Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DB Technologies Sub15

Default DB Technologies Sub15

Hey guys

Speculatively only, just looking at subs. A Mackie 1501 will be out of my price range, although me likey muchy. Spotted this:

http://www.dbtechnologies.com/index....0&tx_amdbt_pi1[category]=4&tx_amdbt_pi1[product]=13&cHash=0461a8ff33

...to use with 2x Mackie SRM450 (Mk1).

OPINIONS PLEASE?

Great combination. Used it myself for a couple of years. I have two dBsubs for very big venues but 9 times out of 10 I just use the one.

Mine are for sale mid-September if interested I'll put your name on the list

I use 2 V1's with one of the subs in question and I'm really pleased with the sound i get mate.

We bought two Digital Db15's and sold them pretty quickly. The band pass design isn't ideal for disco and the lower frequencies achieved by the 15" woofers aren't up to much either. Talking to a few more retailers, it became clear that others share this view. I'm sure there are people on here who can explain the difference between band pass and direct radiating subs better than I.

Anyway, I doubt they will match your Mackies (which are very high /mid frequency signal orientated and need some serious low end reinforcement) - you'll need to back them off to around the 9 or 10 clock positon to get a decent sound because the stated 133 decibel output of the DB's is very hard to believe - 133 decibel is crushingly loud and these just aren't!.

Whilst the Mackie 1501's are better than the DB's by a country mile (but quote a much lower decibel output), I'd suggest you need at least 1x18 inch sub and preferably two to get the best from a pair of mackies. Disco needs that low end grunt, even if it isn't necessarily loud. If you're a solo entertainer or a karaoke host, then I reckon the punchy overly controlled output of the DB subs would be OK.

We just bought in another HK Audio XBA 18. Forget about the spec sheets, one XBA out performs two Db's easily. Whilst I wouldn't recommend buying HK Audio any longer because the whole company and distribution network has become a bit of a shambles, there are lots of cheaper and better 18inch direct radiating subs on the market (i.e. not band pass) that will trounce a pair of DB's.

Now, if you're in any doubt, we've run a 'taste' test with a few local DJ's (one of whom still has Db subs) and one or two punters. It's not scientific but it is a guide. We connected up two Db's and two RCF's, then two RCF's and two XBA 18's and then an old Lucas 2000 system. We used the same track (journey!) but allowed the mixer to be tweeked.

The results were that the DB's just didn't do it for anyone. Comments included 'happy shopper' and 'not in the room'. The RCF/XBA system was better with lots of bottom end and was quite liked though difficult to balance because of a bizarre crossover set up. Comments included 'more than you'll ever need' and 'still a bit toppy'. Oddly enough, whilst not the best in terms of sound output, the lucas 2000 system (single 18 inch sub) was favoured simply because of the quality of sound at all gain levels and frequencies.

Hope this helps you decide.

I think certain posts are about the new DB subs (digital) and the old DB subs which are nearly the same as the rcf 705 the latter was fitted with the same amp module 800w class d .
    I had quite a few in our hire stock and i agree with other posts that they were very good ,so you might be better of looking for the old model.

Quote Originally Posted by TONYTIGER View Post
    I think certain posts are about the new DB subs (digital) and the old DB subs which are nearly the same as the rcf 705 the latter was fitted with the same amp module 800w class d .

Good point, to avoid confusion, I'm referring to the digital Db Sub 15D.

Quote Originally Posted by TONYTIGER View Post
    I had quite a few in our hire stock and i agree with other posts that they were very good ,so you might be better of looking for the old model.
    Indeed, I'm refering to the non-digital 127db SPL version.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wild View Post
    Indeed, I'm refering to the non-digital 127db SPL version.
    Ditto

I own 2 of the new Sub15d (digital) and cant fault them, plenty of power. I use them with 2 Mackie SRM450 mk2's
    Northamptonshires Premier Video Disco • Northamptonshire based PAT Testing
    -----
    Pioneer DJM 2000, Apple MacBook Pro 17", 2 x Pioneer CDJ 1000 Mk III, 2 x Technics SL1210, Virtual DJ

Like you, I have been swithering for ages on which sub to buy. I also own 2 x Mackie SRM450v1 which I have never had any issues with other than lacking in bass for larger functions. I narrowed my choices down to the following:

Mackie SRM1801 - Mackie state this is the matching sub to go with the SRM450s however, it is just a re-badged version of the thump sub. There is 1 review on the web of it which basically says avoid.

QSC K Sub - QSC make great gear which lasts forever and this sub on wheels looked perfect. I just didn't see how a 12" driver could produce decent low end frequencies.

RCF 705 AS - A lot of people on here rave about these, I have never heard it in action but have heard many an RCF system in action and I have usually been pretty impressed. It was in the lead until..

DB Technologies SUB15 D - Again, a lot of forum members have these and swear by them. A certain german retailer is selling the RCF sub for the same price as this which made the decision even more difficult. In the end, I have opted for this as I plan to get a pair of the Opera Active speakers to replace my Mackies at some point. I also got a stupidly good price on it through a friend who runs a high end PA hire company. They rent out stuff like Funktion One to festivals so I trust his advice on the subject. I am still waiting on it to arrive but can let you know my thoughts, I have no doubt it will be spot on though.