I invested in a complete VJ setup 3 years ago. I also bought a lot of musicvideos which is ureasonably expensive by the way...

At the time I did this most out of curiosity and thought that this would make a huge difference in my mobile shows.

Very few clients was interested paying more for this extra setup and I ended up throwing it in for free in gigs where it was suitable and I had the time to set up screeens...

After using my VJ setup for about 2 years I came to this prelimenary conclution:

- The effect of VJ is mostly in the beginning of the evening when people are not dancing. Music is whats driving the dancefloor at prime time and VJing has a secondary effect - more like a fancy lighting setup (which I also use by the way )

- It can be distracting - like watcing TV instead of talking with your peers...

- It's to expensive and its hard to get clients to pay according to the fact that you are likely to more than double your investments and running costs compared to running a normal DJ business.

But this might be different in UK where it seems like you have a more matured mobile DJ market with stronger competition and a larger total market. Then I guess VJ can be a distinct differentiator if you are heading for the upmarket gigs...

DJ Safe N' Sound
(Mobile DJ in Norway)