Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After years of procrastinating ....

Default After years of procrastinating ....

I took the plunge and did my first children's party. Worried is not the word, nights of little sleep, chopping and changing of games, the order they should go, prizes etc.

So thirty children aged around six and the birthday girl was six.

Started off with an introduction laying down the ground rules, play nicely and boys no fighting or being silly. Told the boys they are made out of frogs, snails and puppy dog tails and showed them a bucket I had full of them, okay it was full of sweets. Still the thought they had to stand in the corner if they were naughty with their feet in it worked, they were angels (ish)

Started off with a disco dancing competion, prizes for best boy and girl, pass the parcel followed and then the hula hoop race. Musical poses with some great kangaroos, chickens, elephants etc. Finished the first half with coloured corners.

Birthday cake and tea party.

Second half I got them together in a circle and did Chinese whispers, followed by lily pads (a version of musical chairs). Limbo followed and I finished off, well nearly, with the prize walk/dance. I had numbered mats on the floor they danced around, when the music stopped they jumped on a mat. I got a parent to pick a number out of a hat and whoever was on that mat won a prize, it went down well!

The finale was, against my better halves wishes, because she thought it was NOT FUNNY, Oh how wrong can one person be!? It was Wet Heads! Martin aka Starsoundz, you deserve a gold star for putting me on to this, it went down a storm, oops sorry The children loved it, seeing their dads getting soaked, they were shouting at me to have a go at pulling out the 'straws', brilliant fun!

So after stressful weeks of worrying of should I, shouldn't I ... I did and it was good, not great because I was on edge I was trying to give a perfect performance as I always try to.

The applause was great, I was told by one mum it was the best children's party she had ever been to, heck that bought a tear to my eye. End result, happy clients and a happy dj ... Oh yes and I got two bookings from it for children's parties, a happy bunny am I. Nearly forgot a £5 tip
    Last edited by Silver; 22-08-2010 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    I took the plunge and did my first children's party. Worried is not the word, nights of little sleep, chopping and changing of games, the order they should go, prizes etc.

So thirty children aged around six and the birthday girl was six.

Started off with an introduction laying down the ground rules, play nicely and boys no fighting or being silly. Told the boys they are made out of frogs, snails and puppy dog tails and showed them a bucket I had full of them, okay it was full of sweets. Still the thought they had to stand in the corner if they were naughty with their feet in it worked, they were angels (ish)

Started off with a disco dancing competion, prizes for best boy and girl, pass the parcel followed and then the hula hoop race. Musical poses with some great kangaroos, chickens, elephants etc. Finished the first half with coloured corners.

Birthday cake and tea party.

Second half I got them together in a circle and did Chinese whispers, followed by lily pads (a version of musical chairs). Limbo followed and I finished off, well nearly, with the prize walk/dance. I had numbered mats on the floor they danced around, when the music stopped they jumped on a mat. I got a parent to pick a number out of a hat and whoever was on that mat won a prize, it went down well!

The finale was, against my better halves wishes, because she thought it was NOT FUNNY, Oh how wrong can one person be!? It was Wet Heads! Martin aka Starsoundz, you deserve a gold star for putting me on to this, it went down a storm, oops sorry The children loved it, seeing their dads getting soaked, they were shouting at me to have a go at pulling out the 'straws', brilliant fun!

So after stressful weeks of worrying of should I, shouldn't I ... I did and it was good, not great because I was on edge I was trying to give a perfect performance as I always try to.

The applause was great, I was told by one mum it was the best children's party she had ever been to, heck that bought a tear to my eye. End result, happy clients and a happy dj ... Oh yes and I got two bookings from it for children's parties, a happy bunny am I. Nearly forgot a £5 tip

Wow Simon....you kept that quiet....well done you!!!I know you were nervous about this aspect.

Two bookings as well....you watch this side of your business grow now.You must have had the personality to pull it off...so i'm nearly as pleased as you are about it....

You used a lot of your own stuff as well...some of which I'm going to nick....if thats ok with you!!!Anyway....i've tried helping the other Kids Entertainers on here by mentioning Wet-Head about 6 times now....but never felt anyone was really listening.

You need the desire to want to see other peoples kids having a good time.....I couldn't teach you that Simon....it has to be in you...I am delighted for you......

Quote Originally Posted by StarZSoundS View Post
    Wow Simon....you kept that quiet....well done you!!!I know you were nervous about this aspect.

Two bookings as well....you watch this side of your business grow now.You must have had the personality to pull it off...so i'm nearly as pleased as you are about it....

You used a lot of your own stuff as well...some of which I'm going to nick....if thats ok with you!!!Anyway....i've tried helping the other Kids Entertainers on here by mentioning Wet-Head about 6 times now....but never felt anyone was really listening.

You need the desire to want to see other peoples kids having a good time.....I couldn't teach you that Simon....it has to be in you...I am delighted for you......
    Wet head??? ................

Quote Originally Posted by daley bee View Post
    Wet head??? ................

Daley...you and me are due for a chat.I think we have some mutual interest...

You've had a busy weekend...so have I.

ChillPill....later????

Glad it went good for you Simon mate, i know sometimes it can be abit hard o start out with kids partys as theres always that dreaded thought (unless its just me) will they know this music or understand everything etc, but saying that the few ive done have been basic things, musical bumps, musical statues, best dancer boy/girl, pass the balloon, wrap up like a mummy (basically wrap the parent up in loo roll) and also try and do yourself, etc etc

But glad it went well mate and good on you for getting 2 more bookings

Cheers Dave
    Dave

Nice job there Simon,

Sounds like you had some serious fun mate

Keep up the good work
    Facebook - Bumble 'B' Roadshow
    Twitter - KidsChaos
    Skype - Garry.Williams402

Daley...you and me are due for a chat.I think we have some mutual interest...

You've had a busy weekend...so have I.

ChillPill....later????

In reply to all the PM's I have received about Wet-Head.A quick Google search(wet head) would reveal where you can get some from...there are even some cheaper than mine on ebay.

The principle is this.It is a very visual game which the Kids love.The Helmet comes in bright primary colours.It has a little reservoir in which you put about a 1/3 of a pint of water.The water is held in by eight rods.Pulling out a particular rod will release the water.....you nor the person wearing the helmet nor the children at the party know which one it is.

So we sit 4 adults on the stage.The helmet gets passed along and placed on the adults heads.....You can hear the kids gurgling with delight....and begging to be chosen to pull out a rod.

I feel i've arrived now.....even the intrepid Mr Mayhem is interested .....

Its fun .....Its visual....and it's replaced Limbo as our favourite game......

Quote Originally Posted by Booche View Post
    Glad it went good for you Simon mate, i know sometimes it can be abit hard o start out with kids partys as theres always that dreaded thought (unless its just me) will they know this music or understand everything etc, but saying that the few ive done have been basic things, musical bumps, musical statues, best dancer boy/girl, pass the balloon, wrap up like a mummy (basically wrap the parent up in loo roll) and also try and do yourself, etc etc

But glad it went well mate and good on you for getting 2 more bookings

Cheers Dave
    Martin, you so very nearly got a call Sunday morning I was a tad nervous to put it mildly!
    I had spent hours and hours trawling the net trying to get a mixture of games to go along side a couple the main man Mr Mayhem had suggested!

I had the games in order and had tried to work out timings, how long they would last, what to schedule in as the last one before cake time and tea, so I could cut it if things ran over. It was the 'in between' chat, the fillers that I was probably more worried about, how to introduce the birthday girl, what to say to her, how to get control etc. So different to an adult in the pub party!

A couple of things didn't go to plan, this I put down to nil experience. With the limbo I was going to give a prize to best boy and girl but there wasn't one the group who could get anywhere near doing a 'proper' limbo. So I was thinking on the spot "Heck where do I go from here, what to do!". So I got another game lined up, the prize walk and just asked them all if they'd had fun limboing (new word for Oxford concise!) and went into the prize walk.

Also when I was doing coloured corners I was convinced a couple of the lads who were knocked out crept back into the game, so do I say anything, let it go, was the game running too long? So that went a little wrong, having said the parents thought it was great fun.

But the Wet head was the icing on the cake, they loved it. My better half (who came with me) was dead set against it, the mums aren't going to get their hair wet, slippery floor and all that. So I pressed ganged three dads sat them on the chairs with everybody ganged round, it was a bit quiet to start with as nobody had seen it before. Well, by the time we got to the third dad the kids were jumping about screaming their heads of to pull out the straws, bedlam. It went down that well, so I asked the kids if we should do another run, well talk about a question where you have half an inkling as to what the answer is going to be! Round two was similar apart from the jumping and screaming started straight away!

So, yes I was relieved to have done the first one and especially with the comments I got, watch this space there will be more.

Martin, many thanks for your comments, I appreciate the empathy. I'm quite sure without you pushing me all those months ago to try the untried I would probably never had done and yes your virtual cheque is in the virtual post!

Dave, the music wasn't that much of a problem as I had done my research talking to the girl's mum as to what she liked. It was the running of it that worried me. Thank you also for your comments.

Garry, yes at the end it did feel like I had had some fun, didn't feel like that though at 5 minutes to two!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Re-Creation-.../dp/B0009XBYKI

I know Amazon are out of stock....but this gives an idea!!

Simon.....thanks for your comments!!You are "Top Man"....got some new ideas for you later.....which will make you unique...all the way down there!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Re-Creation-.../dp/B0009XBYKI

Simon.....thanks for your comments!!You are "Top Man"....got some new ideas for you later.....which will make you unique...all the way down there!!
    You really know how to whet somebody's appetite don't you!