Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mini Gig Review - Massive Faux Pas!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ecstatic Events View Post
    I use a small footnote PC. A mouse, keyboard and mic would of been a bit of a handful!!!

I had to say something!!! Of course I apologised after the first dance had finished using the mic, when i got my breath back
    Sounds like 1-0 to a Denon or Cortex controller. one hand puts the track back--the other has the mike giving some

I dont listen to the tracks personally--as I dont have earphones

BUT I do a run through on the Cortex at home to check the track plays correctly.

Personally rather than a back up CD I have my trusty i pod cued up with the track as well, although next Saturdays first dance will be on my Mini Disc Player--the big daddy of all that is 100 per cent reliable in the digital world

No back up necessary

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    Sounds like 1-0 to a Denon or Cortex controller. one hand puts the track back--the other has the mike giving some

I dont listen to the tracks personally--as I dont have earphones

BUT I do a run through on the Cortex at home to check the track plays correctly.

Personally rather than a back up CD I have my trusty i pod cued up with the track as well, although next Saturdays first dance will be on my Mini Disc Player--the big daddy of all that is 100 per cent reliable in the digital world

No back up necessary
    Some of us running two HDC's have the same track cued up on both machines. I had one where a track failed on one, so I switched to the other machine.

Mini Disc? I still miss it.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Mini Disc Player--the big daddy of all that is 100 per cent reliable in the digital world
    Just wait til your discs start getting old and worn out
    Mind you, some of my discs are the wrong side of 14 years old and well abused
    Simon (Grumpy old man) - and proud of it

Can you still get minidiscs? I thought they'd gone the way of 8 tracks & Betamax.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    Can you still get minidiscs? I thought they'd gone the way of 8 tracks & Betamax.
    Unfortunately, they are indeed on the way out.

However, a quick search on an auction site found a fair few people still selling brand new blank discs, so for thouse of us who use them, things are alright for the time being.

It's fortunate that mini discs can be used over & over again.

Like Crazy, I've also found them to be the most reliable playout format there is.

I've been using them for the music round in my quiz a fair few times each week for more than a decade now, and have never had a single problem.

And I too found them the most reliable and versatile playout system I've ever used. Superb for creating quizzes. Unless there's some numpty proof software for doing it with MP3's?

Well done for turning it around Mike...

I had a similar situation recently. I'd put the first dance into the playlist in Virtual DJ at the start of the evening but then did a bit of 'house keeping' in Windows explorer tidying up some random files. In the process I had unknowingly moved the first dance from it's original location.

I got on the mic and announced the first dance, called the B&G to the floor and got all 150 guests up and realised I hadn't cued the song. When I went to load it from the playlist Virtual DJ couldn't find it!

There was a 15 second delay while I frantically searched for the song... 15 seconds is a long long time under those circumstances. I've had proper nightmares about this in the past but the reality was much worse... not an experience I want to repeat!

The gig was a great success in the end but I can't help thinking I messed it up big time by not being prepared. I've now taken to the practice of burning a CD of the first dance and having it cued ready to go, I'll never be caught out like that again...
    ----------www.partyshopdisco.co.uk - www.weddingdiscodorset.co.uk
    -----Outstanding Wedding Disco Entertainment for Dorset & Somerset
    -----------------------01305 775579 - 07876 136663

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    Yes you can buy them, but the only way I can see me wearing them out
    is what I did a few years ago, dropped one into my drink

They will outlast the players--still I have 2 of Peters old ones to use so thats me covered till I throw in the Hat

Yes you can buy them, but the only way I can see me wearing them out
    is what I did a few years ago, dropped one into my drink

They will outlast the players--still I have 2 of Peters old ones to use so thats me covered till I throw in the Hat;)
    Play your cards right, you could have a few more. Since I now don't use the last player I have, they're not too valuable to me.

Sony Neige 80 minute blank minidisc 10 disc pack:...Sony Neige 80 minute blank minidisc 10 disc pack:...
    I can remember paying £7 each for the first discs I bought. And you couldn't get them everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Play your cards right, you could have a few more. Since I now don't use the last player I have, they're not too valuable to me.

Sony Neige 80 minute blank minidisc 10 disc pack: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I can remember paying £7 each for the first discs I bought. And you couldn't get them everywhere.
    You know my address--even better you could send over your whole mini disc music collection as you wont be needing it--naturally every track will be carefully documented in a folder like mine