Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we need to educate the bride and grooms'?

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    ...........although a couple of months ago a bride wanted all 60s music for the first hour, all 70s for the second hour, all 80s for the third hour etc. Fortunately she accepted my pearls of wisdom & quickly dropped the idea.
    Why? If done right, that could work very well.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    I Agree

If they don't take our advice, there are two real options, either take the money & do what they want, or turn down the gig.
    Take the gig after offering your suggestion and:

play the set playlist but make sure you tell everyone that it is a set playlist from them before starting so then you do not look like a fool all night banging out house music while everyone is sitting down staring at you

I have one next year. One half slasa music and one half house.
    i have said to them i will supply a selection of 30-40 killer party tracks that are not so cheesy and they can pick what they like. If it bombs then i will use them. They have agreed as long as i give it a go.

I have booked a spanish salsa teacher (half wedding south american) to do 15 min salsa lessons twice an hour and house the rest. Should work but at least i have permission to play other stuff too only if required.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I agree on that. i think if the crowd are told as well they accept it and find it fun
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Yes I also agree. I have done it myself several times. Use the mic so everyone knows what you are doing and it works a treat!

Quote Originally Posted by Vectis View Post
    He who pays the piper calls the tune
    Not when you get the playlist I have here for a Wedding in early September.

Its made up of requests from the guests--which I told the B and G wasnt a great idea as its THEIR night-- I will running it past the resident expert on these matters when I share a gig with him on Wednesday--

There are tracks I dont know so need to tread carefully--i think some of them may be completely obscure to the majority of Wedding guests so what is the point of playing them for 1 or 2 people who may not even dance?

Its the clients call finally but I will certainly give the B and G my advice to answer the OP.

Its not so bad if you have a group at the event of say 10 people who are into the particular genre--did one for a Wedding where they requested Red Hot Chillis music and a session of 15 minutes was perfect and they all joined in.

After that back to Kylie to fill the floor!

Wedding tonight has a list of my most favourite music R n B style--

However its very noticeable that most of the MUST plays are Michael Jackson, Grease, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Cher, Jai Ho and Mr Brightside

Interestingly they have asked without prompting for second last dance New York New York and last dance Mr Brightside--nice beat mix there

Yes I believe you need to advise people sometimes, I have another Wedding list where EVERY track is a guaranteed floorfiller and they are dedicated to certain guests which is perfect.

although a couple of months ago a bride wanted all 60s music for the first hour, all 70s for the second hour, all 80s for the third hour etc. Fortunately she accepted my pearls of wisdom & quickly dropped the idea.
    Are you serious, Steve?

If so, how many times have you done that at weddings?

Presumably it's something you do a lot if it works very well?

Im awaiting a playlist that im dreading.
    I have recommended to the customer that there is normally a wide age range at this should be taken into account for a good night.
    The problem we have is if we stick to what the customer wants, dont we then risk damaging our own image and name by not having full dance floors?
    If i tend to have a bad playlist and have people coming up asking for stuff the B&G dont want then i tell them that it is at the B&G request that so and so shouldnt be played. Also if its ONLY the playlist they want played and nothing else then i would announce that the music is to the B&G choice.

I always ask if the Clients are to supply a playlist with their choices would they dance to the songs they have chosen.

I do accept play lists but if I have to play a song that I know that doesn’t fit or work announce that it is request from the Bride and Grooms request list.

At the end of the day its you clients day / evening and they call the shots musically IMO, I play what they want I do offer my advice at the music planning consultation before the event.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Take the gig after offering your suggestion and:

play the set playlist but make sure you tell everyone that it is a set playlist from them before starting so then you do not look like a fool all night banging out house music while everyone is sitting down staring at you
    I have one next year. One half slasa music and one half house.
    i have said to them i will supply a selection of 30-40 killer party tracks that are not so cheesy and they can pick what they like. If it bombs then i will use them. They have agreed as long as i give it a go.

I have booked a spanish salsa teacher (half wedding south american) to do 15 min salsa lessons twice an hour and house the rest. Should work but at least i have permission to play other stuff too only if required.

in this situation i also let people see me keep looking at a sheet of paper so that people can see that i am following a playlist.