Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smaller Speaker Options ... ?

Default Smaller Speaker Options ... ?

Thinking about getting some smaller speakers but still want to maintain quality.

I've been doing gigs where my current speakers are really too much. Small venues with a 3 x 3m dancefloor and generally older styles of music rather than RnB and Dance.

I have used 2 x W-Audio PSR15a recently and they just seem too darn loud for these venues and at 30kg they are heavyweight brutes ...

Do you think I could get away with RCF 10" Actives for example, would I lose lots of bass or would they tonally sound ok for all types of music. I do find the W-Audios a bit boomy especially off axis.

I already also have a pair of SRM450s and an RCF 705 sub which would be used for bigger gigs and perhaps a second sub if really needed.

Whadda you think ?

I use my RCF ART310A's on their own for quite a few small gigs. I honestly don't find them lacking at all in the right situation.

For parties in smaller venues (especially with sound limitors), 50'ish people or so they're great (even for charty R'n'B and Dance). And for easy listening, jazzy sort of stuff they would easily cover larger venues (this I know from experience).

Surprising good bass from them (especially if you position them near rear walls), they go loud without sounding like they're going to rattle apart - I've never had them showing the red clip light on the back, even at high volume, excellent mids and highs. Lightweight and reliable.

As you can tell, I'm a fan!

I've also been wondering if any of the newer 10" models from RCF and QSC are a substantial improvement on them - planning to do a side by side test soon.

Hiya
    Ive a few pairs of 10 inch speakers that live in various venues across South Yorkshire and i must say they are ok for basic disco / quiz use
    These sound massive with 350 watt Eminence drivers and Fane Bullets

These are amazing! CO Axial Eminence Drivers and Eminence Horns
    there only 12 inch high/wide and sound LOUD

I Quiz Through these twice a week
    were home made Fanes till a Roadie bounced one
    as i needed a Repair quickly and Eminence were difficult to do business with i
    ordered a crappy pair of Skytec Cast 200 watt Rms drivers expecting em to be rubbish! Apart from not being super efficient theyre pretty good!

Ive a couple of pairs of 8 inch cabs too by JBL and Carlsbro that are good too
    allthough none are any use for megaloud disco
    i simply take whatevers best for the job in hand
    get some 10s and give yr back a rest

cheers
    DAVESOUNDS DISCO PUBLIC ADDRESS & PAT TESTING SERVICES BASED IN WAKEFIELD

"It didnt do that the last time i plugged it in!"

http://www.davesounds.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    RCF ART310A's
    - I have the 10 inchers and they are very loud
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I worked with a toastmaster on Saturday who was using the newer 710s and an A&H mixer and there is no way that I'd ever use 10" cabs for anything other than background music. This is based on what I heard on Saturday.

I've read that the 7 series tend to be a bit light on the bass as opposed to the 3 series. Not sure whether you really need to wind them up to get the best but I know I don't need 129db.

I haven't read any reports of the new 4 series or whether indeed this is meant to be the replacement for the 3 series but I think it would be the 3 or 4 series that I would be looking at. 127db is plenty and I will add a sub if not.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    I worked with a toastmaster on Saturday who was using the newer 710s and an A&H mixer and there is no way that I'd ever use 10" cabs for anything other than background music. This is based on what I heard on Saturday.
    Does size matter i quite often use 8" speakers for up to 200 people.And currently use 10" for larger gigs. P8 & P10 from Nexo.

Quote Originally Posted by TONYTIGER View Post
    Does size matter i quite often use 8" speakers for up to 200 people.And currently use 10" for larger gigs. P8 & P10 from Nexo.
    I only use 8" tops as well, although there is a 15" Sub rumbling away behind the S+H that helps fill the sound out...
    Exit stage left...

Quote Originally Posted by TONYTIGER View Post
    Impressive, is that for music or speech? with or without subs?

I've always been intrigued by the very high end speaker ranges, would like to demo some side by side with my RCF's to hear the difference (though I'm worried I'd be impressed enough to end up spending a fortune!).

Im sure that Adam (F) will correct me if im wrong here but he has/has used the Cerwin Vega CVA 28's before --> http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR251052 without a problem...although the did recomment the CVA sub too...
    http://www.dynamic-entertainment.co.uk

Tel:0800 990 3030

The opinions here are those of an individual and not necessarily those of Dynamic Entertainment.