Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Do we need to educate the bride and grooms'?

Quote Originally Posted by paulg View Post
    What's worse? a night of cheese or a night of leonard cohen........it's a close call for me!
    Who's suggested either?

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    Who's suggested either?

Supplying Premier DJ's for Weddings,
    Birthdays & Social Events.

www.basingstokediscos.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by paulg View Post
    This thread has gone on a bit but, for what it's worth, if a customer asks us for a rigid set playlist, clearly, the don't want or need a DJ so we just hire out kit. More often than not it's people who don't dance and just want to listen that go for it.

In terms of income, talk about killing two birds with one stone! I wish more people asked for it.
    I must learn multi answers--im afraid this is wrong.

One of my most successful Weddings was where the B and G knew EXACTLY the music their guests would dance to---why--because they all went to Uni together, went to the same functions and enjoyed the same music.

It happened again last night to me--look away now--most popular tracks were
    Macarena, Oops Gap Band and errrr unbelievably Tiger feet

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    I must learn multi answers--im afraid this is wrong.

One of my most successful Weddings was where the B and G knew EXACTLY the music their guests would dance to---why--because they all went to Uni together, went to the same functions and enjoyed the same music.

It happened again last night to me--look away now--most popular tracks were
    Macarena, Oops Gap Band and errrr unbelievably Tiger feet
    Agreed, often happens, however last week as I posted, I had a cracking night playing songs from a playlist that I hadn't received! So you never can tell!

Covering, West Midlands, Cotswolds, South & Mid Wales. Have van, will travel!
    National Association of DJs

What about the Double-Edged Sword???

Some of the best tracks I use have been as a result of requests from the clients......I probably would never have dreamed of playing them otherwise!!!

If they are poor and bomb and someone complains...you can point to the geezer who requested it and say......"It was him....."

If they're great (i.e Mr Brightside) pocket them and use them at another date

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    Who's suggested either?
    well i've seen a few playlists on here to quantify the cheese

I think that after all is said and done, YOU, THE DJ, is there to provide a service. That service is to play the music that cater to the guests of honour (B+G) first and foremost, and that it is the B+G responsibility to market their wedding accordingly if they have any specific or niche musical preferences.

I did a gig last April where the B+G wanted mostly heavy metal, industrial techno and Indie. obviosly a break from the norm. BUT they marketed it perfectly by making it clear to thier guests that is is a heavy metal wedding reception (by way of stating this on thier invites so thier guests knew what the music would be like). The night was one of the best I had this year partly due to the fact that thier guests were expecting that sort of music and it was of no suprise to them in any way.

On the flip side I did a gig a fortnight ago to a couple who wanted "only 2000's pop music and no cheese, no 70' 80's 90s etc etc JUST 2000's. Only this time the B+G did nothing to make their gusts aware of their niche requirements and for the first hour and a half I got stick from the guests not playing the obvious "footloose", "abba" etc etc untill I consulted the B+G about this and in thier drunken gloy just said "yeah whatever mate play whatever they want". This did annoy me because the general consensus for the first hour and a half was that the wedding DJ (me) was rubbish when I was doing my job in catering to the customers.

Form that point I always encourage potential customers to MARKET thier wedding if its anything specific otherwise thier guests will assume the lowest common denominator cheesy pop stuff and then wonder why the DJ is playing "wierd" or "rubbish" stuff.

I must admit i have never come across this situation, so am not sure how I would react.

I would certainly slip in a couple of songs stating that "this song has been requested", naughty but if you get it right and the atmosphere rises, i would expect the B&G to be happy!

Whilst it may be the b&G night, they are probably not DJ's, I think we should also remember that it is our reputation at stake, if you have a bad night because you backed down to their demands, then word will spread about YOU!

I suggest you start by giving them what they want at the start if it works so be it, if not either have a word and say just give me 20 mins to do my stuff and then make sure you have sussed out the crowd or go ahead and do it if you think they won't accomodate your wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I must admit i have never come across this situation, so am not sure how I would react.

I would certainly slip in a couple of songs stating that "this song has been requested", naughty but if you get it right and the atmosphere rises, i would expect the B&G to be happy!

Whilst it may be the b&G night, they are probably not DJ's, I think we should also remember that it is our reputation at stake, if you have a bad night because you backed down to their demands, then word will spread about YOU!

I suggest you start by giving them what they want at the start if it works so be it, if not either have a word and say just give me 20 mins to do my stuff and then make sure you have sussed out the crowd or go ahead and do it if you think they won't accomodate your wishes.
    The Bride is not a DJ BUT knows what she likes--so as the Bride on Wednesday said--its MY Wedding so im having some of what I like--completely agree even if the Bride is the ONLY person dancing I dont care--she who pays the piper etc.

That would be the first rule of how to alienate a Bride==dont play her requests to start with

I dont understand your comment about reputation--your suggesting you put your reputation of having a full dance floor AHEAD of the paying B+Gs requested music--what happened to customer care?

When the bride realises no one likes her music common sense will kick in and the Macarena will be played

Well, as per my first thread ....

Finally got the wedding done .... I was dredding it due to the strict restrictions on music. What can I say ... after 3 hours they finally agreed I could play some 70s music etc ...

The dance-floor filled instantly!

All I can say is ... leave it to the pro's!