam.

For those of us who use online banking. I've just received an email purporting to be fron HSBC. It said my internet access was blocked, and I should download the attached form to reset it. I was wary, cos as far as I know it wasn't locked, and so rang HSBC. I was checking the form as I pressed the phone buttons, and it looked genuine. A scottish lady with a gorgeous voice answered, and enquired as to the issue. I said I had received the email, was I locked out as it said, and was it genuine? " No. Delete it. "

I'm not too internet savvy, but a couple of things on the email address rang the bells. The phishing filter didn't rate it highly either.

Let's be careful out there.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    For those of us who use online banking. I've just received an email purporting to be fron HSBC. It said my internet access was blocked, and I should download the attached form to reset it. I was wary, cos as far as I know it wasn't locked, and so rang HSBC. I was checking the form as I pressed the phone buttons, and it looked genuine. A scottish lady with a gorgeous voice answered, and enquired as to the issue. I said I had received the email, was I locked out as it said, and was it genuine? " No. Delete it. "

I'm not too internet savvy, but a couple of things on the email address rang the bells. The phishing filter didn't rate it highly either.

Let's be careful out there.
    I've received a number of these over the last few weeks from both HSBC and Lloyds TSB. What set alarms ringing, and in a strange way equally set my mind at rest, was that I do not have and have never held accounts with either
    Even if you do use internet banking, to the best of my knowledge Banks would normally only communicate ths information by regular post or telephone ?
    Certainly never a good idea to click on links within emails..... you showed great maturity for your youth ( ) by contacting them direct Peter
    The Keyboard is mightier than the Sword ?
    Occasions Of Excellence For One & All In Cornwall

Also had the same one Peter but it said that the password had been entered wrong 3 times and to reset it press this link.

The thing that stood out to me is im not even with HSBC lol

DOH

Cheers Dave
    Dave

I get these all the time, the thing is....I don't bank with either HSBC, LLoyds or Nat West (which are the ones I usually get emails for).

Ah well, you see I do bank with HSBC, and I do bank online. If I'd got one from Lloyds TSB, or similar, it would have been obvious. The problem with this was that although the initial mail rang bells, the attached form was spot on.

I also received this, and just like Gary get them on a regular basis.

As I've said before, there are a number of simple things you can look at to ascertain whether these emails are genuine.

If they're addressed something like "Dear customer" rather than to you by name, they're fake.

If they're received by email rather than a phone call or a letter, they're fake.

If the email address they're from doesn't even contain the name of the bank they're supposedly from (just like the one mentioned in the OP), they're fake.

If the website they take you to is not the same as your online banking website address, or if it doesn't even include the name if your bank in the website address, they're fake.

If it's from a bank you don't bank with, it's fake.

None of the above is rocket science, so I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but I'm afraid I don't have much sympathy for people that fall for these scams.

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    I also received this, and just like Gary get them on a regular basis.

As I've said before, there are a number of simple things you can look at to ascertain whether these emails are genuine.

If they're addressed something like "Dear customer" rather than to you by name, they're fake.

If they're received by email rather than a phone call or a letter, they're fake.

If the email address they're from doesn't even contain the name of the bank they're supposedly from (just like the one mentioned in the OP), they're fake.

If the website they take you to is not the same as your online banking website address, or if it doesn't even include the name if your bank in the website address, they're fake.

If it's from a bank you don't bank with, it's fake.

None of the above is rocket science, so I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but I'm afraid I don't have much sympathy for people that fall for these scams.
    While I can't disagree with anything Rob has posted, I reiterate that the form attached would have taken me in if I hadn't been wary. It was perfect.It was only because some of the warning signs Rob alluded to had put me on my guard.

Yup! Same on here too.

Just a thought - I'd recommend filtering emails via a gmail account - my spam fell to almost zero since forwarding btinternet and other mail accounts to my gmail account - with btinternet/openworld I was trawling through dozens a day

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    While I can't disagree with anything Rob has posted, I reiterate that the form attached would have taken me in if I hadn't been wary. It was perfect.It was only because some of the warning signs Rob alluded to had put me on my guard.
    Golden Rule is don't use any links off e-mails from the bank.

Come out of e-mail and enter the log in page direct from the banks page. That is the golden rule to ensure you don't get stung. You can then check if there is in fact an issue. Some of the scam pages are actually key stroke sensitive so you don't even need to have submited the form and any data you have entered is harvested.

I bank with HSBC. I once had a really long conversation with someone from the bank. They called me about an issue and told me they had to check who I was so would need to take me through security. My first question - How do I know who you are and this went on for an age until I got their name and location and went back into the system via the main bank phone line and tracked them down again - Was happy they were who they said they were then.
    www.nkentertainment.co.uk
    The north wests premier wedding DJ and singer package. We will not be beaten on quality!
    www.michaelmooble.co.uk