Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The like of which . . . the world has never seen the like of which!!

Default The like of which . . . the world has never seen the like of which!!

Hi Guys,

Ok I am new to this forum and as such I thaught I will make a contribution to it by creating a thread myself so here it goes . .

I have been DJin for just over three years. Most of that has been mixing in small bars and hotels, the music generally being non cheesy, but popular party classics (Motown, hiphop, some definative house, indie, top ten etc etc)

The important thing was to 'beat mix' the music together so there were none or as little silences between tracks a possible. When I got into mobile DJing by way of borrowing or hireing speakers and lights from other DJs and shops, I carried the same skills over for many a lively and vibrant gig!

This inspired me to quit the ratrace after I was made redundant and go self employed. Offering something different to the world of mobile DJing.

Hence my company SP Entertainment. The marketing of which focuses exclusivley on the art of mixing and how it is beneficial to any party or event where a DJ is required. No other disco I have seen or heard of does this (with as much conviction anyway).

So what is your opinion on this? I would like to know what everyone else in the world of mobile discos thinks. Any input will be beneficial

May thanks

I think you're going to need to focus on where your service is going to be provided, cos mixing is not a big selling point to a lot of people.

A few of us beatmix at our events, but just as many other's don't. It's not a vital skill for the mobile market but I believe it's a good 'tool' to have at your disposal. There's a time and a place for it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    A few of us beatmix at our events, but just as many other's don't. It's not a vital skill for the mobile market but I believe it's a good 'tool' to have at your disposal. There's a time and a place for it though.
    Agreed.

I think you've a really good website - the only aspect I'm not so keen on is the various negative statements about other DJ's, 'can't mix, silence between songs, cheesy banter' etc. (I'm sure quite a few wedding and mobile DJ's on here will take issue with your blanket appraisel of their skills). If you have confidence in your product you don't need to use any negative statements.

Had a quick listen to a couple of the example mixes (indie and 70's disco) and to be totally honest, with all the build up, I was expecting much more creativity - I think you could add more to these to show off your skills and make them a bit more unique.

As you are making a point about mixing and how important it is, the 80s soul mix is not great to be honest. Out of time in place and chops that aren't timed very well.

If you are going to be selling yourself purely on mixing, then I think more practise is in order. Sorry.

I'm not a million miles from you and (although I've only been up and running here for 4 years) I've been a mobile DJ for 26 years, predominantly Weddings followed by Kids & Teens and then general private party stuff, corporate etc. with a (chosen) run rate of about 100 gigs a year.

In all that time I can probably count on one hand the number of enquirers who've asked about mixing skills, or indeed been disappointed that I didn't offer much more than calculated crossfading.

If you've found a niche then well done to you, but if you want to expand into this market area then, as has been suggested, perhaps think a little more about your advertising priorities. Sure, it's a string to the bow, but other things matter much, much more to your average bride & groom.

Also have to agree that negative marketing isn't the best approach. Market your USP and successes, not someone else's failures.

M&S for example don't bitch on about the nasty gristly bits in Lidl pasties...

I gave up Beatmatching over a year ago. When I joined the mobile game You don't need it to be a good mobile jock.

There are much more important things you need to concentrate on.

Many of which will be mentioned I'm sure during the life of this thread

www.accessallareasdisco.co.uk

Proud members of the NADJ

Quote Originally Posted by SPDJ View Post
    The important thing was to 'beat mix' the music together so there were none or as little silences between tracks as possible.
    Hi there SPDJ,

You don't have to beat mix the music to avoid silences between tracks.

I don't have silences between the tracks I play in the main part of the disco, but I never beatmix.

Quote Originally Posted by SPDJ View Post
    Hence my company SP Entertainment. The marketing of which focuses exclusivley on the art of mixing and how it is beneficial to any party or event where a DJ is required. No other disco I have seen or heard of does this.
    Maybe the reason no other disco you've seen focuses exclusively on the art of mixing is because it's not something most clients are particularly bothered about.

I thought your mixes were good - and the site looked fine.