Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we need to educate the bride and grooms'?

Default Do we need to educate the bride and grooms'?

Many of my wedding clients are specifying very detailed music requirements which is absolutely fine because they are paying, but I do feel they are very much forgetting there guests.

For example I was asked not to play any 70s music by a bride to be recently, which I'm happy to go along with, although I do feel that some of the guests might like it. We are responsible for a filled dance floor, can we let our clients be too strict on music selections???

I wanted to know what you all thought ...

I agree that as DJs we are responsible for a filled dance floor but
    THE CUSTOMER IS ALLWAYS RIGHT
    Its their day! I might not like or enjoy what they want
    but theyre paying....just my own opinions

Dave
    DAVESOUNDS DISCO PUBLIC ADDRESS & PAT TESTING SERVICES BASED IN WAKEFIELD

"It didnt do that the last time i plugged it in!"

http://www.davesounds.co.uk/

He who pays the piper calls the tune

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mix Mobile Disco View Post

For example I was asked not to play any 70s music by a bride to be recently,

Its not in the name of Pridders....is it?????

It takes all types , so if the B&G want something , shall we say , not off the shelf , then it is their choice , however with a large play list , I feel that we are treated like a human jukebox.
    But as Martin says , he who pays the piper etc etc.

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

I have occasionaly come across this situation where i have been given a large playlist of songs from the B&G.most of them are playable but sometimes you get album tracks that were never in the charts.

I do feel that when doing weddings its important to start of with what they have asked for as this is the most important part of the night for them.Then after that play a few good floorfillers to mix in with there playlist.

If they just want "all of there songs played",you are better to make an announcement and tell everyone that the music has been selected by the bride and groom.

I did a wedding a few years ago with the clients making up a playlist for the whole night. They assured me their guests would be well up for it. The tracks went from led zeppelin to Allanah Myles. Most had a rocky theme and to be honest there were only about ten I would have played. if I played them all I would have been there about fifteen hours! I tried to suggest a few core tracks, but.... what the customer wants.
    Anyway, on the night we did the first dances and an upbeat one to follow, then tried drop in a few of the 'not so good' tracks to keep the clients happy. After an hour of hell.. and no dancers I dropped in one of my own choices. The floor filled instantly! .... the groom came up and complained, after trying to reason I went back to his list. The night was a flop.
    I now only accept up to twenty tracks, unless it is a themed night. From the outset the clients are made aware of the perils of a rigid playlist and so far I have had no complaints.

I say this in my pre gig contact with the client at the time of taking the booking. Either on the phone or via e-mail.
    We play the music that you and your guests want to dance to. We invite our clients to let us know what music they would like at their function. Some like to leave it entirely up to us. Some like to put together a list of 'must play favorites'. We would then use that list on the night, expanding around it where necessary with tunes that we know will fill the dance floor while fitting in requests as we go.
    I find that covers most bases. - feel free to use it if you like.

" It's our special day, and we know our guests will appreciate the music which means a lot to us! "
    Yeah right.

Play the songs, take the money, and regularly make it clear that the music has been specially chosen by the happy couple, and that deviation from their playlist will result in your untimely death.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mix Mobile Disco View Post
    Many of my wedding clients are specifying very detailed music requirements which is absolutely fine because they are paying, but I do feel they are very much forgetting there guests.

For example I was asked not to play any 70s music by a bride to be recently, which I'm happy to go along with, although I do feel that some of the guests might like it. We are responsible for a filled dance floor, can we let our clients be too strict on music selections???

I wanted to know what you all thought ...
    It is our job to offer advice, give our opinions & make suggestions when confronted by a client who has some rather strange ideas about the music for their function.

If they don't take our advice, there are two real options, either take the money & do what they want, or turn down the gig.

I haven't had many problems with people making dubious requests concerning the music policy, although a couple of months ago a bride wanted all 60s music for the first hour, all 70s for the second hour, all 80s for the third hour etc. Fortunately she accepted my pearls of wisdom & quickly dropped the idea.