Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: For the wedding DJs....

Whenever I've done it, I've always had comments that it was a nice touch.

Especiay if they're having a leaving arch at the same time.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

I agree with repeating the first dance - it's something that I've done more recently - but not every time. Sometimes the track just feels right and I always remind everyone that it's the B&G's big day and that the tune should always remind everyone of them and what a fabulous day we've had. The last tunes are always discussed in our planning meeting(s).

As for repeating other tracks, I don't like to do it. Sometimes I'll replay a track if it's requested again by someone who's nice about it. Once last year I replayed about 7 songs in the final 20 minutes - because they were the only 7 songs people had danced to all night - nightmare - but that's another story.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul The Party Dj View Post
    Once last year I replayed about 7 songs in the final 20 minutes - because they were the only 7 songs people had danced to all night - nightmare - but that's another story.
    Sounds like you were using your common sense to get the best possible result for the client.

All part of the job

Quote Originally Posted by pwes View Post
    As Victor Meldrew would have said - "I DON'T BELIEVE IT !" I seem to be the only one who plays New York, New York at the end. I have found for many years that it works, across different demographics, as the last song for a wedding. I always discuss it with B&G, sometimes they opt for something different (never forget is also popular), but I would say over 90% of my weddings go for NY,NY and the audiences seem to love it, great ending song !!

Not sure who mentioned earlier something like "why use the same song all the time", er, because it works ! Once you've found what works, don't mess with it, just accept it and use it...Never try to re-invent the wheel :-)

As above,I think it's great as that song works for you (if it aint broke don't fix it)
    when you dj out of your area do you still play that song?
    I do try not repeat tunes though, despite people offering beer, their girlfriend,
    to be their best friend for ever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    I dont get this idea.

You cant repeat a track due to some strange idea thats its not ---what--Professional

Years ago in the dim and distant 60s some of us had so few good records we HAD to repeat some

Nowadays theres plenty to choose from--however maybe you dont understand the principle of people like repeating things they like--few examples--beer, cigarettes, food--anyone say s.x are you getting the idea now

So last Saturday night I played Saturday Night Fever consecutively 3 times because everyone was having a ball Line Dancing to it---ok maybe they WERE drunk--but this WAS THE BRIDES INSTRUCTION.

And it went down a storm--ok im going to bed its all too simple really isnt it
    Some? Some? More like Many.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    I don't like repeating tracks either.

It's almost like you can't think of anything else to play, so you stick it on again as it went down well the first time.
    Errr, you're thinking like a DJ again. Yes I know, we all abhor repeating any track, but the punters don't. Also, bear in mind, we're there all night. Punters often turn up and request a track you played five minutes ago, just before they arrrived.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by vectisvibe View Post
    Although the strangest this year has been the Shaun The Sheep theme song Bride's choice, of course
    For anyone is following Four Wedddings USA - did you see the 40's themed wedding where they played classics like "The Hokey Cokey" and missed all the good stuff like Big Band, Swing, Sinatra, etc...

Looked like they had a great night - all eight of them who were dancing!

Julian

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Errr, you're thinking like a DJ again.
    Funny that, when this is a DJ forum and we are talking about DJ related subjects...

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Errr, you're thinking like a DJ again. Yes I know, we all abhor repeating any track, but the punters don't.
    I'll dispute that.

I can recall several occasions as a punter (even long before I had anything to do with the DJ world) where I have been part of / overheard conversations when a DJ has repeated a track where people have moaned / complained / made jokes about the DJ running out of music, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by livewire View Post

As above,I think it's great as that song works for you (if it aint broke don't fix it)
    when you dj out of your area do you still play that song?
    er, out of my area as in ? location wise, I would still recommend it to the B&G (but of course happy to do anything else instead), area of expertise (such as weddings being 98% of my work) no, probably not, I'd guage the audience and wing it and pray ! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by livewire View Post
    I do try not repeat tunes though, despite people offering beer, their girlfriend,
    to be their best friend for ever!!!
    I also don't repeat songs unless there's a VERY good reason, and "I was in the loo" only works if you are the Bride or Groom !

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    Especiay if they're having a leaving arch at the same time.
    ah now, leaving arch (maybe twice a year these days) calls for the Communards - Don't leave me this way "ooooOOOOOOOOOHHHH BABY !"

As the man said earlier, 'if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it !'
    Probably the best DJ in whole of the area between Rusper Road and Littlehaven Station in Horsham

WWW.PWES.CO.UK

I think it would work well, evenif it doesnt, make sure you have another qued up, then if it goes south, get on the mic, say something witty, then finish on your other track.