Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Website Review please

Quote Originally Posted by DJWilson View Post
    You said safety was a long way down his list when he never even mentioned safety. All he mentioned was PLI, PAT, Produb etc
    I think you need to go and read up about portable appliance testing and safety of equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by DJWilson View Post
    You said safety was a long way down his list when he never even mentioned safety. All he mentioned was PLI, PAT, Produb etc
    Errr, I'd guess Darren will point out that anyone without the necesary insurances etc, is unlikely to have thought seriously about client safety.

Unless they're following the teachings of Nigel .
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Darren

I've not had chance to dig deeper than the index page.

Visually it's better than many, but I tend to agree with the 'dated' comments earlier on. In particular the narrow width, colour palette and the rollover effects on the menu pull it down.

I presume you've not considered the various 'heatmap' studies - because if you had, you would have laid out the top half of the page better and made your contact details very prominent indeed.

IMHO get rid of the "Subscribe to this site" box - no-one but your mum and a couple of mates are ever going to do this. Where it's positioned is prime screen real estate. If you must have it, drop it much further down the page or onto the Contact page.

There is way too much content on the page - as a prospective customer I'd probably not get any further than the first para. Try to keep the scrolling to a minimum - ideally no more than 2 'pages' deep on a typical browser BUT keep everything you want every single visitor to definitely have a chance of seeing within the top half of page 1.

I understand your intention in respect of keywords but don't make the opening paragraph so tediously boring!! Lists don't make good reading.

I agree with what's been said about false promises.

I agree with what's been said about negative advertising. Don't bang on about what's bad about others, bang on about what's good about Big Mix.

Technically, there's a lot I don't like about the way that the site is constructed, but I guess to some degree you're constrained by the 'Site Build It' package - although I've never come across this one.

Examples include use of tables when there's absolutely no need to; CSS embedded in the actual HTML pages - meaning lots of repetition and keyword dilution through unnecessary content being pulled each time; comment lines in production code (again adding to bloat).

I ran the index page through the W3C validator and it errors spectacularly. This won't help cross-browser compatibility or futureproofing of the site code.

That's just the 5 minute version. Hope this helps

The first line about 'setting your party alight' made me think more of flames and screaming.

It reminded me why PAT and PLI is so important.
    Last edited by paulg; 13-08-2010 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paulg View Post
    The first line about 'setting your party alight' made me think more of flames and screaming.

It reminded me why PAT and PLI is so important.
    It's a similie no need to take it literally

Quote Originally Posted by livewire View Post
    Maybe not but if you had a choice of somebody who has PLI and someone who doesn't I know who I would choose!!

Should have explained myself better sorry I meant, he could use that as a selling point and say people have PLI because etc etc;

So when was the last time someone phoned up and said --of course I expect you to have PLI.

Dream on

Also a lot of punters dont give a im afraid and go for the cheapest.

A sad relection of our society---luckily a few out there still care

For myself I think there is way to much text going on there and on my screen its pretty narrow too which doesn't help.

On my site you shouldn't have to scroll down at all.

There's a saying KISS (Keep it simple stupid) I think its very relevant to websites.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Thank you all for your opinions, I perhaps should have stated that I to feel the width of the page is to short, this is being developed as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mix Mobile Disco View Post
    Hi guys & gals,

Its been almost 6 months since the start of my website venture and I'm looking for some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism please ...

Other than my clients I thought it would be good to ask other DJs what they thought ... but try and be professional in your comments ... no bad mouthing please

We are all trying to give DJs a better name and I'm trying to be as professional and "above-board" as I can be. Your thoughts are welcome.

My website address is in my signature strip

Thanks Darren
    I agree with others, I would drop the catchy music starts etc in practice a lot of people sit at their tables unable to move---its called apathy and is found in many people attending Weddings as I found last week--unfortunately the music DOESNT do the talking.

Its the DJ who has to do the talking

Enough of that.

I dont find the style out dated--probably cos im outdated myself.

Might matter to younger readers

My only point would be the Music choice and I would highlight the client can choose their own playlist ( presumably) which is a postive feature ( waits for barrage of complaints)

As for Dance the Night Away being top of the Dance Floor faves--in my case as a Country DJ perfectly true---but for younger audiences I would have thought it might be some excruciatingly horrible Rn B track---arent they all to my ears--but maybe this indicates an older age group target market.

Theres no doubt you can influence or put people off according to THEIR perception of the kind of music you play and this a KEY factor in getting new business.

Obviously you need to clearly identify markets you wish to work in--probably its difficult if you cover everything.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    I agree with others, I would drop the catchy music starts etc in practice a lot of people sit at their tables unable to move---its called apathy and is found in many people attending Weddings as I found last week--unfortunately the music DOESNT do the talking.

Its the DJ who has to do the talking

Enough of that.

I dont find the style out dated--probably cos im outdated myself.

Might matter to younger readers

My only point would be the Music choice and I would highlight the client can choose their own playlist ( presumably) which is a postive feature ( waits for barrage of complaints)

As for Dance the Night Away being top of the Dance Floor faves--in my case as a Country DJ perfectly true---but for younger audiences I would have thought it might be some excruciatingly horrible Rn B track---arent they all to my ears--but maybe this indicates an older age group target market.

Theres no doubt you can influence or put people off according to THEIR perception of the kind of music you play and this a KEY factor in getting new business.

Obviously you need to clearly identify markets you wish to work in--probably its difficult if you cover everything.
    Thank you for your comments - the music lists are in no particular order this is stated on the page lol