Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need scanner suggestions and feedback (please read)

Default I need scanner suggestions and feedback (please read)

Hi everyone,

I m buying lights for the first time to add on my mobile disco show and i could really use your suggestions here.

I demo-ed a few lights last week (Revo 4, Comscan, etc) but i wasnt really thrilled. Ok the comscan was the best from all those, but i dont know how it would perform outdoors at night (i.e summer weddings).

My budget is about 1200 euros and i think i m going down the simple
    4-scanner route (either on a 3m truss or two T-bars) along with a fog machine and some LED PAR64's (spread around) for uplighting.

After researching gear for a month i m down to 3 choices.

Either get 4 cheaper scanners like the Acme Dynamo 250's (all DMXed) or 4 Comscans

or 2 pro scanners (instead of four cheaper ones) like the Stairville SC250 pro (MSD 250watt). This is the Irock 7 model btw, with a different label on it.

there is also a third choice : Four Imove5's (also branded as Stairville mv250) with a 250 halogen. Very popular mover.

Pros and cons of all :

DYNAMOS : Cheap, lightweight, "does the job" and for about 800euros i can get four of them, with a DMX, cables and 2 flightcases. No need to buy a pricy heavy duty truss or stands to put em on. A cheaper truss will do.

Cons: Brightness outdoors at night (??)

Irock 7's (MSD250)

Very bright, pro scanner, loads of features, you can use it in any event (party, corporate or wedding and not feel "ashamed" for its performance.

Cons : pricy, heavy (13kg), needs a good 200quid truss to sit 4 units, bulky flightcases (if u have limited car space) and also pricy lamps.

Imove 5's

Looks bright (for a 250ELC), gives an eye catching light show when programmed right, not bad priced for a head (1300 euros for four of them and a DMX Master I), you can put em them in arriba cases (30euros each) instead of heavy flightcases. Impresses the clients since its a mover.

Cons : Heavy, they need a proper 200 quid truss to be mounted on, difficult to move around.

So what do u all think? Which of the above would suit my needs better?

I have no prior experience with lights or DMX's. My events are mostly weddings (outdoor in the summer but taking place over 10pm at night so its dark (not totally dark, with ambient light around)) and parties.

All suggestions are welcome

cheers

*Text talk not permitted on the forum. Thanks.
    Last edited by Shaun; 02-09-2010 at 11:00 AM.

Very popular at the moment are the big Martin units. EFX 500. A lot of folk are running a couple of those with a few par cans for a very nice effect. I think two of those might just be in your price bracket.

Sorry if I've thrown another option to ponder over.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I recently bought iRock 7b's (the barrel version) from a member here on the forum. Really bright output and replacable rotating gobos. Out of effects you've mentioned I'd say the iRock 7's are the best option. I have 4 of the iMove 5s too, but rarely use them.

Right then...first of all i would discount the Imove moving heads....The reason, well moving heads are sluggish and slow moving by design...sorry the PR word is "fluid", anyway, you cant get fast movement with them, where as a scanner with a decent control desk can be slowed down to suit, BUT can also have the faster rapid movements which moving heads cannot achieve.

Obviously the iRock is brighter than the Dynamo...and a step up on the budget scale, but dont discount the Dynamo based on a 250w halogen lamp, they are still very bright.

Also, whilst i dont know what the iRock internal master/slave programming is like, the Dynamos is a bit manic, so if you go down the route of the Dynamo you will benifit from a DMX lighting desk (and the handheld CA8 controller deally doesnt cut the mustard with them).
    http://www.dynamic-entertainment.co.uk

Tel:0800 990 3030

The opinions here are those of an individual and not necessarily those of Dynamic Entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic Entertainment View Post

Also, whilst i dont know what the iRock internal master/slave programming is like, the Dynamos is a bit manic
    It aint bad if you turn down the sensitivity dial on the first fixture. Turn it down low and you can get some nice slow sweeping panning effects. It's proved to be effective considering I haven't had time to program some DMX scenes for them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ADJ View Post
    Hi everyone,

I m buying lights for the first time to add on my mobile disco show and i could really use your suggestions here.

I demo-ed a few lights last week (Revo 4, Comscan, etc) but i wasnt really thrilled. Ok the comscan was the best from all those, but i dont know how it would perform outdoors at night (i.e summer weddings).

My budget is about 1200 euros and i think i m going down the simple
    4-scanner route (either on a 3m truss or two T-bars) along with a fog machine and some LED PAR64's (spread around) for uplighting.

After researching gear for a month i m down to 3 choices.

Either get 4 cheaper scanners like the Acme Dynamo 250's (all DMXed) or 4 Comscans

or 2 pro scanners (instead of four cheaper ones) like the Stairville SC250 pro (MSD 250watt). This is the Irock 7 model btw, with a different label on it.

there is also a third choice : Four Imove5's (also branded as Stairville mv250) with a 250 halogen. Very popular mover.

Pros and cons of all :

DYNAMOS : Cheap, lightweight, "does the job" and for about 800euros i can get four of them, with a DMX, cables and 2 flightcases. No need to buy a pricy heavy duty truss or stands to put em on. A cheaper truss will do.

Cons: Brightness outdoors at night (??)

Irock 7's (MSD250)

Very bright, pro scanner, loads of features, you can use it in any event (party, corporate or wedding and not feel "ashamed" for its performance.

Cons : pricy, heavy (13kg), needs a good 200quid truss to sit 4 units, bulky flightcases (if u have limited car space) and also pricy lamps.

Imove 5's

Looks bright (for a 250ELC), gives an eye catching light show when programmed right, not bad priced for a head (1300 euros for four of them and a DMX Master I), you can put em them in arriba cases (30euros each) instead of heavy flightcases. Impresses the clients since its a mover.

Cons : Heavy, they need a proper 200 quid truss to be mounted on, difficult to move around.

So what do u all think? Which of the above would suit my needs better?

I have no prior experience with lights or DMX's. My events are mostly weddings (outdoor in the summer but taking place over 10pm at night so its dark (not totally dark, with ambient light around)) and parties.

All suggestions are welcome

cheers

*Text talk not permitted on the forum. Thanks.
    If you main requirement is brightness for outdoor events ,forget the Dynamo,Comscan,and the Martin EFX all good units but not that bright for outdoor events.
    You need to think firstly on the light source and there is not much choice lamps that will do the job are MSD 250 or 575, HTI 150 or the new generation of powerful single led source.
    As you say the stairville is bright but is a bit large ,have a look at the futurelight range do some nice scanners.

If i had £ 1000 to spend i would buy two Vizi Led spot movers,very very bright light weight very smooth and quiet in operation,and has so many features ,use as spot for first dances 3 & 5 way prism so covers large areas 3D prism UV rotating and shaking gobos which are interchangeable.

There are some pictures in the gallery ,gets my vote as the best effect for 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by TONYTIGER View Post
    If you main requirement is brightness for outdoor events ,forget the Dynamo,Comscan,and the Martin EFX all good units but not that bright for outdoor events.
    You need to think firstly on the light source and there is not much choice lamps that will do the job are MSD 250 or 575, HTI 150 or the new generation of powerful single led source.
    As you say the stairville is bright but is a bit large ,have a look at the futurelight range do some nice scanners.

If i had £ 1000 to spend i would buy two Vizi Led spot movers,very very bright light weight very smooth and quiet in operation,and has so many features ,use as spot for first dances 3 & 5 way prism so covers large areas 3D prism UV rotating and shaking gobos which are interchangeable.

There are some pictures in the gallery ,gets my vote as the best effect for 2010.
    Do you want that amount of scanners?

I know you say outside but if your working in England then the weather is going to restrict that.

Just wondering as even my old 100 watt Dynatwins are pretty bright and quite frankly I think you will find a lot of people on here have gone away from them because they are so blinding, especially if rigged on top of a stand.

I now use mine on the floor so it isnt so blinding and theres no issues on the stands with the weight.

Just a personal view possibly not shared by others---have you considered lasers--I think they are more interesting.
    Last edited by CRAZY K; 02-09-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Very popular at the moment are the big Martin units. EFX 500. A lot of folk are running a couple of those with a few par cans for a very nice effect.
    A powerfull effect is probably best in light conditions such as the EFX. Definitely par cans for dance events or a wash light I would say

i do think moving head look impressive but are heavy. i had a couple and did not like them.

You say lasers and they are very good for the price and travel for ever (well almost) so will fork well as an effect on a wall. i have a sigma and for £180 its very efficient cluster.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Another 'spanner in the works' but have you considered 4 of these
    http://www.soundmastersdirect.co.uk/...e-and-13-gobos ?
    250 watt, seperate colour & gobo wheels and DMX controllable.(Pan, Tilt, Gobo, Colour and stobe.)

I have a set and after ten years, apart from the occasional bulb replacement,
    they're still going strong & bright.
    IMHO one of the higher quality items from the brand
    The Keyboard is mightier than the Sword ?
    Occasions Of Excellence For One & All In Cornwall

add one to what Shaun has said.

I got two Irock 5b's and love em great light.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk