Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: For the wedding DJs....

Sometimes the first dance especially if it did not go as well as expected (ie not as many people joined in). Depends on crowd and event.

I think it makes the track more memorable for the couple and crowd as they are more relaxed and happy.

Or an alternative version eg: your song (moulin rougue & elton john)
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Or an alternative version eg: your song (moulin rougue & elton john)
    I would have thought that was a very BAD idea! If a particular version of a song has a special place in their hearts (which is entirely likely if they have chosen it as their first dance) then it is equally possible that they would hate a different version of it. (I know I hate it when another artist 'messes' with a song that I love!)

I'll occasionally play the first dance again, but only if I'm playing three or four slower songs at then end.

EDIT: I wasn't going to admit what I play last...almost always, for fear of being seen as a horrible, cheesy Ray Vonn type. I first played the song I'm about to admit to as irony. I'd had a horrible night, I think it was a birthday party off the top of my head, probably around 2000, 2001. The client had requested sixties rock and Prog rock all night...so I played loads of Bob Dylan, The Doors, Steppenwolf etc. I played one Rolling Stones track, and the client came over and told me it was crap! As you can imagine, though I was playing outstanding music to listen to, a crowd wanting to dance were sorely dissappointed.

Anyway, I was absolutely dying, and a mate of mine turned up around 2315. We used to work together quite a bit back then. I nipped off for a bit of air, but forgot to tell him about the rock/prog rock instruction. I came back in, and he was playing S Club 7....to a full dancefloor and no complaints!! After that, I played as much cheese as I could muster, before hitting them with their requested last song...."Jerusalem". This killed things again, so, perhaps unprofessionally I'll admit....I played one after it. "Copacabana". Sorry. The vast majority of guests got that I was having a bit of a dig at the instructions I'd been given (I would never make a "Sorry I'm having to play all this crap" announcement, but I certainly told people making requests that I wouldn't be able to play it and why), and filled the dancefloor.

I now play "Copacabana" last very frequently. Couple of slow songs, then Barry. Generally it goes down very well, with a sense of irony and self depreciation. It's certainly never bombed with people staring back at me with that "WTF?" look on their faces. It's become such a gag at one of my regular venues, the bar staff refer to the end of the evening as "Barry O'Clock". I even thought about having a digital countdown made that I could project on to a wall for NYE. Not for midnight you understand, but for Barry.

When judging me on this, and you will, please be kind. I only do it if I think the crowd will "get it". And my wife and children love me very much.
    Last edited by Solitaire Events Ltd; 09-08-2010 at 09:40 AM.

[QUOTE=BeerFunk;463687]You Got The Love?? Really? That's a strange last song, in my opinion

Yes, I have played that as last song also dancing in the moonlight,crazy by Gnarls Barkley.

Unless specifically requested by the bride & Groom, I don't really understand why anyone would finish on anything other than a slow song.

There's another thread where lots of people have said it's good to mix the music, as it helps things flow more smoothly...but in this thread, a number of people have said they end on a fast one, so one minute everyone is going mad on the dance floor, then the song finishes & that's suddenly the end of the disco. Not a very smooth way to finish off, if you ask me!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ford View Post
    I'll occasionally play the first dance again, but only if I'm playing three or four slower songs at then end.

EDIT: I wasn't going to admit what I play last...almost always, for fear of being seen as a horrible, cheesy Ray Vonn type. I first played the song I'm about to admit to as irony. I'd had a horrible night, I think it was a birthday party off the top of my head, probably around 2000, 2001. The client had requested sixties rock and Prog rock all night...so I played loads of Bob Dylan, The Doors, Steppenwolf etc. I played one Rolling Stones track, and the client came over and told me it was crap! As you can imagine, though I was playing outstanding music to listen to, a crowd wanting to dance were sorely dissappointed.

Anyway, I was absolutely dying, and a mate of mine turned up around 2315. We used to work together quite a bit back then. I nipped off for a bit of air, but forgot to tell him about the rock/prog rock instruction. I came back in, and he was playing S Club 7....to a full dancefloor and no complaints!! After that, I played as much cheese as I could muster, before hitting them with their requested last song...."Jerusalem". This killed things again, so, perhaps unprofessionally I'll admit....I played one after it. "Copacabana". Sorry. The vast majority of guests got that I was having a bit of a dig at the instructions I'd been given (I would never make a "Sorry I'm having to play all this crap" announcement, but I certainly told people making requests that I wouldn't be able to play it and why), and filled the dancefloor.

I now play "Copacabana" last very frequently. Couple of slow songs, then Barry. Generally it goes down very well, with a sense of irony and self depreciation. It's certainly never bombed with people staring back at me with that "WTF?" look on their faces. It's become such a gag at one of my regular venues, the bar staff refer to the end of the evening as "Barry O'Clock". I even thought about having a digital countdown made that I could project on to a wall for NYE. Not for midnight you understand, but for Barry.

When judging me on this, and you will, please be kind. I only do it if I think the crowd will "get it". And my wife and children love me very much.
    Nice post man lol, I've played tunes in the heat of the moment due to being a little peeved with the crowd before now e.g Living Doll - Cliff Richard and to my despair filled the dancefloor.

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    Unless specifically requested by the bride & Groom, I don't really understand why anyone would finish on anything other than a slow song.

There's another thread where lots of people have said it's good to mix the music, as it helps things flow more smoothly...but in this thread, a number of people have said they end on a fast one, so one minute everyone is going mad on the dance floor, then the song finishes & that's suddenly the end of the disco. Not a very smooth way to finish off, if you ask me!

There seem to be a lot of things you don't understand recently, Rob.... is the alzheimers progressing?

Ever heard of finishing on a high?

Yep, I nearly always finish with Never Forget at a Wedding, if there's enough guests left in attendance to make it special, unless otherwise advised by the client, it's a nice alternative to New York New York.

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    There seem to be a lot of things you don't understand recently, Rob
    And that's why I'm on the forum...so I can learn about the things I don't understand.

is the alzheimers progressing?
    To be honest, I think.....well, I seem to.....errr.....sorry.....what was the question again?

Ever heard of finishing on a high?
    Of course I have.

That's the same as asking "Ever heard of not finishing on a slow song & therefore increasing the changes of being hassled for one more"?

No thanks!

I've changed my mind about a number of things since joining the forum, but I think I can safely say this won't be one of them!

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    I've changed my mind about a number of things since joining the forum, but I think I can safely say this won't be one of them!
    Which is absolutely fine.... as I've said time and time again, it would be boring if we all did everything the same, but it's completely different to saying "I don't really understand why anyone would finish on anything other than a slow song".

Personally, I'd say it's horses for courses. Sometimes a slow song would be right for the end; another time an up-beat track would work better.